Ready to drop some real cash, drum recommendations?

vangkm

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by El Glom-o

View Post

Since the question is about used drums, why is nobody mentioning Ludwig, Rogers, Gretsch, Slingerland, or Leedy?

My feeling is that these would be more expensive if they were in decent shape. I've seen plenty of used modern import kits going cheap, and they don't sound bad. Older kits might have wore-out bearing edges, bad wrap, and/or bad hardware. Bang for the buck, I would go with used import.

• Members

View Post

Since the question is about used drums, why is nobody mentioning Ludwig, Rogers, Gretsch, Slingerland, or Leedy?

My feeling is that these would be more expensive if they were in decent shape. I've seen plenty of used modern import kits going cheap, and they don't sound bad. Older kits might have wore-out bearing edges, bad wrap, and/or bad hardware. Bang for the buck, I would go with used import.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cratz View Post
Was to be taken with a grain of humor.
That's what I thought, but considering some of the things I've seen posted in H-C, couldn't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by agogobill View Post
My feeling is that these would be more expensive if they were in decent shape. Bang for the buck, I would go with used import.
That's what I figured to be the main reason, particularly for pre-'80's sets.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cratz View Post
Was to be taken with a grain of humor.
That's what I thought, but considering some of the things I've seen posted in H-C, couldn't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by agogobill View Post
My feeling is that these would be more expensive if they were in decent shape. Bang for the buck, I would go with used import.
That's what I figured to be the main reason, particularly for pre-'80's sets.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by El Glom-o View Post

Half the time, used Slingerland drums have ragged out hardware on them. I had a Slingerland kit for 5 years. The drums weren't too bad, but the hardware was awful. I had to drill them for new Tom brackets and new kick spurs, and they really needed to have the bearing edges reworked.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by El Glom-o View Post

Half the time, used Slingerland drums have ragged out hardware on them. I had a Slingerland kit for 5 years. The drums weren't too bad, but the hardware was awful. I had to drill them for new Tom brackets and new kick spurs, and they really needed to have the bearing edges reworked.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Consume View Post
Half the time, used Slingerland drums have ragged out hardware on them.

You've seen this often? In what way would the hardware be "ragged out"? I bought my Slingerland set when it was approx 10 years old, and the only problem with the hardware was some rust on the vertical post of the tom mount.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Consume View Post
Half the time, used Slingerland drums have ragged out hardware on them.

You've seen this often? In what way would the hardware be "ragged out"? I bought my Slingerland set when it was approx 10 years old, and the only problem with the hardware was some rust on the vertical post of the tom mount.

• Members

View Post

Broken tom mounts, kick spur mounts stripped out, etc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vangkm View Post

Checked out a few Yamaha Oak Custom demos and they sound great but are hard to find used and they're still very pricey used, same with the Tama bubingas.

My kit is a Yamaha Custom Absolute; all toms are hanging and birch, and the snare is maple. I think you can tune either birch or maple to do what you want, too.

-D44

Archived