Bones player update

deepflight

• Members

You guys may remember me from when I posted a few months back.... looking for advice on how to improve playing rhythm bones.  I'm still working on the bones and still mostly playing in the context of an adult "band class" for playing jug band music, though I also have been having fun going out to jam sessions lately. 

The woman who had been playing the suitcase drum kit dropped out due to work commitments, so I got elected to take over.  Yike!  A little nervous-making playing kick drum for the first time ever with the whole class playing and looking at me!   It was just kind of like, you've got a decent sense of rhythm, play the kick drum (really a drum pedal attached to an old suitcase), while you are playing your bones.  Then the next thing I know I've been handed some drumsticks and told to figure it out.  

It's a good thing I watched those videos you guys pointed out earlier, at least I had some idea of how to hold the sticks.  Needless to say, for the time being the drummer in our band sucks. :-)    

It's not a normal drum kit though, which is probably all to the good in my case.  I've got a tin can and a wooden box to drum on.  Along with the top of the suitcase of course.  It's kind of a challenge playing this way as compared with the bones.  It's an adventure, and good fun!

• Members

Thanks, 1001gear. I'll watch that video right away.  You will be amused to know that playing that kick drum like I'm tapping my foot (which I do *constantly* anyway) is the instruction I was given.  And it works!

Whew, things got more complicated this week -- we are playing what he calls a "crooked" tune (some measures have four beats, some have five) and the instructor wants me to play an accent at the start of each measure so the rest of the class has something to follow.  I can do it, but it's sure making me think!

I rarely feel the need to count when I'm playing guitar, but I definitely do when I'm drumming.  And I'm finding that while I have no problems singing and playing guitar, or singing and playing bones, there are some songs where it's nearly impossible for me to to play the drum correctly and sing at the same time.

Archived