Clear and Deep voice? How?

greenoz

• Members

Greenoz, but you know you won't achieve that in one week?

What to do to find your voice deep and strong is everyday training. Cause if you once make some exercises, once forget, once resign, once have them too long your voice will rather be tired than strong or deep.

So, returning to the merits, I can write down what I do consider the most important in achieving goals you mentioned.

1. Make daily warm-ups, even if you don't sing that day. Start with relaxing aaall muscles (especially face)

2. Focus rather on cleanliness of your voice, not on its range, cause range will come with systematic exercises. I use youtube to find some nice tutorials how to do it.

3. In the beginning try not to pick songs that demand grand voice. Respect your vocal folds! ;)

4. Believe in yourself so than be yourself and do not copy!

I think that following these hints could give you grand results in few months :)

cheers

• Members

Do you mean low like the bottom of YOUR range, or low as in generally low? Huge difference between the two. People that have naturally low speaking voices often sound smooth while talking / singing in what's their comfortable range and it sounds normal, but when you compare it to something, you realize just how low it is. The sound greatly depends on where in someone's range the sound is, and what a lot of people consider low is when they hear the fry-ish bass sound while that is actually the very bottom of ones range. As two of them said before, you need to strengthen your whole voice to strengthen the bottom of your range, but if your voice doesn't sound clear it's either your timbre which you cannot change, or your technique on which you can always build. Please explain in more detail what you mean by " deep and clear ".

• Members

Shadowdusk, I think the author meant singing strongly and without any problems as he wrote 'deep voice'.
:)

but anyways, wait for his response

He never specified where deep is for him, so I assume he meant the bottom of his range? I always feel pushing my voice all the way down does more harm than good. As you suggested, it comes with practice - if it's comfortable, the sound will get smoother and stronger with practice. On the other hand, if it's not - better not go there yet

• Members

I love to sing loooow. I sing in Gospel Choir now and when we had general voice assessment they say I'm an alto, but anyway I wanted to join tenors - everybody says my voice is deep and low as for a girl. So I found Toni Braxton's songs veeeery suitable for my voice. Maybe one day I'll upload something. At this moment I'm still just a poor foreigner in Ireland :)

and what bout you? which voice are you?

• Members

The other thing to remember is to exercise regularly. Brisk walking, stationary bike, mountain bike,etc. Its important to build up your heart and lungs and develop better wind. A steady exercise program will help you clear the cobwebs out. I have found as I've gotten older that I HAVE to exercise. When I was younger I was a lot more active and had good wind. Now........

Its important to practice voice, but don't overlook the rest of your body.

Mike T.

• Members

Wow, your voice must be really all the way up there eh? Lower end of a tenor is still pretty high... depends from day to day, my voice is lower if I sing lower stuff that day, and a bit higher if I tend to go higher but it's usually somewhere a bit below.. hmm, let's say Johnny Cash.

• Members

Shadowdusk, I think the author meant singing strongly and without any problems as he wrote 'deep voice'.
:)

but anyways, wait for his response

Yeah i want to sing strongly and to deliver my singing clearly amazing tones on it. So frustrating, i'm not sure if i can do it :(

• Members

He never specified where deep is for him, so I assume he meant the bottom of his range? I always feel pushing my voice all the way down does more harm than good. As you suggested, it comes with practice - if it's comfortable, the sound will get smoother and stronger with practice. On the other hand, if it's not - better not go there yet

Deep voice like Chris Martin, Brandon Flower etc .

• Members

Although everybody (ok, ok, almost everybody :p ) thinks woman is supposed to sing higher than man that's not a rule. My friend who was a pianist and my ''backgrounder'' at once had really nice, strong and deep voice, but as far as range was concerned his lowest (clear) note was exactly the same as mine.

anyway Greenoz, it's not like cheap takeaway with fishnchips where you get your food within 2 mins after order. Moreover - where you should be totally aware that everybody can afford it, food quality is poor and customer service leaves a loads to be desired. That's only good when you are very impatient from being hungry or having no time.

Singing is more like a luxurious restaurant where you must be kind, polite and above all - patient. And you know you have to pay more, wait more. But instead they give you great customer service, first quality food which is a masterpiece not only for your stomach but also for your eyes. Not everybody is able to come there and eat in.

When you have some voice abilities you shouldn't waste them like in takeaway but try your best to find yourself on the top through development, improvement, patience and above all - time.

• Members

Uh, I don't think either of those singers has a deep voice, but I think I see what you mean. As I said, it's just placement in your vocal range - their low isn't necessarily your low, so if you're singing other people's songs, transposing goes a long way for achieving the sound you might want. And about the clearness, like you said before

^LMAO, in short, every lesson on singing need to be learn for it ..

Clearness takes control, breath support and strength ( of course, along with pitch accuracy ), so there's no short path to obtaining such a voice.

• Members

Uh, I don't think either of those singers has a deep voice, but I think I see what you mean. As I said, it's just placement in your vocal range - their low isn't necessarily your low, so if you're singing other people's songs, transposing goes a long way for achieving the sound you might want. And about the clearness, like you said before Clearness takes control, breath support and strength ( of course, along with pitch accuracy ), so there's no short path to obtaining such a voice.

who's you examples of singers with deep voice?

I don't know myself, there are times when I want to sing like Brian Macknight the next day i want like Chris Martin then Bruno Mars .. Lol.. I don't understand what I want as a I singer, maybe a singer that could sing every genre, I think it's impossible tho ..

I think i'll take a second course which is Music, i can't focus on studying too much on music because my course isn't related to music, lol.

• Members

Although everybody (ok, ok, almost everybody
:p
) thinks woman is supposed to sing higher than man that's not a rule. My friend who was a pianist and my ''backgrounder'' at once had really nice, strong and deep voice, but as far as range was concerned his lowest (clear) note was exactly the same as mine.

anyway Greenoz, it's not like cheap takeaway with fishnchips where you get your food within 2 mins after order. Moreover - where you should be totally aware that everybody can afford it, food quality is poor and customer service leaves a loads to be desired. That's only good when you are very impatient from being hungry or having no time.

Singing is more like a luxurious restaurant where you must be kind, polite and above all - patient. And you know you have to pay more, wait more. But instead they give you great customer service, first quality food which is a masterpiece not only for your stomach but also for your eyes. Not everybody is able to come there and eat in.

When you have some voice abilities you shouldn't waste them like in takeaway but try your best to find yourself on the top through development, improvement, patience and above all - time.

Thanks..

Maybe the problem is that I am not doing my best to achieve my goal. I wish that i have enough money to afford formal voice lesson :).

• Members

I'm not sure if singing with generally higher or singing with generally deeper voice is something you can always apply to your case or learn. For example I'm quite opposite: I always sound somehow deep even when hitting highest notes I can, and I can't get myself to sound different (I love deep sound to so that's perfect for me:)... just like Brandon Flower, or for example Ian Astbury from Cult, he always sounds so deep. I can never sound high pitched like Michael Jackson.

I think it basically depends of your natural speaking voice very often, baritones have natural deep voice, basses even deeper, tenors have naturally higher, and that's it...

You can't expect Michael Jackson could sing with deeper sounding voice because he was very natural tenor, he was speaking so high pitched and so heady, and opposite, you can't expect Brandon Flower to sing with high pitched voice like Michael Jackson did, he is natural baritone...

Now, one thing you can try (and I'm not sure if it can work for everyone as I said above) is practicing resonance, but you have to be careful with it - most vocalists that sing deeper use chest/middle resonance more often then those who sing high who use more head resonance. Now taking your chest resonance to high might cause vocal damage if you don't do it EXACTLY right (proper support, breathing so that you don't overflow your voice, placement so that you don't sing from your throat - all of those). Some will even say that you don't want to do that, but if you use correct technique it can be 100% safe. You have to find this thin line between chest and head, that's middle voice, and sing there and in the chest voice for more deeper sound (chest voice has it's limites, so as I said you want to be careful). I sing like this often, and I think most rock singers do, I almost never go all the way to head voice resonance (at least I don't feel I do) I mostly use middle (mixed) voice for higher notes, and that way I always sing somehow deep. I must admit I pretty much suck with singing in head voice, and that was never my cup of tea, since I mostly sing rock which demands what you call deeper singing.

I might be wrong with some of that above, but it all works for me.

Hope this helps somehow... ;)

Nikola

Archived