Give me reasons not to do this...

Greenshoe

• Members

In the past year, I have been seriously thinking of starting a label/distribution company in Vancouver (my hometown), and some post-production sound as extra income. I've been playing music since I was like 3, so it's a vital organ like my liver, and feel compelled to do something with it careerwise by combining my business experience/educational background (expensive MBA). I'm relatively happy at my job now (biz/legal affairs at an animation studio) but feel I could be happier having my own thing. I've had prior experience on wall street and helping raise venture capital money.

For those of you who have experience in this area, please give me reasons why I shouldn't do this or what pitfalls I should look out for. Bluestrat? Outcaster? I just need a reality check here.

Thanks

• Members

Well you probably have more business sense than a lot of people as well as street smarts. That often can get you a long way. Plus you education helps. I know that staying in business is the tough part to get some capital constantly coming in. You might want to do some "market research" if you will. My buddy I used to play with is starting a simalair business mainly his own studio. He has a lot of instruments and gear and eventually it wil be time to expand. He wants to start his own label. I am not as up on all the business part of distrubution. bluestrat knows alittle better about that side of it. Good Luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

Well you probably have mosre business sense than a lot of people as well as street smarts. That often can get you a long way. Plus you education helps. I know that staying in business is the tough part to get some capital constantly coming in. You might want to do some "market research" if you will. My buddy I used to play with is starting a simalair business mainly his own studio. He has a lot of instruments and gear and eventually it wil be time to expand. He wants to start his own label. I am not as up on all the business part of distrubution. bluestrat knows alittle better about that side of it. Good Luck.

Thanks, you're probably giving me more credit that I deserve. Starting ANY business is tough personally and financially, but I just wonder how rough it will be when it comes to the music biz - just so I know what I'll have to be faced with before making the plunge. I've always felt that for something like this one can't go in half-assed (i.e. keep the day job) if you want to run a successful business, as it takes more energy and time than one has.

I've done some prelim market research, and have some ideas for distribution/retail that is non-conventional but hasn't been tested - it's not prohibitively expensive, but requires some capital nonetheless. I look at the guy who started Naxos the classical label, and how he eeked it out for a couple years, kept costs as low as possible before making it a decent business and a niche for himself.

Bluestrat? Anyone else?

• Members

Originally posted by Greenshoe

Thanks, you're probably giving me more credit that I deserve. Starting ANY business is tough personally and financially, but I just wonder how rough it will be when it comes to the music biz - just so I know what I'll have to be faced with before making the plunge. I've always felt that for something like this one can't go in half-assed (i.e. keep the day job) if you want to run a successful business, as it takes more energy and time than one has.

I've done some prelim market research, and have some ideas for distribution/retail that is non-conventional but hasn't been tested - it's not prohibitively expensive, but requires some capital nonetheless. I look at the guy who started Naxos the classical label, and how he eeked it out for a couple years, kept costs as low as possible before making it a decent business and a niche for himself.

Bluestrat? Anyone else?

Yeah try it on the side. I was trying to sell antiques on the side, mostly toys and stuff and learned the market is just flooded with collectors especially with E-bay out there. The internet is here so that could be a great tool for marketing for you. I know that musicians do not have a lot of money usually and that always hurts us.

• Members

Hi,

I noticed you are in SF. There is a great scene here with tons of bands and labels. I think the down side is that owning a record label/recording studio/band is hard work with a lot of outgo and not much income. Having said that, it is also probably very rewarding. I think you should e-mail Cory Brown at Absolutely Kosher records to talk about it. Go to www.absolutelykosher.com and find his e-mail. Cory is a super nice guy putting out great records and making a go of it. Good luck. If you need any bands, let me know.

Be well,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Greenshoe

In the past year, I have been seriously thinking of starting a label/distribution company in Vancouver (my hometown), and some post-production sound as extra income. I've been playing music since I was like 3, so it's a vital organ like my liver, and feel compelled to do something with it careerwise by combining my business experience/educational background (expensive MBA). I'm relatively happy at my job now (biz/legal affairs at an animation studio) but feel I could be happier having my own thing. I've had prior experience on wall street and helping raise venture capital money.

For those of you who have experience in this area, please give me reasons why I shouldn't do this or what pitfalls I should look out for. Bluestrat? Outcaster? I just need a reality check here.

Thanks

It sounds like you're talking about three distinct businesses, each with a potential of being a full time job in itself. When you say post-production sound, are you talking about a mastering lab, or a mixing facility, or both?

My former distibutor (Burnside distribution in Portland, OR) was a division of an independent label, Burnside records, but they were separate entities. The distributor folded last year, so they are trying to reorganize. Perhaps a good way to go about it would be to establish distribution contacts and become a distributor for various indies that have none, for 2 bucks a CD or so. Once you have that set up, then maybe start the label process. Post production is always something that can be hired out and taken on in-house at a later time. Hope this makes sense, and I hope it works out for you. Let me know if you get a distribution system set up!

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

It sounds like you're talking about three distinct businesses, each with a potential of being a full time job in itself. When you say post-production sound, are you talking about a mastering lab, or a mixing facility, or both?

My former distibutor (Burnside distribution in Portland, OR) was a division of an independent label, Burnside records, but they were separate entities. The distributor folded last year, so they are trying to reorganize. Perhaps a good way to go about it would be to establish distribution contacts and become a distributor for various indies that have none, for 2 bucks a CD or so. Once you have that set up, then maybe start the label process. Post production is always something that can be hired out and taken on in-house at a later time. Hope this makes sense, and I hope it works out for you. Let me know if you get a distribution system set up!

Bluestrat, thanks for the advice. It's really just ideas that are brewing in my head at this point, but finding a way to make it pay for itself even on a very small scale. For post-pro I was thinking mixing facility and sound design (some film/tv producers consider this production, others post-pro depending on the project). Cheers

Archived