Rough tracks from our lastest recording session

mike fitzwell

• Members

Over the weekend my geetarist finally began getting his tracks down for our new demo cd...that we began recording in FEBRUARY. :mad: Anyways, he sent me two tracks over the weekend and I'm pretty stoked to finally hear it start to come to fruition. I figure I'd put them up here cause unlike my wife, y'all appreciate the time and energy it takes to put stuff like this together. My parts are nothing fancy, just some 12 bar walking. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: this is the first rough mix with nothing more than a little bit of compression to even everything out. Track volume levels and EQing are yet to come. Further more, the keys and vocal tracks have not been layed down yet, so it sounds a bit empty in places. Each song is about 3 MB.

Track 1

Track 2 -- yep, there are some timing issues i need to redo near the end :(

A big +1 to anyone who can name the songs (they are both covers, albeit a little obscure unless you're into blues).

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

Sounds good! Has a very 'live' vibe to it. Good solid bass work. Should sound even better when you get the masters done. Nice.

Wow man, thanks for the compliments. This is the first time we've had the equipment to record individual tracks and one of my concerns is not being able to capture the live vibe we have on stage.

• Members

Cool Man:cool: I wish I could lay down some walking Bass lines like that..:( Mine always sound like they have a case of corns and a bad limp:D And +1 it does have a "live" vibe to it.I dig it. Do you guys have a harp player??

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Nice job, really solid groove! Is that the GL that you're using? It sounds great, nice and fat.

Yep, it's the GL with DR Black Beauty strings through my Sansamp BDDI. I think the tone fits the songs pretty well. And I nailed both of them in one take too! It was a different experience recording w/o an amp through only headphones. Of course, a couple of MGDs went a long way that night in easing the process. ;)

And to answer your question Jumpy--we used to have a harp player who also sang lead, but he turned out to be a lush so we canned his ass. (He's a nice guy though and I still see him around often.) We're currently trying to get away from some of the heavier blues we played when he was around and turn more to 60s and 70s classic rock. These two songs are some of the leftovers that we're keeping around cause they're quite danceable.

Still looking for someone to ID these tunes. I'm waiting to give away an award here! :D

• Members

Track 2 is "They Call Me Guitar Hurricane." You guys play it a lot like the version on the SRV Box Set.

Track 1 I can't identify. The bassline is very reminisent of the styles of the old Kansas City Blues from the 30s and 40s, loud and low, and with major bounce. "Shake Rattle And Roll" comes to mind.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Track 2 is "They Call Me Guitar Hurricane." You guys play it a lot like the version on the SRV Box Set.

Track 1 I can't identify. The bassline is very reminisent of the styles of the old Kansas City Blues from the 30s and 40s, loud and low, and with major bounce. "Shake Rattle And Roll" comes to mind.

SBB, you're the winner of the first Mike Fitzwell's "Knows His Blues {censored}" award! Indeed it is a faithful cover of Stevie's version originally heard on his "In the Beginning" live album.

Sorry, your guess on track #1 is incorrect. Here's a hint for you: it was written by what some people consider the world's most famous wife beater.

• Members

Originally posted by mike fitzwell

SBB, you're the winner of the first
Mike Fitzwell's "Knows His Blues {censored}" award
! Indeed it is a faithful cover of Stevie's version originally heard on his "In the Beginning" live album.

Sorry, your guess on track #1 is incorrect. Here's a hint for you: it was written by what some people consider the world's most famous wife beater.

Well, that narrows it down to...Ike Turner.

Is it "Rocket 88?"

• Members

Well, that narrows it down to...Ike Turner.

Is it "Rocket 88?"

Yes sir!

Nope, although that is a cool song. Last hint: redone by what some people call a "guitar prodigy" in 1997. That's the version we based it on.

• Members

Originally posted by Perfessor

Very smooth. Nice. Your demo should bring you lots of gigs. You're right in the pocket. Good. Good. Good.

Thanks man! You know, when you play with the same drummer for 12 years you just kinda fall into the pocket without even thinking about it.

• Members

Yes sir!

Nope, although that is a cool song. Last hint: redone by what some people call a "guitar prodigy" in 1997. That's the version we based it on.

Ah, well...

1997 was a bit after KWS, but right about the time Jonny Lang's album Lie To Me came out.

So, a little googling later (sorry, I had to cheat on this one a little!)...

"Matchbox"

"As a fledging singer, he acts out the lyrics of Ike Turner's age-old shuffle "Matchbox" "

Link with that text

• Members

Ah, well...

1997 was a bit after KWS, but right about the time Jonny Lang's album Lie To Me came out.

So, a little googling later (sorry, I had to cheat on this one a little!)...

"Matchbox"

"As a fledging singer, he acts out the lyrics of Ike Turner's age-old shuffle "Matchbox" "

Well SBB you just won the showcase showdown! Thanks for playing.

no logic---actually we're starting to drift away from the heavy blues that we were playing before we fired our harp player. We're moving to more 60s and 70s classic rock and keeping the blues that is more danceable, like the tracks that I posted.

You gotta to get your band up here in the Sheboygan area so I can hear some of that Zeppelin you guys do! :)

• Members

Well SBB you just won the showcase showdown! Thanks for playing.

no logic---actually we're starting to drift away from the heavy blues that we were playing before we fired our harp player. We're moving to more 60s and 70s classic rock and keeping the blues that is more danceable, like the tracks that I posted.

You gotta to get your band up here in the Sheboygan area so I can hear some of that Zeppelin you guys do!
:)

Mike: PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of our demo. It has "What Is And What Should Never Be" and "Lemon Song" on it. I think the closest we would get to you would be West Bend.

Archived