SCORE!! Trace Elliot V8 coming in!

Phyrexian

• Members

Oh my oh my oh my oh my... I just scored a Trace Elliot V8 on ebay (Germany). I'm so happy you can't believe it!

I know this amp is very very rare; it's the first one I ever seen for sale and can't believe I just got it.

This one is gonna replace my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro (which I love).

I'll post pictures as soon as I pick this baby up.

I'm gonna use this amp with two Peavey 410TVX cabinets (8 ohm each). Anybody else using this amp with two 8 ohm cabs? The connection is kinda awkward since one output is jack and the other is XLR.

v8_collage_smaller.jpg

• Members

You can make your own cables or chain the speakers. whichever you want to do. I have used my V6 with 2 8 ohm cabs (Eden) and it worked great.

Congrats on a killer amp. the V series Trace amps are simply fantastic. I have 2 of them.

• Members

Using XLR jacks for speakers was a fairly short-lived fad. I remember Carvin touting XLR connections for speakers back in the early/mid 90's. My church back home bought a small Carvin powered mixer set up back then and it had XLR speaker jacks on both the PA cabs and the mixer head.

While XLR plugs provide a much better connection that 1/4" jacks do, they died out I'm assuming because of the onset of Speakon jacks (which are even better) and because it would be easy to confuse if you're setting up your sound system in a hurry. Imagine plugging in a hot speaker cable into a mic pre on a mixing board. :eek:

That said, I actually thought XLR's for speaker outs were cool.

Anyways, congrats on the head. Those things are supposed to be awesome.

• Members

Originally posted by mlwarriner

or just chain the 2 cabs...

trace--->cab1--->cab2

Thanks but not possible I'm afraid. My Peavey cabs have only one input each (no output). I'll try the parallel setup however with one xlr and one jack output.

Pictures coming soon.

• Members

congrats!

The V8 is the bomb, but there is only one down side that I have found.

I am running mine through an 8ohm cab at half power and I am scared of the power.

I may need to get one of those glass boxes like in myth busters to go full power into 2 cabs.

• Members

Alrighty. I had my first band session with this amp, yesterday evening. Man man man did this amp blow me of my sox!!

First of all. The sound is awesome. So rich in tone. Really excellent. The EQ is very very powerful. A little goes a long way on the the bass/mid/treble knobs. This amps doesn't have extended features like graphic eq's and tons of boost and cut knobs. The little knobs it has (bright/deep/midshift) are all very useful. The Bright knobs adds some nice overtones, nothing harsch. Deep smacks your balls to the walls and the midshift knob shifts the mids center position to somewhere to 2Khz. When I did this I couldn't believe my ears (and chest). Pumping out strong start/stop rhythms felt like someone was pounding my chest with a ten ton hammer. Talk about punch, my friends...

The compressor is also very very good. I don't know if it's got anything to do with the tubes but this comp. sounds good. I had a pedal compressor in the past, the 'should-be-goud' EBS MultiComp, but it didn't do much to my ears. This Trace comp however adds a lot. Good compression that is.... hehe this amp made me understand compression as well.

What I like a lot is the second, overdrive channel. It sounds very very gritty and that's the way I like it. The Ampeg I had sounds somewhat woolier. Less articulated. Of course you can make the Trace sound wooly if you like. I never really liked clean-clean tones. The SVT-3 was too, well, not punchy enough so I've always used overdrive. Yesterday night was the first time I fell in love with a clean sound. Channel I on this amp sounds so damn nice. Warm warmer warmest.

Ow yeah. This amp is loud. Really LOUD. REALLY REALLY LOUD! I had it on 2 and it was earthshakingly loud. hehehe I might check that half power switch on the back of the amp :)

Anyway. I'm sold. I want tubes and nothing else. This baby did it. Really. I had the SVT-3 Pro for two years and played and giggid it A LOT. And I liked it as well. Only, with the Ampeg I kept on changing my sound night after night, you know, in search of that holy-grail-sound that I never found in that amplifier. The V8 was instant GRAIL of the holy grails if you know what I mean. Everything set flat was already completely awesome sounding.

So far my first mini review. Next saturday is the first band rehearsal with this amp. Can't wait. Can't wait to hear it in some real songs; yesterday was a jam session.

One little problem though: I'm using two 8 ohm 4x10 cabinets. Nothing wrong with that. One 8 Ohm cabinet is working fine. Connected jack/jack. The V8, however, 's got only one jack output and one XLR. I bought this conversion thingie to put on my jack speakercable but it doesn't really work right. This cabinet is sounding 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRR' 'Broooooooooooaaaaaaaaaar' 'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'. NOISE!

Who else is using two cabinets with it's V-series tube amp and get it's working right?

Could I make a Y-cable and get it all running correctly (ohms and all, two 8 ohm cabs connected with a y cable to one 4ohm output is correct right?)

Or perhaps that XLR thingie is {censored}ed up? I don't know anything about stuff like that. Please help me out...

Bart

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by MageZ

Holy {censored}!

2 fat humbuckers -> 400W of TUBE power -> 2x4x10" cabs (and these peaveys can go deep) === eaten alive.
:D

Hehe tell me about it :)

My other bass is tuned to AEAD :]

Talk about LOOOOOOWS

Archived