Big Gig....What To Charge???

• Members

Hello, here is my situation. A lady has called me requesting my band (3 piece acoustic trio) play her husbands birthday party in a month. We are her second choice..............her first was a "very popular national band". They wanted $65,000. She said it was "a little" too much for her and just couldn't spare taking out a mortgage right now. She wants us to play 4 sets. Now obviously we can't shoot a quote in the 5 digits range or anything like that, but I'm thinking this could be a huge money gig for us. For those of you who may know.........what is a fair price to charge for a country club private engagement for an acoustic trio, we are becoming highly demanded in our area meaning we would have to cancel a regular Sat. night gig to do the show in the first place.....and considering this lady has some cash to work with. i'm thinking a figure of $1,500 to $2,500. Am I crazy...........am I lowballing - what do you think. I have until 11 am tomorrow to quote her.

Thanks - Jay

St. Louis, Mo.

• Members

I always highball if anything because you do not get what you do not ask for. If it's too high you can come down and it won't hurt you as much. Think of your expenses, travel, lodging if neccesary. Make sure that it is all laid out. Country Clubs have the money so I would not worry, it is a high profile type gig. They are usually boring but pay well. Have her sign a contract also.

• Members

Take what you normally charge. That is your absolute minimum. If you normally make $600 it might be a little outrageous to ask for $3000.

I would go for double what you normally make.

However, if they have money to burn and you've got balls then go for it and ask for $3000 and see what happens. You might lose the gig but maybe not. It's no good if you start at $3000 and end up at $1000.

But if you start at $2500 and end at $2000 you're looking good.

That's my opinion for whatever it's worth - which ain't much.

• Members

Hell, I'll throw in something here -- since I get paid squat for my gigs! The best nights we have are when we get paid by the headcount we bring in. Ask her how many people are coming to the party, sounds like it should be large at a country club, and multiply that by a reasonable rate you have in advance, say $20 a head and throw just the total price at her (keep your formula to yourself). 100 people at 20 bucks a head is $2000.

Do you guys have to bring a PA? If so, add cost for lugging one of those around. For three people, I'd start at $2400 personally ($800 ea). But remember this advice comes from a guys who makes about a $100 bucks a gig that needs to be split up between a five piece band and our tabs usually are higher than that! Gotta love this business.....

BTW, who was she trying to get that wanted $65,000? CSN&Y or James Taylor?

Archived