Playstation 3!

waytoodeep03

• Members

Originally posted by waytoodeep03

i deleted this on accident looks, alot like a bose

I think you will find that the pictures posted thus far are incorrect. This is the final production model according to trusted sources:

ps3front.jpg

• Members

HAHAHA...

PS3 totally owns Xbox 360, Microsoft still couldnt figure that the smaller the better, Xbox 360 is about the size of a computer hardrive. Even though the ps3 looks to be slightly bigger than the ps2, it looks to still be a space saver.

• Members

PS3 specs:

CPU

Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

1 VMX vector unit per core

512KB L2 cache

7 x SPE @3.2GHz

7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy

total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance

Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s

VRAM 22.4GB/s

RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)

SB

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1

SD standard/mini x 1

CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)

USB 2.0 (wired)

Wi-Fi (PSP)

Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI: HDMI out x 2

Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1

Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

The new Cell processor promises to be something special.

This trailer looks incredible and it runs on a real ps3 prototype.

Killzone 2 trailer

• Members

meh...i'm going for Xbox 360. as hardware goes, it's ahead, IMO. If game programmers take advantage of the triple-core design of the 360, amazing things could happen...although i am intrigued by the Cell. and am i ever glad they changed the controller!!!!! holy {censored}, i hated that old piece of {censored} PS1/PS2 controller. most useless thumbsticks ever.

i also have my doubts about the longevity of those paper-based Blu-Ray discs...but i guess we'll see.

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

That's tasty stuff. PS3 Linux should be fun, if/when it happens.

I hear that Sony is using Microsoft's SDK, is this correct? That was the downside to Playstation, old hat development environment.

Nope, due to the new Cell chip, Toshiba and Sony had to develop a new SDK.

The new PS3 looks to be much better than the Xbox 360, let's hope the game developers feel the same way.

• Members

Originally posted by ranjaman

Nope, due to the new Cell chip, Toshiba and Sony had to develop a new SDK.

The new PS3 looks to be much better than the Xbox 360, let's hope the game developers feel the same way.

Xbox was better than PS2.. & people also argued that devs should stick to the PS2?

Microsoft does not use Bluetooth.. only Sony.

Anyways, the juvenile console fanboism is lame beyond words. I'm getting both. :) There are going to be excellent games on the two systems and both combined will most likely cost me less than a single 'decent' computer.

• Members

Originally posted by TearsofKorah

Anyways, the juvenile console fanboism is lame beyond words. I'm getting both.
:)
There are going to be excellent games on the two systems and both combined will most likely cost me less than a single 'decent' computer.

PC... for which not all games available on either console platform will be available anyways, letalone have anywhere near enough grunt to play.

I am beginning to think that the days of the gaming PC are seriously numbered. I have never built a gaming PC, never intend to.

I did think about building a multimedia PC, but I think even that is pointless when an Xbox or PS will do nicely.

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

PC... for which not all games available on either console platform will be available anyways, letalone have anywhere near enough grunt to play.

I am beginning to think that the days of the gaming PC are seriously numbered. I have never built a gaming PC, never intend to.

I did think about building a multimedia PC, but I think even that is pointless when an Xbox or PS will do nicely.

They've yet to make a good RTS game for consoles. :) PC remains my medium of choice for 'em.

• Members

Originally posted by TearsofKorah

Anyways, the juvenile console fanboism is lame beyond words. I'm getting both.
:)
There are going to be excellent games on the two systems and both combined will most likely cost me less than a single 'decent' computer.

Well said. :) I will definitely be getting the new XBox, and probably the PS3 (really depends on the games and features). XBox had a really really weak showing at E3, though. The whole MTV thing really hurt the console's launch. That was a really terrible calculation.

//S

Archived