What are your musical goals this year?

davie

• Moderators

Hey guys, we're a pretty tight community in the singer's forum. I want you guys to feel free and tell us about your musical goals this year, not just singing goals, but in music overall. We can then give each other input, advice and motivation. :thu:

For example -

My goals:

-write and record a set of songs

-form a band

-get my songs heard

-improve my singing

• Members

Hey guys, we're a pretty tight community in the singer's forum. I want you guys to feel free and tell us about your musical goals this year, not just singing goals, but in music overall. We can then give each other input, advice and motivation.
:thu:

For example -

My goals:

-form a band

-get my songs heard

-improve my singing

- Keep doing my vocal routine (30 minute warmup, 30 minute drills, 30 minute song practice) everyday

- Learn to sightread. I can hear notes from a piano and sing them with correct pitch immediately, but I can't actually tell you what note I'm singing.

- Play an instrument (my Lanikai ukulele) and sing at the same time

- Buy a RISA solid Concert Ukulele from ukulele.de

- Teach myself piano (Piano Exercises by Karen Berger)

- Start making Youtube cover videos (with ukulele)

- Build a list of songs for karaoke, get the sheet music and practice, practice, practice

- Build a sense of pitch without using an instrument (Using a Solfege book and pitch pipe now)

- Learn to play Shinobue (a Japanese flute often used by taiko drum groups)

- I want to eventually write songs, but I don't think I'll get that far this year. I want to focus more on my voice, sightreading, and rhythm for now

- Start reading some vocal method books. For example "The Voice Book" and "Strengthening Your Voice".

- Establish and perform a daily rhythm routine with drum sticks and metronome.

- Get ripped (p90x) and improve physical health so that I can sing better

• Members

-try to build a clientele of vocal students (I get asked all the time at gigs, so I wanna cash in!...lol)

-quit slacking on practice

-write some original tunes...it's been about 2 years

-sing "Say Hello 2 Heaven" flawlessly

-make an honest woman out of Taylor Swift.....

• Members

For example -

My goals:

-form a band

-get my songs heard

-improve my singing

Pretty much this ^ apart from the forming a band, first step is converting the back portion of our garage into a small music room/home recording setup.

• Members

Make a surf music video.

Practice singing and improve.

I wanna be in your video! :)

Well...my first goal was to get back in shape and I am 90% there, dropped 38lb with 20 more to go!

Now I am re-focusing my singing back into training, I am on one man quest to meet and have lessons with every teacher I admire in the country so my travels will start in 2 or 3 weeks going to meet Ken Tamplin, from there, who knows! Maybe I'll stop in Vegas for a lesson with Stat!

For the duo, just want to amp up some rotation gigs so I can sing in more places that are open to the public as opposed to as many private gigs.

Also looking forward to more recording work with local artists doing original materials.

Rod

• Moderators

wow.. everyone's got a long list lol (err.. maybe just chamcham. :lol:)

@triq, looking forward to hearing some music. And you got a great voice. I would love to collaborate with you sometime :)

@chamcham, damn.. that's a huge list. It seems a bit overwhelming to be honest. It's gonna take A LOT of discipline!

@static, do itttt, i wanna hear some originals from you!!! (have a feeling that you're gonna end up sounding like Billy Joe :lol:) XD

@YeahDoIt, cool dude, looking forward to the video.

@ido, also looking forward to the songs. I really need to learn how to mix/master!!

@paganskins, do you have a band? and how's your setup going to be like? I'm like really obsessed with studio setups at the moment. lol :lol:

@mikey, the bridge transition is definitely tough. I'm still trying to smooth it out myself. My voice cracks a lot too above my break. lol.

@rod, that's great, you're a true example of a working musician. I think we all need to get out there and perform!

@gracie, you already got a lot of songs. Maybe you can just pick out the best songs and polish them up. :) Btw, are you going out to perform anytime soon?

• Members

@gracie, you already got a lot of songs. Maybe you can just pick out the best songs and polish them up.
:)
Btw, are you going out to perform anytime soon?

Yep, I sure do have a lot of songs...but I am always finding more inspiration and also, each time I do a new song, I find I move somewhat away from certain older ones I've done, and decide no, I don't want those on my album anymore. So with each new song comes growth, and I need that. I'm still a total novice at all this. I don't want to put a CD out and then 1-2 years later, feel dissatisfied or even embarrassed by some of the songs on it, you know?

Live performance? Nope. We are very occupied by trying to sell our apartment right now in this hideously flat property market. *groan* Singing live isn't high on my list of priorities right now. :)

• Members

I'd say this is the first year in which my musical goals are relatively clear-cut and I know where I want to go.

I hope to release a 12 song CD sometime in mid 2012. Been working on it for several years, and I have only two more tracks to complete...though that's proving to be a lofty goal. I find I have less free time these days to work on music, and my energy level often doesn't align with the free time I do have. So things aren't getting done as quickly as I'd like. But I continue to push on with it.

After that, I hope to have the songs professionaly mastered, and release them on CD.

I would also like to graduate beyond open-mics and become a more prominent player in the local music scene, networking and playing more shows, which I've already started taking small steps toward.

Then it's becoming more active in maintaining my presence on YouTube, Facebook Twitter, and various other music-related sites, and developing a bit more of a following there.

I guess if I were to distill my goals down to their essesnce, they would be release my CD, and play out more, with the aim of developing a following...the rest of the steps really just being a means to that end.

My final goal is to be able to look back in around April or May and feel satisfied that I've accomplished these goals. Time will tell.

• Members

Primarily: - improve singing technique and general ability (ongoing)

- record some covers and originals; post the covers on youtube to get feedback. This is scary because I honestly think I sound really bad. The pitch is ok though. At least I can get more feedback from the "public." And since I have to track all the other parts this will force me to practice guitar and keyboards more. I've kind of neglected those.

I ordered a microphone and interface mostly with the goal of putting stuff on youtube...lol

• Members

Goals?

Make some money to buy an interface so I can record myself again.

Expand my mixed voice to at least a G4, expand my head voice to a D5.

Learn to sing Largo Al Factotum and February Song.

Survive my music minor so I could possibly write my own music.

• Members

Please tell me more about this. I wanna improve my rhythm.

I have a short rhythm warmup that I do everyday.

In relation to a metronome click, there are 3 types of hits.

1)ON CLICK - hits that are in sync with the metronome click. Basic you hit on every metrnome click. (i.e. 1(click), 2(click), 3(click), etc)

2)ACROSS MULTIPLE CLICKS - hits that are across multiple clicks. So hit every 2 clicks (or 3 or 4 or whatever)

3)BETWEEN CLICKS - hits that are in-between clicks (one or more hits between each click).

The key is that you must hit with a fluid motion that doesn't pause or stop. If the timing is wrong, you simply alter the speed of the full motion until it's in sync with the metronome click. Often, I use my whole arm in a long full motion, instead of just isolating the wrist.

So this is what I do:

1)Hit on every metronome click

2)multiple hits between each click with an accent on the first hit (i.e. ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three). First I start off with ONE-two-ONE-two, then move on to ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three, and finally ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two-three-four.

3)Hit on every metronome click

4)hit once every X clicks (where x is usually 2,3,4, but can be anything)

5)change the tempo and go back to step 1

You're supposed to do 1-4 without pausing. The transitions between the steps should be seamless.

Next thing I do is work on subdivisions.

For example, the following adds up to a quarter note:

a)two eighth notes,

b)two sixteenths and an eight note

c)an eighth note and two sixteenth notes

d)four sixteenth notes

These are subdivisons.

I practice a steady half note rhythm, then I work on each of the subdivisions.

I practice a steady quarter note rhythm, then I work on each of the subdivisions.

I practice a steady eighth note rhythm, then I work on each of the subdivisions.

I have a metronome (Peterson BodySync) that has all the subdivisions stored in memory. So it's easy for me.

Anyway, that's my warmup routine.

After doing that I work on this book called "Sight read any rhythm instantly" by mark philips. It teaches how to internalize rhythms without explicitly counting the beats.

• Members

Revamping old songs I wrote

Write new material (changed genre, so it should be interesting (more folk rock now, was leaning towards Hardrock prior)

Bought a new Fender Strat Blacktop HSH with Line 6 spider 4 150watt amp.. (yeah yeah, I know... But for the price, it'll do -- hopefully)

In and out of bands due to their creative interesting changing, and always wanting to go the hard rock way......so Solo maybe, but either way, Out Summer 2012 performing...

Buy a mandolin.

Archived