Effects pedals? Essential or just fun...

MistahMojoRyan

• Members

I've got about $200US set aside to spend on bass gear so I thought I'd try out some effects (I'm not really interested in multi-effects units). Right now I've got an EHX Bassballs (very cool! :cool: ) and a Double Muff which sounds like ass w/ bass...great for guitar though.

So what are some good/"essential" bass pedals? I've got a DI on my amp (it's ok) but I was thinking a dedicated one like an MXR M80 or BDDI would be good since they've got eq's and od's and the signal quality would be better. Maybe a Big Muff for fuzz? Small Stone phase shifter? Wah? Mini Q-Tron? Chorus? Flange? Compressor/Sustainer?

Like I said, recommend the "essential" additions or just the most cool ones. I know $200 isn't much to play with but it's a start. ;) Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

I don't like the BDDI, but others swear by them... I'd like to try an M-80 though.

I have both, though Ive had the Sansamp one much longer(I just added the MXR to the board last night while at the studio and didnt really have any time to tweak it) Id say the DI box route is a good way to start off if you're goona buy a pedal.A compressor might also be a good one to look into.

• Members

If all you want is fuzz, save up a little more and get the ZVEX Wooly Mammoth, that's the best fuzz tone ive ever heard,i went from 60's Jimi Hendrix bass, to just plain, heavy, {censored}ed up distortion. too bad its like $350 new...:rolleyes::confused:

• Members

I don't know why I mentioned the BDDI since I tried it w/ an Ampeg BA210 or something and was dissapointed w/ both the Ampeg and Sansamp. :( A sad day after reading all the glowing reviews.

I have a hunch that the M80 would distort similar to a Boss ODB-3. In any event, even if the distortion sucks it's still got an EQ and DI.

hehe, I've got a compressor button on my Eden Nemesis combo but it's pretty useless...it hasn't given me any idea what a compressor should/will do.

• Members

i bought the M80 over the BDDI. it just sounded better to me. i would look into a compressor unless you want some different kind of sound.

can anyone explain the difference between a bassballs and a q-tron?

thx

• Members

Originally posted by rikshaw

i bought the M80 over the BDDI. it just sounded better to me. i would look into a compressor unless you want some different kind of sound.

can anyone explain the difference between a bassballs and a q-tron?

thx

from what I know, the q-tron is more of an evelope filter (auto-wah), and the bassballs is more like a mini synth effect.

• Members

Pedals: Essential for fun (not 100% true), but still.

Happy M-80 owner here. DI, stompbox, you name it. It works well after wah and other filters. Mine is last in the chain.

I have compression on board my Trace head, works well to fatten up and even out, that's all you need.

Get used to an M-80, maybe compressor and new amp before you go pedal hunting. The rest of your effects will happen over time. Mine have taken 4 years to reach stage 1 :D

• Members

i use my ODB-3 like 90% of the time, and i'm not in a metal band. if you tweak it just right, you can get a good slightly overdriven sound out of it. its kind of noisey though, so i just turn it off when the guitars aren't going.

• Members

You say that you're not interested in multifx, but you might want to consider them. The boss pedals can get some okay sounds and are way convinent (tuner+ volume pedal+ noisegate + being able to swich all the settings on the fly (a BIG plus)).

Also, they let you hear a number of different sounds, so you can find out if you like delay, or chorus, (or their really crappy wah).

Or, if you don't want a pedal, there are multis like the ME50 that come in little boxes and are cheaper...

• Members

Originally posted by ImaSmrtBaby

its kind of noisey though, so i just turn it off when the guitars aren't going.

That's where the M-80's noise gate works a treat. It can hamper feedback, at certain settings, but keeps thing quiet.

I wonder if an MXR noise gate would help your cause Ima?

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

That's where the M-80's noise gate works a treat. It can hamper feedback, at certain settings, but keeps thing quiet.

I wonder if an MXR noise gate would help your cause Ima?

thanks, i'll check it out:)

• Members

Originally posted by MistahMojoRyan

I've got about $200US set aside to spend on bass gear so I thought I'd try out some effects (I'm not really interested in multi-effects units). Right now I've got an EHX Bassballs (very cool!
:cool:
) and a Double Muff which sounds like ass w/ bass...great for guitar though.

So what are some good/"essential" bass pedals? I've got a DI on my amp (it's ok) but I was thinking a dedicated one like an MXR M80 or BDDI would be good since they've got eq's and od's and the signal quality would be better. Maybe a Big Muff for fuzz? Small Stone phase shifter? Wah? Mini Q-Tron? Chorus? Flange? Compressor/Sustainer?

Like I said, recommend the "essential" additions or just the most cool ones. I know $200 isn't much to play with but it's a start.
;)
Thanks!

No pedals are essential... I had a lot of pedals and kept a few... and became an Electro-Harmonix junky !

The Bassballs is fun indeed... you'd like the Mini Q-Tron ! It's different and as fun as the Bassballs... I tried the full version of the Q-Tron and got the sound I wanted with the mini, so I saved the 100$ to get something else eventually, maybe.

I also use a Big Muff, which works very well with bass: ajust the volume level and leave the 2 other knobs almost at zero and you'll get a good sound without cutting too much lows... I've got the USA version of the Big Muff and some say the Russian is better... I wonder how better it can be 'cause I don't hear anything wrong with my USA Muff... I tried the Double Muff before buying the Big Muff and I hated the Double...

I also use an Octave Multiplexer, which is the best sounding octave pedal I came across... It is MONOPHONIC, yes, BUT the tone is soooooo cool ! You can customize your octave down tone with 2 knobs: high and low filters. The sounds you can get are more synth-style... not a reproduction of your exact sound, which is the beauty of that pedal !

Pedals, in my case, are made to be fun... I use them in some occasions but none are always switched on, really... I don't think I'll get any other pedal... oh maybe a phaser or a chorus one day but only if I find one I enjoy more then the ones that are lying there in my home studio and that I don't really use...

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! :)

Unknown, I was really considering getting the Mini Q Tron INSTEAD of a Bassballs since I figured they were pretty much the same thing. Are they really different enough to want both? I must admit, I like the "instant funk" factor of the Bassballs and people just love it when I kick it on! :cool:

• Members

while on the topic of E/H, has anyone every tried the Holy Grail Reverb? I listened to a sound clip of one of those on one setting and it sounded like a reverb and flanger gone crazy! I kind of want to check it out. Does anyone even use reverb on bass?

• Members

I'm with most who say they've had a lot of effects and kept only a few. My A/B/Y box and my volume pedal get more work than my other effects. If you have two amps, you can do a lot of cool stuff (Low freq and high freq, stero, effects and dry, "channel" switching, etc.) Volume pedals are really cool too and I think they sound sweet in conjunction with chours.

As for me, the only pedal I really use is the FullTone Bass driver. Nice overdrive sound with out side effects.

Yo.

Archived