Are higher notes a requirement in the modern Rock/Pop industry?

dreamsound2

• Members

I almost always agree with you 100% but for a cover band singer, being able to hit certain notes in some songs make the audience take notice, just my experience.

I think the most important things for a cover band singer are range and tone so one is able to cover a lot of material. For original work, tone and uniqueness of delivery. JMO

Rod

True that, if you do covers, you NEED the range to cover a lot of different stuff. I'm always working to expand my range, I won't be happy until I can hit a C6!

• Members

Now that I am doing some work with some bigger party bands with backing vocals, it's amazing to me how limited some singers are in terms of range, with multiple singers, everyone is comfortable kinda were they are and make no effort to expand their range, just let the other person sing the song, for example, one of the bands does songs by Guns & Roses and Journey with a female vocalist (not anymore).

I think that singing mostly solo in my bands has forced me since young to work on my range and make sure that I could hit the notes, and being almost 40 means that i grew up with the high singers from British metal to Glam Rock and the likes so that is kind of what I went for as sound. I still think it's pretty cool when we play Four Non Blonds "What's Up?" with two guys on stage and people do a double take.

For original artists less so since you should write songs to your voice but having range can make your songs more interesting.

Rod

• Members

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I just can't really think of a band that I listen to regularly where the singer ever reaches above an A4. I don't like when men (or women) sing high notes. It's not for me.

If it's a man singing, I want the singer to sound like a guy. I don't want to ask myself, "Is that a guy or girl singing?" like I do with Mars Volta and some Myles Kennedy.

• Members

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I just can't really think of a band that I listen to regularly where the singer ever reaches above an A4. I don't like when men (or women) sing high notes. It's not for me.

If it's a man singing, I want the singer to sound like a guy. I don't want to ask myself, "Is that a guy or girl singing?" like I do with Mars Volta and some Myles Kennedy.

If you could hit a C5 in head or mixed voice, even if you never used it to perform, you'd have no problem with that A4 you're struggling with in the other thread. :idea:

• Members
If you could hit a C5 in head or mixed voice, even if you never used it to perform, you'd have no problem with that A4 you're struggling with in the other thread.
:idea:

Well that's the thing. I don't listen to any music where the singer ever sings in either head or mix. The only exception is probably GNR, but I never liked Axl's voice, only his melodies and lyrics anyway.

I practice my head voice occasionally, but I never write anything that uses it, and I really can't stand doing really any covers, especially ones that a Top 40 cover band would play, so it is what it is.

• Members

Well that's the thing. I don't listen to any music where the singer ever sings in either head or mix. The only exception is probably GNR, but I never liked Axl's voice, only his melodies and lyrics anyway.

I practice my head voice occasionally, but I never write anything that uses it, and I really can't stand doing really any covers, especially ones that a Top 40 cover band would play, so it is what it is.

Well, good luck. :thu:

Archived