Best live foot controlled vocal processor?

beerguy156

• Members

So I picked up the Ve-20 yesterday. It's disappointing... I haven't spend loads of time with it but I thought I would like it way more. The harmonies just aren't working out for me. They weren't a selling point for me since I know I won't use them that much, but I thought they would be a good thing to have. Turns out I try singing some songs with very simple harmonies and it can't even do that. I can't explain it, it just doesn't work in some spots. Am I doing something wrong? I select the key, I choose the harmony type, and sing... it doesn't produce correct harmonies.

Tried this song that I thought the Ve-20 could do no problem. Couldn't do it:

The reverbs and delays I like. The Tone/SFX section I like. Don't like the pitch correction. Even the supposed "autotune" T-Pain effect was disappointing. Don't really like the interface, kind of tedious editing. Haven't tried phrase loop.

Do you guys think something like the Digitch Vocal 300 would be better for me? If I can't use harmonies then I think I'm going to go more that route. I play in an indie band and want some effects like extreme delays that I can really play around with mid-song, or something like fading in huge reverbs with the expression pedal... I don't think the Ve-20 is for me. Can anyone comment on the Vocal 300?

Thanks!

• Members

i see that tc does make these new single effect pedals [video=youtube;0pO-bqxTyXY]

so if you needed just a single or couple of effects like reverb and doubling, you could get two pedals. no presets so its just off and on switching at whatever setting is currently set on the pedal.

their create xt pedal you mentioned on other hand is much more extensive with presets and various effects including reverbs, delays, doubling, etc

• Members

So I picked up the Ve-20 yesterday. It's disappointing... I haven't spend loads of time with it but I thought I would like it way more. The harmonies just aren't working out for me. They weren't a selling point for me since I know I won't use them that much, but I thought they would be a good thing to have. Turns out I try singing some songs with very simple harmonies and it can't even do that. I can't explain it, it just doesn't work in some spots. Am I doing something wrong? I select the key, I choose the harmony type, and sing... it doesn't produce correct harmonies.

Tried this song that I thought the Ve-20 could do no problem. Couldn't do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxMYqsvgX8c

The reverbs and delays I like. The Tone/SFX section I like. Don't like the pitch correction. Even the supposed "autotune" T-Pain effect was disappointing. Don't really like the interface, kind of tedious editing. Haven't tried phrase loop.

Do you guys think something like the Digitch Vocal 300 would be better for me? If I can't use harmonies then I think I'm going to go more that route. I play in an indie band and want some effects like extreme delays that I can really play around with mid-song, or something like fading in huge reverbs with the expression pedal... I don't think the Ve-20 is for me. Can anyone comment on the Vocal 300?

Thanks!

I've written a pretty comprehensive review of the Vocal 300 in the Gear user reviews section of Harmony-Central.(http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/3566)

I have used this extensively - over 7 years.

Regarding the VE-20 I think it was identified above that the pitch correction is more useful as an autotune effect as opposed to real pitch correction. And I have no idea why you are having trouble producing harmonies... it certainly works as advertised AFAIK. How are you determining that it does not product the correct harmonies?

I played with the VE-20 over the weekend and can confirm that you can toggle the different effects blocks on and off with the right pedal but it cannot change an effect value.

If harmony and pitch correction are not important to you, the Vocal 300 may be a good choice. The expression pedal can be used to modify the values of up to 3 effect parameters simultaneously, allowing you to do some cool things: including changing delay values or fading in that reverb you described.

Do you have any specific questions about the vocal 300?

• Members

How are you determining that it does not product the correct harmonies?

Thanks for the reply, Mike. It just isn't sounding right. I haven't tried a single song where the harmonies produced sounded right to my ear. I can sing harmonies very well and pick up on harmonies easily in existing songs... the Ve-20 just doesn't sound right. That's really as far as I'm able to describe it. Maybe I should post a demo?

What settings would you suggest for this song?:

Maybe I just don't know how to use the thing, but I literally scrolled through every single possible combination of settings (through every single key and every single type) and could not get the harmony to sound right at all. It was only correct in some parts of the song and off in others.

Appreciate the help!

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I received the VE-20 today. First impressions: Nice reverbs and delays. The harmonies are pretty good. I'm not quite sure I like the pitch correction. Either I'm just way off pitch when I sing or the correction, even on the soft setting, is very intense. I need to play with it for a while. I have the voicelive 2 and I can set the pitch correction to about 20% and it keeps me tight but you can't hear it working. The Boss adds a bit of artifacts with its pitch correction. The dynamic function is also very intense. I don't like the way it makes my voice sound artificial. Again, I only have an hour into it. I need to tweak the settings a bit. I just like a little subtle efx. When I practice my scales and songs I use no efx or correction so I can hear my mistakes against my guitar (which I keep in tune). More to follow...

So did you play with it more? I too am hearing things I don't like in the Dynamics - and I'm unsure how to set it. I'm also unsure about the pitch correction - I can here a certain 'fakeness' with it - though I like the idea of having pitch correction.

Archived