Song Post - Rebel Yell

MikeyParent

• Members

Yes finally - after a year and half (and much harassment) here is my first song post.

Done in a single take warts and all. no edits or post-processing.

Setup:

Audix OM3x -> Boss VE-20 (w/"Dynamics" and a bit of reverb) -> iMac -> Garage Band (no effects)

The "Dynamics" effect on the VE20 is a vocal "sweetener".

I tried twice on Tuesday but I was not happy with either result as my voice was still shiite. Voice is a bit better today - got this one on take 3 today (two warmups?)

Rebel Yell

Comments welcome but not necessary - this is basically because I felt weird being about the only regular here who has not posted themselves.

• Members

Don't think your voice fits the verses... dunno. Sounds too bright I think, though you handle the chorus really well. Good singing, just... something about the verses is bugging me - accent, or your timbre, can't quite put my finger on it, but I think this song should just sound more Billy Idol ( he always reminded me of a demon )

• Members

Solid! I like this song but it is a shame it got so over used in wedding bands! Nice job by you on the singing, the higher parts were very good! The mixing was not so hot, the voice was burried in the music but still good enough to showcase your voice! Thanks for sharing!

Rod

• Members

Like Shadow hinted at, your lower register is weak, MikeyParent. You sing the verses like you've been listening to too much Hank Williams Sr rather than Billy Idol chutzpah. Consequently, when you sing about a hot little angel crawling to you on the floor, well, it's not very believable. Maybe, a white trash ho with 7 children, but not a hot little angel.

• Members

Solid! I like this song but it is a shame it got so over used in wedding bands! Nice job by you on the singing, the higher parts were very good! The mixing was not so hot, the voice was burried in the music but still good enough to showcase your voice! Thanks for sharing!

Rod

Yeah I was fighting with Garage Band on the Mac for the first time for all this... I think I mixed this one too low and I think I overcompensated in the Metallica song by making the vocals a bit too hot.

This one caused me a bit of grief because of the quiet and loud parts too I think.

• Members

So I was not posting to solicit feedback, but I think there is a consensus I have a problem with the lower register portions of this song. I am on key (I believe) so I think it is my tone.

So, any suggestions? Add some grit? Try different intonations? British accent? :-)

Archived