Is there a way I can learn to do tongue trills?

Visconti

• Members

Try as I might, I can't semm to do them. I can do lip rolls all day long, but not a very convincing tongue trill.

I have searched all over the internet for instructions and I watched videos, but they're not helping me.

I do know its an ethnicity thing, but there has got to be a way to do them.

Help :wave:

• Moderators

Tongue trill aka Rolled 'R' is quite common in many European languages (Spanish, Italian, Russian, etc) but I don't think your ethnicity will affect if you can do them or not. I think it mainly comes down to practice and being use to it. I have an Asian background, although not many Asian people can do the rolled 'R', I CAN. I'm actually the only person in my family who can do them. So I highly doubt your ethnicity determines whether or not you do them. Its all a matter of practicing it. I practiced it for about a month and then I was able to do them. Some people may learn it quickly or take longer, it all depends on your current vocal habits.

In order to do it you need relax your tongue. I learned it by repeatedly saying/singing the 'D' consonant (or very close to the 'T' tongue consonant). I kept the tongue's resting position with the tip of the tongue touching just behind gum line of the top teeth. The tongue's tip flaps downward with the onset of the 'D' consonant then returns to the resting position. The quicker you can do this, the greater the chance you can do the rolled 'R'. This should all be done while keeping the jaw relatively still.

Once your tongue is quick enough, you can make the tongue trill by aiming a strong and focused air current between your top teeth gum line and tongue. Do this while trying to maintain the resting position that I mentioned.

This is how I learned it. :lol:

• Members

I've been trying to learn this for more than 6 months but still can't get it right, and I'm Swedish (supposed to be able to do it).

I.e. you have nothing to lose in giving it your best shot.

PS. My vocal coach told me to say teh deh veh teh deh veh teh deh veh as fast as I can for practise. Also you could try and speak normal sentences where you replace all the r's with d's. DS.

• Members

I want to thank everyone for your instructions on how to do a tongue trill.

I'm working on it, but I still can't do it. I can get the side of my tongue to trill, but that's about it.

LoOK Visconti, don't make this more difficult than it has to be !

:mad:

Just kidding , you're one of my buddies...:thu::wave:

Some people have tongues that roll up like a straw and some don't, so some tongues I'm sure will have trouble forming whatever it takes to do a tongue trill.

The best I can think of as an illustration of a tongue trill, is a 'tea cup' with your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

Aside from that, I sure wouldn't worry about it, lip trills are hard to beat, they control air flow just as well as tongue trills IMO, it's actually mostly a

good way to keep from pushing too much air in a warm up situation over the cords, helps protect them from over air.

+ Many people I talk to think air control is being able to push lots of air across the cords, that is so very alarmingly wrong that if boggles the mind.

Your lip trills are going to serve you well.

0, 0

• Members

I had that problem until I had to sing Italian opera... For the roll r only the tip thrills. Place the tip of your tongue against the roof of your palate slightly behind your upper teeth. Send air through and let your tongue vibrate. You must be relax to achieve this!

Archived