Could have a vocal/mix critique for this song?

• Members

Hi, I rarely ask for things like this, but I have a new song I'm mixing on which I'm very insecure about my vocal performance. I would like general performance suggestions and vocal mix things I may be able to do to mask certain pitchy and waviness of my voice here. i.e. reverb, delay, compression, etc. Or if you think I should just retrack, that's fine too.

Feel free to break it down and break me down, I can take it.

I'm in the process of mixing this to completion, so general mix thoughts would help as well. I know there are engineers here on these boards from time to time....

New Mix below ...

• Members

I would say try another 3 or 4 takes and comp them, then fix the few spots you didn't nail using V-Vocal or some other tool. You seem to go flat on the lower, long drawn out words so you can focus there. Mix is cool, but I'm not digging the drummer - seems it's playing one thing and the rhythm is fighting it. I love the tune so this is one worth working further on to polish it up....

• Members

I would say try another 3 or 4 takes and comp them, then fix the few spots you didn't nail using V-Vocal or some other tool. You seem to go flat on the lower, long drawn out words so you can focus there. Mix is cool, but I'm not digging the drummer - seems it's playing one thing and the rhythm is fighting it. I love the tune so this is one worth working further on to polish it up....

Cool .. this is actually from an already comped version, but I guess I can look into the other versions again and go from there. You definitely have a point about the drums too , no surprise there .... On a side note I'm trying to collab with electronic programmer to give the rhythm section an electronic feel .. I'm thinking like a subtle constant 16th notes of hi-hat during the verses.

• Members

Love the tune and the sound of your voice, I'd say it's a good demo but if you are looking for a finished product then it needs some work.

Some spots can use some volume leveling in the vocals and some flat parts, maybe a breathing issue?

I am not as bothered by the drums but I can see what others are saying, it could be much better if you are looking for a finished product.

Would love to hear more of your stuff, it's very good, something I would drop cash for.

Rod

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello again .... I re-comped the vocal as suggested here and made a few mix enhancements. Still waiting on my dj friend to program some cool fluttery drums to this song ...

However, any thoughts are appreciated. Is this comp better, the mix? Still think I should retrack? That won't be a problem since I'm headed back to the studio NOvember to track on a bunch of new songs.

This is a weird vocal to begin with. I always feel like I'm almost always pitchy, but not at the same time. If that makes any sense ..... of course it doesn't.

Thanks again! [video=youtube;5th5iaXK7c8]

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Update:

The recomp above turned out to not be good enough. I was not happy with the performance of this song. So, I retracked the entire thing. A current, but not final mix of the new vocals is at the following link if anyone is still interested. http://soundcloud.com/soulground/rolling-wind

This was one of the toughest songs for me to get right. It's still a bit pitchy in some areas. Maybe I'm not used to singing slower songs, or I prefer to sing it live with a guitar. I've learned that when tracking vocals you should do whatever you can to make yourself comfortable. Being in your head is the #1 enemy when tracking vocals.

Archived