Barracuda - Another Heart Effort

grace_slick

• Members

Blah blah...

Anyway, yeah Beach, I have wondered if I have an actual issue with my voice, and I've concluded (based on just my own musings, lol)

1. I have NEVER "learnt" to yell properly, or sing in that way properly, and so have no "muscle memory" for it, and it's not a natural thing for me to do, so...I have issues with it now

2. I have some kind of mental block with being REALLY loud. I'm fine with being loud, but it seems only physical things let me REALLY let go and be 100% effortlessly loud. Like if I'm tickled basically. I can deafen people with how loud I am and it takes absolutely NO effort at all!

When I sing, I NEVER feel my chest open up or engage...in fact, it always feels totally disconnected from my throat / voice when I sing. I am obviously BREATHING fine when I'm singing (I think, but I don't know), but beyond the act of breathing, the singing / voice part feels NOTHING to do with the chest.

Hmm, when I said that I feel my chest open up, maybe I didn't say it right. Like, when I sing in a louder, thicker tone, the voice seems to come from deeper within, like it feels like my body is engaged more than if I sing lighter. I think when I sing in a thicker, louder tone, it feels like something opens up more, maybe my throat relaxes more? Gah, I'm not quite sure what I'm saying anymore, so I'll just stop now before I mess you up somehow. :/

• Members

Heya Johnny

Yes, the fast vibrato. I found this song awkward in all ways actually...my usual vibrato didn't seem to FIT anywhere...it felt easier not doing ANY vibrato, and then on the end of longer notes I could put it on but it felt unnatural for some reason, and then I had to really try and watch myself so I didn't end certain notes (that felt hard / awkward to sing) with that faster vibrato I do. I hate that I do that!!

Thanks for your words of support too by the way!
:thu:

Anytime and remember...your vocal quality (imo) easily

surpasses 90% of what I listen to past and present.:thu:

I think all untrained vocalists do this, and its natural

for the voice to do that when proper support is out the window!

I still don't know what proper support means or how to do it

but I'd imagine this is what a vocal coach would say.

It appears (to me) that without proper support notes

will be that much harder to hit....Remember when I used

to use the word "projection?" Well when I see, hear or feel myself

do this I project a correction and it happens.

Just don't get too down or fret on the minor details like

head VS. chest. I know you want to do it and in time

I feel you will. Don't let this get in the way, though.:)

Archived