Having a little trouble on the upstroke...

Rhythmalism

• Members

I can do the down-up-down-up thing on guitar, no problem, but bass is another story. Any tips for a bass player in distress? Been playing 3 years, mostly fingers, but am trying to get into faster/funkier picking.

Pick thickness? Technique?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

keep a variety of different pick shapes and gauges around. i have around 30 different pick types in my box 'o bass {censored}.

i like to sometimes anchor my hand on the bridge and pick that way. then your fingers do the moving, and not your whole hand.

• Members

Don't death-grip the pick. It actually slows you down. And try to find out if there's any wasted motion in your technique. I've got mine down to where I just barely move my wrist; there's more tension in my upper arm than in my wrist or hand.

Dunlop .88 green Tortex, BTW.

• Members

Originally posted by moody

Don't dig in.

Turn up the volume and play lightly (I know it's against all your instincts).

It will also give you an extra edge when you need a bit of extra volume and can dig in.

Good advice for playing fingerstyle OR with a pick. The advantage of having good pick hand control can not be overstated.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Use shorter strokes, and don't use so much lube.

Oh, sorry, wrong forum.
:(

:D

Yeah and cut your fingernails. The crap which remains behind the nails tend to stink badly after few days...

:D

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

ok, so 1.5 mm Dulops are too thick in your opinion. I had some of these once and found it too hard to pick, so I just switched back to fingerstyle.

It's not the picks man. I have a hard time using picks which are very thin but 1.5 should but just fine. I'm using a pick I made out of an old Zildjian cymbal. As long as you practice and get use to it, any thickness should work. Practice.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

It's not the picks man. I have a hard time using picks which are very thin but 1.5 should but just fine. I'm using a pick I made out of an old Zildjian cymbal. As long as you practice and get use to it, any thickness should work. Practice.

Yo.

yeah, this is true, but really, i think people get used to playing with different thicknesses. i used to play with the 1mms, but i just didn't like them. it was so much a playability thing so much as it was a slight tone thing. in my experience, i like the sound of thinner picks a little, but not too thin, because then they just kinda bend instead of actually plucking the string

• Members

Originally posted by ImaSmrtBaby

yeah, this is true, but really, i think people get used to playing with different thicknesses. i used to play with the 1mms, but i just didn't like them. it was so much a playability thing so much as it was a slight tone thing. in my experience, i like the sound of thinner picks a little, but not too thin, because then they just kinda bend instead of actually plucking the string

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone can use somthing so thin like you are talking about.

Yo.

• Members

I use Dunlop 2.0mm, it takes some getting used to the thickness, but they last for ages, if didnt keep dropping and losing my picks, id probably have the same ones i had last year. I can get some Paul D'Amour sound when i really hammer the string/s with those picks.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone can use somthing so thin like you are talking about.

Yo.

for me its kind of a fine line between too thin and too thick.

i couldn't use a light guitar pick, but i also don't like heavy. so medium or medium thick is the way to go :)

Archived