Best live foot controlled vocal processor?

beerguy156

• Members

We are in a five pice rock cover band. Our singer owns two vocal processors and we are not really happy with either one. The first is a TC helicon VoiceLive 1. It can sound great, but is a nightmare to program/control. We purchased a Digitech vocalist live 4, and are not very happy with the effects, however, it is very easy to control. A harmony function is not required, however, our singer loves the "thickening" effect. I see TC Helicon has some smaller foot controlled boxes such as the Voicetone Create XT. I also see a Boss has a unit. Any ideas?

• Members

We are in a five pice rock cover band. Our singer owns two vocal processors and we are not really happy with either one. The first is a TC helicon VoiceLive 1. It can sound great, but is a nightmare to program/control. We purchased a Digitech vocalist live 4, and are not very happy with the effects, however, it is very easy to control. A harmony function is not required, however, our singer loves the "thickening" effect. I see TC Helicon has some smaller foot controlled boxes such as the Voicetone Create XT. I also see a Boss has a unit. Any ideas?

I am using the Boss VE-20 and I like it a lot. Previous to this I have used the Digitech Vocal 300 (extensively), TC Helicon VoiceLive 1 and the VoiceTone Create. The TC stuff is well-built for sure but suffers from usability issues IMO.

Also, for the same price as the Voice Tone Create XT, the VE-20 has harmony, looping, 50 presets (vs 10 on the TC) and a much nicer display.

No contest IMO.

• Members

Thanks for the info Mikey...One question about the boss pedal, you must set the key of every song you sing if you ant to get harmonies?. Thats one of the things I like about the digitech and TC pedals, the fact that you dont have to constantly reaching for the unit...isnt that a problem on live situations?

• Members

Hey guys,

I use voicelive 2, and I could say it has an extreme depth to it, so it's good for live and for studio situations where you can tailor your sound and effects to your need.

there's now a new looping feature which I find uncomfortable and there are quite a few tweaks that are on my wish list, but as to reliability, performance and quality, I'm very pleased :)

• Members

also forgot to mention.

one of the best features of voice live 2, is that it could send an receive a signal directly from your DAW.

Now when I record to cubase through my Voicelive 2 with or without FX I still get a great Pre Amp with a high quality signal (instead of going through my Line 6 UX2 Aghhhh....)

hope this helps

• Members

Thanks for the info Mikey...One question about the boss pedal, you must set the key of every song you sing if you ant to get harmonies?. Thats one of the things I like about the digitech and TC pedals, the fact that you dont have to constantly reaching for the unit...isnt that a problem on live situations?

Well I have not used the harmony extensively. But for the most part I program a lot of patches that are specific to certain songs and the harmony key is stored with the patch so it is a non-issue.

• Members

Hey guys,

I use voicelive 2, and I could say it has an extreme depth to it, so it's good for live and for studio situations where you can tailor your sound and effects to your need.

there's now a new looping feature which I find uncomfortable and there are quite a few tweaks that are on my wish list, but as to reliability, performance and quality, I'm very pleased
:)

Well there is not doubt the VL2 is a nice unit and if you have to have "the best of the best" then the Voice Live 2 is probably the one you should be looking at - hell I wish I could afford one. But it's hard for me to recommend it over the VE-20 being as it streets for over 3 times the price.

• Members

also forgot to mention.

one of the best features of voice live 2, is that it could send an receive a signal directly from your DAW.

Now when I record to cubase through my Voicelive 2 with or without FX I still get a great Pre Amp with a high quality signal (instead of going through my Line 6 UX2 Aghhhh....)

hope this helps

$750 is an expensive pre-amp ;-)

• Members

$750 is an expensive pre-amp ;-)

Ha Ha. yeah, in my latest studio sessions I did almost all of the harmonies using the presets and did use the autotune function (don't kill me) which sound great.

what I love the most about the voicelive 2 in that context is that in addition to all the ins and outs (Jack/Xlr/Spdif) you could send a wet and dry signal so if something goes wrong, you still have a dry vocal with no effects (which you could send through VL2 again if you wanted to).

I think I bout mine for around 400GBP, it is quite a fee but I didnt want to risk it and get something that wasn't to my liking.

I would love to give the Korg a try some day, I've been eyeing the loop pedal for ages... :)

could you maybe elaborate on the loop functions in your pedal?

• Members

I would love to give the Korg a try some day, I've been eyeing the loop pedal for ages...
:)

could you maybe elaborate on the loop functions in your pedal?

It's actually a Boss pedal and I don't use the looper but it basically allows you to record a loop (up to 38s I think) and then overdub it a bunch of times.

• Members

I received the VE-20 today. First impressions: Nice reverbs and delays. The harmonies are pretty good. I'm not quite sure I like the pitch correction. Either I'm just way off pitch when I sing or the correction, even on the soft setting, is very intense. I need to play with it for a while. I have the voicelive 2 and I can set the pitch correction to about 20% and it keeps me tight but you can't hear it working. The Boss adds a bit of artifacts with its pitch correction. The dynamic function is also very intense. I don't like the way it makes my voice sound artificial. Again, I only have an hour into it. I need to tweak the settings a bit. I just like a little subtle efx. When I practice my scales and songs I use no efx or correction so I can hear my mistakes against my guitar (which I keep in tune). More to follow...

• Members

Looking forward to it, debating whether or not to pick up a VE-20 or spend my gift card on a crapload of cables and stands instead...

A question... can you program a patch that does something like start with a small amount of reverb, and at the press of a foot pedal, activate delay and change the reverb type/amount? Up to how many effects can you do that with (with the single press of a pedal)?

• Members

Looking forward to it, debating whether or not to pick up a VE-20 or spend my gift card on a crapload of cables and stands instead...

A question... can you program a patch that does something like start with a small amount of reverb, and at the press of a foot pedal, activate delay and change the reverb type/amount? Up to how many effects can you do that with (with the single press of a pedal)?

It's been a bit since I have delved into the programming but I will be looking at my pedal in the next few days... for sure you can have the right footswitch toggle multiple things on or off. What I am not sure of is if you can use it to change the value of an already-enabled effect.

My old Vocal 300 did that quite nicely though.

• Members

I received the VE-20 today. First impressions: Nice reverbs and delays. The harmonies are pretty good. I'm not quite sure I like the pitch correction. Either I'm just way off pitch when I sing or the correction, even on the soft setting, is very intense. I need to play with it for a while. I have the voicelive 2 and I can set the pitch correction to about 20% and it keeps me tight but you can't hear it working. The Boss adds a bit of artifacts with its pitch correction. The dynamic function is also very intense. I don't like the way it makes my voice sound artificial. Again, I only have an hour into it. I need to tweak the settings a bit. I just like a little subtle efx. When I practice my scales and songs I use no efx or correction so I can hear my mistakes against my guitar (which I keep in tune). More to follow...

I will agree the pitch correction is more useful as an effect than as actual pitch correction. But I don't use it.

I quite like the Dynamic function. I am not sure but I think this is the "expansion" effect by another name. The opposite of compression.

• Members

I use the Digitech Vocalist Live3, had the 2 before and the 3 is much better in construction and the effects. It has also added gender to the harmonies that work somewhat OK as long as you don't overuse it, or don't put the harmonies to up front in the mix. Never used the pitch correction so can't speak for it there.

The good thing about the box is the simplicity of use, you have simple two band EQ, compression (do not mess with this when you are live! sound guy will kill you!), reverb and delay, all right there in your hands (feet) and the harmonies are decent, I use very little of the harmonies other than a unison to act as a doubler in some songs, works very well!

I would consider the Boss pedal because it has a looper and that is a great thing when doing live music if used correctly! I am willing to buy one just to try that!

One more thing, I use the Digitech pedal without pluggin in to an instrument and the harmonies work very well as long as you are in tune! The pitch correction needs a guitar to be pluged in so it can take the note from the instrument to determine what key to correct your voice to, since I don't use it, makes no difference to me.

Rod

• Members

I wanted something with a small footprint that will fit on my pedal board. So far the voicelive is superior over the boss in sound quality, but the cost difference is huge. Right now, the voicelive does everything better, except for looping.

Archived