Singers who ruin bands (e.g. David Lee Roth)

KingOfBling

• Members

So on occasion I listen to the radio. Everyone once in awhile a band comes on where I think, "I would like this band a lot (maybe) if the wanker frontman didn't screw everything up."

There are guys who aren't good singers, like Bob Dylan, who don't screw up the music. Then there are these types of singers who screw up perfectly good music.

Here is my list:

1) Every singer Van Halen has ever had (DLR, Hagar, Charone)

2) Homeboy from Dream Theater

3) Homeboy from Rush

• Members

Roth sucked, I read somewhere that in the studio they had to track his vocals one line at a time cause he couldn't stay on pitch.

HAHAHA!!! I don't think I would have survived that. His band mates have a lot of patience.

• Members

Roth sucked, I read somewhere that in the studio they had to track his vocals one line at a time cause he couldn't stay on pitch.

I believe this. You don't have to Google too hard to find a concert video of Roth {censored}ing up something big time. Off-key, forgetting the words, etc.

• Members

To me a singer that ruined a band would be someone like Stapp in Creed...he made them, then decided to become a "ruler" and ruined the band. That is if you lked them to start with! Or Axl in Guns...Bach in Skid Row...guys that defined the band's sound and then killed them with ego trips...

Now a band that I wish had a diferent singer to my taste...would be something like Asia...I always imagined that super pop band with someone like Paul Rogers fronting them! That would be a super group!

Rod

• Members

Ugh. Always more interested than running around being a dork than singing the {censored}ing song. I love Dave on record, but live
:facepalm:

DLR era VH was all about the party atmosphere, if you wanted to hear the vocals like the LP then stay home and spin the LP! If you want to go have a good ol' time, hear some live tunes (and not some guy just staring at his feet singing perfectly) and maybe pick up a lil' sweetie to bring home, then this was the show to catch.....

• Members

DLR era VH was all about the party atmosphere, if you wanted to hear the vocals like the LP then stay home and spin the LP! If you want to go have a good ol' time, hear some live tunes (and not some guy just staring at his feet singing perfectly) and maybe pick up a lil' sweetie to bring home, then this was the show to catch.....

I don't expect studio quality vocals live and I get the party thing - thats the "Dave" experience - but I still think there needs to be a balance between party and delivering some level of musicianship. Trust me, I do appreciate the showmanship and all... but forgetting the words cause he was too busy being a showboating dork, or just talking for 2-3 minutes while the band was trying to play the song - its ridiculous and annoying. He's kind of a joke really.

• Members

To me a singer that ruined a band would be someone like Stapp in Creed...he made them, then decided to become a "ruler" and ruined the band. That is if you lked them to start with! Or Axl in Guns...Bach in Skid Row...guys that defined the band's sound and then killed them with ego trips...

Now a band that I wish had a diferent singer to my taste...would be something like Asia...I always imagined that super pop band with someone like Paul Rogers fronting them! That would be a super group!

Rod

I kind of agree, even though is hard to say who´s fault was when those bands broke up...I mean, I dont think Axl was the only onw with a huge ego back on GNR days

• Members

To me a singer that ruined a band would be someone like Stapp in Creed...he made them, then decided to become a "ruler" and ruined the band.

Scott Stapp was probably one of the biggest douches out there...god I hate that guy. Completely ripped off Vedder's style...and very poorly I might add.

Another one is Brad Nowell from Sublime. Don't get me wrong, I love Sublime...but he pretty much screwed his bandmates by ODing on heroin, right before the band broke big. That's some bittersweet {censored}...your lead singer/friend dying and then right after, the band you guys were in together hits the big time.

• Members

That sucked but i won't define a guy as ruining hos band because of a bad gig...you have never had a bad one yourself?

Rod

It goes way beyond "a bad gig". Live Scenes, he's horrible for the entire thing. The Budokan DVD he's just plain laughable. Don't remember Once in a Livetime, but I recall him being slightly pitchy even back on the I&W live recording too, although nothing that I'd consider all that bad. Hell, he's pitchy in places on I&W itself. He spends basically the entire of Hollow Years, that is, the studio version, slightly off pitch.

Let's look at a few live clips of Pull Me Under over the years.

2009 - The whole thing's pretty much terrible, but the 2nd verse especially ("Watch the sparrow falling...")...

[video=youtube;4ZEzt656VGc]

2004 - Budokan. Again, the whole thing's quite poor but the 2nd verse is priceless.

[video=youtube;lqBCsdQVQHA]

Getting bored, so I'll just go straight back to what, 1992 or 93? - Tokyo. This is more like it! Don't care if he's maybe slightly pitchy here and there, whatever... he still sounds great, is mostly right on the ball, and speaking of balls... he actually sounds like he has a pair! :D

[video=youtube;maOsgw-PKOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maOsgw-PKOM

Even when he's "spot on" now, he's just a wailing mess. He might have gained back some of his higher range more recently, but it just comes out as an incoherent nasally whine. Even back on Awake (easily some of DT and Labrie's best work)... there's a whole section of Innocence Faded for example (starting about 2:10) where I've never been able to understand a single word he sings, and this is back in what, '94 or something (?) when his voice was still good. :freak:

Mind you, I think DT being ruined goes way beyond Labrie's singing. While I'm curious to see what they do without Portnoy, I get the feeling no new member of the band is going to be able to restrain JP and JR's merciless wankery. :idk:

And still... I'd rather listen to older DT and endure occasional pitchiness and incoherency than listen to Hasse Fröberg of The Flower Kings, who I'm not sure has ever actually hit a note, ever. :freak:

Archived