We are picking up a new old song.

gonzobassman

• Members

Black Betty by Ram Jam.I played this song about ten years ago,and relearning it,I must say that I love how tight it has to be to be performed correctly.IMO it is a great "drummer spotlight" song,but the guitar,and the bass have pretty meaty parts as well.Playing bass,drums,and one guitar (in this band)leaves no margin for error,and I think I'm really going to dig doing this one! Again!

• Members

I've tried playing that for years. Never comes out with the right feel.

Hope you guys kill it.

The middle is where it is "make it,or break it".Break it,and it will be trainwreck city...Make it,and it should feel pretty good.I'm fairly confident in this band's ability so I'm expecting it to be a grand slam for us.

• Members

There is a pretty popular hard rock cover of Black Betty that has been getting a lot of airplay in recent years. (I think the band is Spiderbait). It's not nearly as cool, but it has brought the coolness of the original back to peoples minds.

BTW - do you ever wonder who thought it would be a good thing to name a band "Ram Jam?"

DB

• Members

The middle is where it is "make it,or break it".

Yes, the middle...

Are you aware it's generally considered so challenging/weird because of a (poorly done, IMO) tape edit?

In other words, that little hiccup/hesitation in the midst of it isn't how the band played the song...it was done after the fact...a bad tape cut/splice.

A couple years ago, there must have been some sort of remaster release or something, because i started hearing local AOR stations play an unedited middle section version of the song...there's another 8-16 bars or so, and no weird hitch occurs.

After hearing that song for decades, it was a little weird to hear, actually.

Makes me wonder...

I've seen bands play it before. They always go for the original release edit...the one most of us surely know.

Any chance you'll look for the unedited version and try to do that instead?

• Members

No,probably not.Our drummer has really put the effort into it to get it "right",so we will probably just go for what we know.That is an interesting tid-bit of music trivia though.That stupid little triplet? that he does in the first set of breaks sounds like it might have been where that cut is,seeing as how it seems to make no musical sense at all!!! Lol

Archived