I've got 4 weeks to improve my singing, got any pointers? (clips inside)

ambient

• Members

I've always been a guitarist and never much of a singer, but I'm getting married next month [:)] want to play/sing a song at the reception.

I've chosen Love Song by The Cure, here's a clip of me giving it a go. Sorry for the noisy recording.

http://soundcloud.com/mysoapbox/love-song

I'm toying with the idea of tacking the first verse of 'you are my sunshine' to the end of it to, the major key might be a nice contrast.

Any advice on how I can be a little better? I know I need to practice the tune more and my pitch isn't so great.

I'm not expecting any miracles in such a short space of time, but if there's anything obvious that I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate some help in fixing it.

• Members

There's nothing you're really 'doing wrong' except for singing off key at points. The only thing I'll say is try to pay more attention to the pitch you're meant to be singing.

This would be easier with proper practice. Daily practice for about 4 weeks and you'd deffo improve but if you're getting married I doubt you have the time :p

EDIT:

It is a valid question, but think if you'd asked that for any other kind of instrument. You are doing things 'wrong' but it's not really simply a matter of telling you what you're doing wrong.

"This is me playing the tuba - what am I doing wrong?"

For live purposes, you're good enough. Just look passionate and people will think you're good.

• Members

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply. The last line was actually a pretty big confidence boost, as I've never really sung in front of an audience before.

I know I need to work on my pitch, I don't really know what to do except go through each line of the song and make sure I know exactly what note I'm aiming for where. Instead of trying to fudge it.

What do you mean by 'practice'? Just play the same song over and over or are there some exercises I should be doing?

• Members

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply. The last line was actually a pretty big confidence boost, as I've never really sung in front of an audience before.

I know I need to work on my pitch, I don't really know what to do except go through each line of the song and make sure I know exactly what note I'm aiming for where. Instead of trying to fudge it.

What do you mean by 'practice'? Just play the same song over and over or are there some exercises I should be doing?

There are vocal exercises but I wouldn't bother if you're not a committed vocalist :p

Listening to the song alot/singing along/singing it is your best bet.

As has been said, I'd really just have fun with it tbh :p

• Members

want to play/sing a song at the reception.

I've chosen Love Song by The Cure, here's a clip of me giving it a go. Sorry for the noisy recording.

I'm toying with the idea of tacking the first verse of 'you are my sunshine' to the end of it to, the major key might be a nice contrast.

Any advice on how I can be a little better? I know I need to practice the tune more and my pitch isn't so great.

I'm not expecting any miracles in such a short space of time, but if there's anything obvious that I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate some help in fixing it.

You have a good high range voice. It sounds okay to me - there's a couple of spots where you go for the high notes where it fallsl flat. Those are the parts you can keep working on.Try falsetto on those high notes. Lots of singers do that to save their voice when doing songs live. Other option is to "make it your own" and change those notes to make them in your range. I'd prefer the former. Congrats on getting married.

• Members

Agreed with the others. You sound pretty good already, but a couple of spots are off-pitch. Like it was already said, just concentrate more on getting the pitch right throughout the whole song. Maybe you can have someone who you know isn't tone-deaf to listen to you sing to pinpoint the parts where you might have a tendency to get off-key?

• Members

Sing the song, but instead of singing the words - sing vowel sounds. like start with a long E sound, and for 15 to 30 minutes, sing that sound to the melody. Then move on to A, I, U, and O sounds. Just do one vowel sound per day.

Also sing sliding scales where you start low and slide the note up in pitch on a vowel sound. Then slide back down, just keep working on that - make sure you drink a decent amount of water, and stay away from foods like milk, cheese, etc. that are known to produce excess phlegm.

Where you have weak spots - practice "sliding right through those areas with vowel sounds. I like starting with E; just my personal preference.

And yes, sing the song itself.

Archived