Male Falsetto VS Head Voice

MephistoE

• Members

I can access my head voice... it's my strongest register at the moment. I used to think it was falsetto, until my teacher explained to me the difference. She said falsetto would be more like "Staying Alive" which I get - but what if my head voice and falsetto voice feel the same? Does this mean that I'm wrong and what I think is falsetto is truly not? Any light shed would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Here's something I recently found. I think I should share it with you all.

http://www.ncvs.org/ncvs/tutorials/voiceprod/tutorial/voluntary.html

This seems to be pretty legit as well. And offers simple, concise and easy to understand explanations. Just took a look at the summary table at the bottom.

Falsetto only uses the CT muscle.

Whereas head voice uses both, mostly CT, and a bit of TA

Chest voice uses both as well, mostly TA, and a bit of CT

If you compare head and chest, they both muscles are engaged. And this is were "mixed voice" comes in. In which varying degrees of each muscle are engaged. You can try to sing/vocalize the head voice/falsetto voice, and then do a descending scale. If you start to feel some chest resonance coming in at the lower part of the scale then its possible that you are in fact using head voice.

• Members

Head voice is a full voice tone, achieved with proper vocal chord adduction, (narrowing of the vocal cords). Falsetto is more of a timbre, breathy and your cords for the most part are open. If youre in true headvoice, you should be able to sustain a note a substantial amount longer than if it were falsetto. There have been a gazillion threads on this with some helpful info. "Search" is a good function....

• Members

Here's something I recently found. I think I should share it with you all.

This seems to be pretty legit as well. And offers simple, concise and easy to understand explanations. Just took a look at the summary table at the bottom.

Falsetto only uses the
CT muscle

Whereas head voice uses both,
mostly CT
, and
a bit of TA

Chest voice uses both as well,
mostly TA
, and
a bit of CT

If you compare head and chest, they both muscles are engaged. And this is were "mixed voice" comes in. In which varying degrees of each muscle are engaged. You can try to sing/vocalize the head voice/falsetto voice, and then do a descending scale. If you start to feel some chest resonance coming in at the lower part of the scale then its possible that you are in fact using head voice.

Interesting... I definitely feel the chest resonance. So if it was falsetto I would feel nothing... Thanks!!!! I'll be hunting tonight for my falsetto!

• Members

This may not help one bit, as all I know about singing is from my own personal experiences of how stuff sounds and feels, but when I go from head voice to falsetto (which I know is not quite the same "falsetto" as for a guy, but meh), it feels as if something very lightly clicks over in the voice (and you can't hear the click of course) and I take my foot off the gas so to speak...previously in head voice I was singing with a certain strength feeling in the throat/voice and then when I sing a falsetto note, it lifts...the gas pedal goes off, the strength feeling in the throat vanishes and it's all very light and airy.

• Members

Is it possible I may have just a really well (somehow) developed falsetto that it passes as head voice? What I've been trying is to sing the highest lightest note I can but then I can also sing that same exact note so it sounds similar tone quality to the lower notes that I know are head voice.

With my highest notes doing a descending five tone scale I feel lots of chest vibration.

@Grace - Does any part in particular buzz for you when you sing like that? If so where? Is your chest resonating at all?

• Members

I must have my chords on backwards, my falsetto isn't usually breathy. I can get it breathy but it takes a more conscious effort, I can also sing higher without the breathiness.

And this exemplifies the true crappiness of my current head voice, I can hold a note in falsetto much longer than in head voice. Atleast I don't feel the resonance inside my body in falsetto, I can, however, feel it if I put my hand on chest for the lowest notes and on the base of my skull for the higher ones.

Am I backwards?

• Members

No, with falsetto there IS no buzz. Or not for me anyway...it's as if I'm holding back a LOT and not letting out much of the voice - in a measured, controlled and very light way.

Maybe you're very good at moving between the two (head and falsetto) and so aren't noticing much difference...cause for me sometimes I don't really know if I'm in falsetto or just much softer and held back head voice.

Vardy, that's interesting that you can hold a note longer in falsetto. I am kinda weird in that regard. I can hold a note a long time in falsetto (which now I'm thinking may actually be soft head voice after all), but it feels restrained and sort of uncomfortable after a while. Whereas in total head voice, I can hold a note for AGES. And it feels easy right up until the very end when I pass out. lol j/k

If you're able to hold a falsetto note longer than a head voice note...well, this hints to me that you're either IN head voice when you're trying to do falsetto OR you are in falsetto and that's good BUT you may not be singing in head voice properly. You may be forcing out too much air. Cause for me, in head voice, I sing a note and it just goes on forever...

• Members

Yeah, join me in my backward ways.lol. I do know for a fact that when I'm in head voice I'm letting out way too much air, more than when I'm in chest so my registers are kinda skrewed up. I wish I was in head when I think I'm in falsetto, I'd have more range then and a really clean sound.

• Members

I thought I read somewhere that for guys, falsetto and head are VERY different things, but for girls not so much and we don't even HAVE a falsetto?? I beg to differ but meh.

Anyway, if you can't hold a note in head voice for longer than you can hold one in falsetto, you're definitely letting all that air escape. When I consciously want to hold a LOOONG note in any voice, I hardly let any air out. Have you ever tried holding a note whilst sitting in front of a burning candle? Try not to let that flame waver even a little as you sing that note. I find that only RIGHT at the end of the note, when I'm close to dying from lack of air, do I let the air out more noticeably.

• Members

I actually had a disagreement with that guy because he claimed that falsetto could not go below a certain note. I must be inhuman. At the time I could go to a G2 but that's come up. To a D3 without warm-up.

I'll definitely try that candle thing next time there's a power outage, won't be a long wait.

• Members

LOL oh no, you get power issues a lot there? We had a few years of annoying black-outs every few weeks here, but it's been good lately. Thank god too, cause it's SOOO hot here right now if we had no fans we'd melt!

Yeah, the candle thing teaches you firstly how much air you're losing when singing and holding notes, and also it trains you to recognise how it physically feels to NOT let any / much air out. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't, lol) to know how LITTLE air you need to hold a really long / steady note in head voice...it's in fact BEST to not let out hardly any air.

• Members

Also, and this is something weird that may not be any help at all, but you what happens when you hum a note? Obviously you won't be able to hold a hummed note as long as a sung note (I think), but when you hum, do you lose air through your nose if you hold the note for as long as you can?

If you hum with mouth closed and then open it and keep humming (by keeping the back of your throat closed off), does anything happen? Like air loss somehow?

If you hum with mouth open (but throat closed) and then switch to AHHH (so opening your throat to sing and not hum) and then go back to humming again (still with mouth open), what happens then? Do you lose a lot of air when you switch to singing the AHHH note? You should not lose air here, and instead there should be a click feeling as the throat opens...the AHHH sound may sound like GAAAH. Try doing this with a candle too maybe...

• Members

Do we?!?! It's improved in the last year but 2 years ago the hydro electric dam was low and the power would go off from 6am to 6pm or the other way round every 2 or 3 days.

Another time, a storm damaged a pole and we had no power for a week. The most agonizing week of my life, school was a blessing back then. Fans barely even cut it here, we need air conditioning.

I get the whole use less air thing but I either can't use less air or if I do I can barely hear me, in a silent room.

Humming lets out a little less air but still a lot; more than chest. Same with the switch to ahh.

• Members

HMMMMM. So. Using LESS air for you = less VOLUME too. I wonder what that means...*putting analysis cap on*

For ME, when I use MORE air, my vocal volume reduces to a breathy, light and soft tone. When I use LESS air, even when singing quietly and/or low, it's louder because the air is less which means it's a more stronger tone.

This is interesting...cause to me, just for example when you did your parts in our Glee song, Sing, I thought your voice sounded really good and not breathy at all. But maybe your breath issues are only in head voice and not chest voice and maybe you were singing / talking in chest voice then.

Anyway, if when you try to use less air you go really quiet, this could be because (a) you're still using air, and (b) you don't know how to separate using less air and using the voice. In the process of using less air, you might also be using less voice too, when really it should be the opposite. HMM. *analysis cap falls to the floor*

• Members

I thought I read somewhere that for guys, falsetto and head are VERY different things, but for girls not so much and we don't even HAVE a falsetto?? I beg to differ but meh.

Head is the same for guys and gals, IMO. It's an extension of your voice, and your cords are doing the same thing in order to achieve it, same with falsetto...just another vocal "color".

• Members

Can't anyone do falsetto at any note? Even down the scale? Don't you just kind of sing it REALLY lightly and with hardly any strength in it? Or something?

Some people, like mainly guys, some of their voices don't ever seem to break properly and they forever talk in a kind of falsetto, and even when they go down and talk in lower notes, their voice is in this weird falsetto type of sound...lol

Archived