How the hell do u cooridnate everyone to show up to a rehearsal?

DukeOfBoom

• Members

Doing covers and playing out in front of people is a great way to unify a band, there is nothing better than the reward you get from an audience, it makes the work seem worth it and the band gets tighter. Use that to make your guys want to get together more often. Much better than four guys playing music in a basement with no goal in sight.

Rod

• Members

i was thinking along these lines: incentives.

we need to rehearse more to get a gig, and the gigs pay about $50 split 4 ways, so gigs themselves aren't much of a financial compensation.

if i had money to hire hookers for the practice and buy an 8 ball or two i would to incentive the cretins. when ur bootstrapping tho, i figure there must be alternative incentives

Wait $50 each or $50 split 4 ways? Either way... DAMN !

• Members

how could a football game be more important than rehearsal? I can't fathom this? There's 100 brand new games on weekly counting university games, and there's a little thing called TiVo as well if watching THAT particular game is so important. Compare to band rehearsal, which is a much much scarcer commodity.

A fine question, one you should put to any bandmate exhibiting this behaviour. I will say this:

Anyone willing to bail on practice to watch TV is NOT committed and I sure as {censored} would not rely on them to ever show up for a gig.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

@ duke ; hell if i kenew the answer to that my life would be sooo simple... anyway the best way ive seen it done was ( and i kid you not) the guy was loaded so he BOUGHT an extra house, all the equipment-everything.....and thats the only way he could get peeps to show up regularly...oh, and he supplied all the booze! thats how a sub-par rythem guitarist could get 5 peeps to show every time...now in the real world??

• Members

LOL.

If I have to play that classic rock cover {censored} for baby boomers...it ain't gonna happen. i rather DJ for hawt 22 year old coeds and get paid even more.

Get ready to start DJ'ing then, because the "classic rock cover {censored} for baby boomers" gigs tend to be the ones that actually allow you to make a living. One of my older friends has played for a living for 30+ years, and he told me that he has played "Brown-eyed Girl" and "Mustang Sally" virtually every weekend since 1978.

With the drummer I'd say you have two options, either reschedule practice time - or get another drummer.

Keep on the look out, there have to be more drummers around who are dedicated.

• Members

Supply the beer and you'll be surprised how many of your guys will show up on time...and time again. Sometimes you gotta treat your band mates like dogs and "train" the lazy SOB's!

We're four years into the same members and the "same guy" is still the late one without fault.

Also if there is "ANY" strife between members in the slightest and you'll see last minute "call ins" for "I cant make it". All it takes is one guy who is having a pissy day now have to show up at practice and face a guy he's got issues with, it's more {censored} he simply doesn't want to deal with that day.

• Members

Get ready to start DJ'ing then, because the "classic rock cover {censored} for baby boomers" gigs tend to be the ones that actually allow you to make a living. One of my older friends has played for a living for 30+ years, and he told me that he has played "Brown-eyed Girl" and "Mustang Sally" virtually every weekend since 1978.

We QUIT playing BEG and MS but WILL play it if asked or the crowd tends to be a little "older".

All my members are in our mid 40s. Our running joke is for the past couple years comes from a time we played to a "younger crowd". I was outside on break and a group of bar kids walked out and one said to his buddy "I'd like these guys if I was like 50". So we play our classic Journey, Bon Jovi, etc, but recently added some Train, Maroon 5, Cee Lo Green "F**K You" [which is a great song] and newer country tunes. We simply try to play "dance-able" tunes no matter what genre we play.

• Members

Hmmm.... having recently started a new project, I’d have to agree with those that suggested booking a show or some type of event. Nothing like a deadline staring you in the face to get you moving. Determine how much time you need to cover depending on the gig then figure out how many songs you want/need to learn per week, month or whatever to make the show. If everyone agrees and understands the goal, it’ll be harder for the guys to blow off rehearsal.

Before we did this, it was hard to get everyone to focus because there was always more time. Once time was finite, we got things done.

• Members

It can be frustrating when poeple aren't reliable... I feel your pain!!! Make it clear to them that you will not tolerate that behavior and that if this band is important to them and they want to be part of it; they have to show up. I would personally let them go and find replacements... May be they don't deserve to be in your band. Keep looking for musicians with the same mind set as yours and that want it as bad as you do. Good luck!

Archived