have i made progress?

Mercenary

• Members

i made a thread about a month and a half ago which containted my vocals:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9768240&q=hi&newref=1

Im new to singing and even i noticed i was off key. so i decided to practice for a while and come back with another recording. Do you think i have improved any?

New Recording: *bad moon rising cover*

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9975167&q=hi&newref=1

be as harsh as you want that i ruined this amazing song haha

• Members

yeah you made progress.

you are still flat though. but john fogerty gets freaking high up there, lots of his stuff at A4, and when you're at this high notes it's really easy to go flat.

but sounds 100% better than previously.

you should show beach1 how to practice for improvement.

• Members

Hey that's not bad. Possibly you are a little flat sometimes. Maybe down tune the guitar a half note and you can make those high notes. I think that you have a good voice for this song. Phrasing is different from the CCR version but it is OK to add your interpretation to the song.

• Members

Something I noticed is that your 'ee'-vowels are muffled and strained - practise going up and down your register on ee-vowels. They shouldn't muffle up, they should ring LOUD ;-)

(Note that this does absolutely not mean that you should push more)

• Members

yeah you made progress.

you are still flat though. but john fogerty gets freaking high up there, lots of his stuff at A4, and when you're at this high notes it's really easy to go flat.

but sounds 100% better than previously.

you should show beach1 how to practice for improvement.

You should learn that you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

• Members

The song is too high for your current vocal range. Drop the key a couple of steps and try it again. There's no law that says you have to sing in the original key. Focus on pitch and phrasing. Once you have it down pat you can try raising the key a semi tone if you want to try a higher key.

Try singing it WITHOUT a guitar and find a comfortable key wherein you can hit EVERY note without strain. Record your VOICE ONLY and once you've found the key that is best, use the vocal track to determine the key on the guitar and transpose accordingly.

JC Fogarty songs are really high so most people transpose them or avoid them completely.

• Members

Yes, progress made. I agree that the CCR vocal is a little rough, but with some practice you should be able to handle that key. Idol1957's advice is good, however, bring the song down just a bit, where you can nail it. You can always raise it again as you feel more comfortable.

• Members

To learn to sing exact pitch I sing along with a keyboard and listen for beats. To learn to match the vocals I sing along with the recording using a microphone and guitar amplifier so I can hear myself. To lower the pitch of the original song I use Audacity - change pitch effect. I have to work at it a lot.

Archived