Does buying new gear put you in the Doghouse?

• Members

I would be interested in seeing what stories some of you musical vets have when you had to justify getting gear and having to explain to your wife or girlfriend?? Like the fact your 6 keyboards in the house do different things and they do not understand why it's neccasary to have 6 in the first place. I know you can get into the doghouse and then your spose does not talk to you for a month.!

• Members

Originally posted by EngineGuitarist

just tell her it was on sale, she won't argue with that.
:D

Ha! You don't know my wife!

I am a good gear sneak - I can get small stuff under the radar pretty easily. "Honey, what's this black thingie?". "Oh that? Well, I've had that for years but I decided to drag it out and use it!". "Oh, ok".

I find that all purchases must involve subtrifuge. If I'm going to buy something, and I know I am, I engage in niceties for a good month before my purchase. Take the wifey out, buy her some new clothes, etc. Then, the blow is softened.

• Members

Originally posted by swingset

I am a good gear sneak - I can get small stuff under the radar pretty easily. "Honey, what's this black thingie?". "Oh that? Well, I've had that for years but I decided to drag it out and use it!". "Oh, ok".

I find that all purchases must involve subtrifuge. If I'm going to buy something, and I know I am, I engage in niceties for a good month before my purchase. Take the wifey out, buy her some new clothes, etc. Then, the blow is softened.

Exactly. I had another keyboardist in the band with me and last year I bought an old Korg O1w/fd and a T2 and I blamed it on my buddy. She asked me "how many keyboards do you have"?. I would then say "it's not mine I am fixing it for Gary". I snuck a brand new Korg CX-3 away under the radar.

• Members

Geez, you guys have some lousy women in your lives.... :)

My fiancée (for only 23 more days...!) knows I'm a musician. She has known that ever since we met and that, even though I'm no longer in a band nor am I really looking for that elusive "music career" anymore, it's still a big part of who I am.

And sometimes, that requires MORE GEAR!!! (aaaarrr ar ar ar ar...)

The only price I have to pay in order to gain permission to buy new gear is to play her something pretty. Any wonder I'm marrying this girl? :D

• Members

Music is the one joy in my pathetic little life, and Mrs. Kingnome has never made a single squeak about my gear purchases (to me). I imagine my mother-in-law has heard an awful lot about it, but I NEVER have.

She really likes my music, and I think that has a lot to do with it.

• Members

My wife is more or less oblivious to my musical purchases. She's never complained. As long as I don't buy $10,000 worth of stuff and we really need a car then there's no problem.

But seriously, all my really expensive purchases have already been made and now it's just little things here and there like drum sticks, heads, cymbals, kick pedals, etc. Nothing more than a couple hundred dollars at best (or worse depending on your point of view.)

• Members

Hah! My girl was told from the start that music is the most important thing in my life and always will be. As long as I don't indebt us to loan sharks, or let the bills get completely outta hand, I am allowed to buy whatever I think I need . . .

In fact, my girl got pissed at me two weeks ago when I started waffling on whether to buy the active studio monitors I wanted (Mackie HR824's at $1,100 a pair), or the ones that were cheaper (Event 20/20 bas at $700 a pair). She glared at me and said, "Get the damned Mackies, cuz you won't be happy with the others!"

Love that girl . . . think I should marry her???

:cool:

Layyyter . . .

• Members

I went to buy some guitar strings, and came home with a Fender Clapton Signature Strat. When she saw me walk in with the tweed case, she gave me a puzzled look. "Honey, I bought the strings, but they were attached to this here guitar"!!!! She couldn't help but laugh. I did tell her that I would get rid of a few things in my studio, to justify the expense. I managed to scrap together every penny, and paid it off before I even got the credit card bill. To me, it was the motivation that I needed to do a little housekeeping. It's a great addition to my `Guitar Barn'.

Pongo

• Members

I hate spending money on something that I won't use in a gig situation. So I sell all the stuff that i don´t use, and won´t buy anything that i don´t need. all my purchases are done with gig money, and as long as I earn enough to buy her a dress from time to time, and the occational vacation, she doesn´t grumble too much. She does not understand the tax deduction thing, so I´ve stopped using that one. Thing is as long as she get enough of the old In & out action, she does not complain about anything ! Simple but true.

Baard:p

• Members

Originally posted by swingset

Correct me if I'm wrong but theres a Johnson J-station sitting beside your computer that you told your wife was mine.

Don't worry I'll never tell. :)

Archived