Ekit thiking about Alesis DM10x

boxofrocks

• Members

In more serious regard to helping silence the floor thump of a kick pedal, I have had great luck with my neighbors at 3 different locations (including current top floor apt) by using a simple DIY riser. Just use the physics of alternating dense and less dense mass for the vibrations to work through and you should be good.

Mine Top down:
-Thick carpet/rug, something the velcro can grip to [soft Layer]
-1/2" plywood [Dense Layer]
-2x layers of interlocking gym/garage foam rubber mats. [softish Layer]
-Carpeted floor or thinner mat/rug if you have hard floors. [soft Layer

Now, you will still "hear" the kick as much as normal (its pretty quiet with mesh heads though) but you wont "feel" it as much away from the kit, or next door. No complaints from the people below me yet.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks View Post
I pulled the trigger on the DM10x kit last night.
Sweetwater has them for 999.00 free ship right now. That's $350 off. And nobody will price match it. I tried. Best deal you can get. Go get it!
We've been using the dm8 to record for a bit. Can't complain about it. I tend to think the rack is the weakest link, but regular stands will work if it comes to that.

• Members

Exactly what I was thinking of doing.
I'm not a fan of racks at all, but eKits are always bundled with them.
The DM10X rack looks fairly sturdy (from reviews I've seen) but it's still a rack.
I'd like to use snare stands and cymbal stands, #1 eliminates cross talk indefinitly, #2 position of every drum exactly where it would be on an acoustic kit, and #3 looks and feel for me. I might do that, I'll have to see how this rack feels first. Should be here in a couple of days. Expect a full nerdy review.

• Members

boxofrocks..i recall you had a youtube channel? did you close it? I was looking at the drum video thread and it seems your video links aren't working...

Anyhoo...racks aren't too bad. It's convenient if you have quite a few cymbals, but i agree on the limitations though. The DM 10x comes with a very sturdy chrome rack. It should hold up any abuse you can through at it. Looking forward to the review. smile.gif

• Members
boxofrocks..i recall you had a youtube channel? did you close it? I was looking at the drum video thread and it seems your video links aren't working...
Yeah I did, had a bunch of spam and stuff and deleted it.
Search for Simon Kent Smith or North Border Gardener.. One is my music channel the other is gardening and stuff. Sub me I'll sub ya back biggrin.gif

• Members

lol, yeah I kind of did, took a year off, didn't even log into the forum.
The kit is here, so far I just got it set up, still waiting on the throne and pedal to get here from Amazon so couldn't play her yet, which sucks, to have a new kit, and all you can do is look at it.. But the build quality is better then expected, the pads are actual drum size and very familiar and playable. It looks like a drum kit from the drivers seat. Minus the bass drum of course. Would be awesome to have a 16 inch pad for a bass drum, even though you only use a small area, for the look and feel that would be great. In fact I may get me a 16 inch tom or something and mount the bass trigger to it. Everything else is real kit size and feel. 12 inch hats, 14 inch crashes, 16 inch ride, 10 rack toms, 12 inch floor toms, and 12 inch snare. Going to enjoy playing this kit. If my pedal and throne ever get here!!! Hurry up UPS!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell View Post
You are thinking too small 1001. Why use sticks or pads at all? All that tactile stuff just slows you down and gets in the way of the groove, which flows through the air naturally.

Adventures of Power had it right. "I dont need to play drums, I AM drums..."
There you go. Right smack in the zone. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell View Post
In more serious regard to helping silence the floor thump of a kick pedal, I have had great luck with my neighbors at 3 different locations (including current top floor apt) by using a simple DIY riser. Just use the physics of alternating dense and less dense mass for the vibrations to work through and you should be good.

Mine Top down:
-Thick carpet/rug, something the velcro can grip to [soft Layer]
-1/2" plywood [Dense Layer]
-2x layers of interlocking gym/garage foam rubber mats. [softish Layer]
-Carpeted floor or thinner mat/rug if you have hard floors. [soft Layer

Now, you will still "hear" the kick as much as normal (its pretty quiet with mesh heads though) but you wont "feel" it as much away from the kit, or next door. No complaints from the people below me yet.
Plus tennis balls.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks View Post
lol, yeah I kind of did, took a year off, didn't even log into the forum.
The kit is here, so far I just got it set up, still waiting on the throne and pedal to get here from Amazon so couldn't play her yet, which sucks, to have a new kit, and all you can do is look at it.. But the build quality is better then expected, the pads are actual drum size and very familiar and playable. It looks like a drum kit from the drivers seat. Minus the bass drum of course. Would be awesome to have a 16 inch pad for a bass drum, even though you only use a small area, for the look and feel that would be great. In fact I may get me a 16 inch tom or something and mount the bass trigger to it. Everything else is real kit size and feel. 12 inch hats, 14 inch crashes, 16 inch ride, 10 rack toms, 12 inch floor toms, and 12 inch snare. Going to enjoy playing this kit. If my pedal and throne ever get here!!! Hurry up UPS!!
You know this calls for pics..

I took a long unwanted break too, but i am back at it now. hopefully life wont throw more curve balls. i hear ya on the kick drums. it just looks god damn awful. you can try modding a floor tom and see if that works out. post videos of the kit as well (with stocks sounds vs SD).

Looking forward to the review. FYI: bhphoto.com dropped the price to $950. see if you can get the price difference.

Archived