Jury Summons

s4001

• Members

got a jury sommons today. I suppose I'll go down and do my civic duty. However, I'm bringing along my copy of the US Constitution and the California Constitution and my Libertarian membership card. Last time I did that they kicked me right out and I haven't gotten a summons for 15 years.:D

• Members

I've been summoned twice over the years, and both times made it into the jury box as one of the chosen, all the way up to the question: "What do you do for a living?"

In both cases it was drug dealing, and when the prosecution heard me say "I'm a musician" as my livelyhood (not necessarily true, but almost) the next thing I heard was "Next!".....

I guess it's role typecasting on their part, in a way, assuming someone that plays music for a living would be sympathetic to a drug dealer.....

• CMS Author

So rather than actually participating in the process outlined in the documents you carry there, you intentionally act in a way that will guarantee you get a day off work instead? It's okay to quote the Constitution, but only to the point where it affects you? Is there something I'm not reading correctly here?

• Members

I have long hair, and I say that I'm a musician. They still don't like us long-hair, freaky types in their court rooms. Being an ex-military weapons guy doesn't hurt either. Little do they know, I'm actually a Solaris Sys Admin for a major telcomm. (I really am a retired military weapons guy and I do keep my hair long, but I'm only an amateur musician. :cool: )

• Members

Originally posted by s4001

got a jury sommons today. I suppose I'll go down and do my civic duty. However, I'm bringing along my copy of the US Constitution and the California Constitution and my Libertarian membership card. Last time I did that they kicked me right out and I haven't gotten a summons for 15 years.
:D

I'll have to do that... except for the Libertarian membership card. Don't have one of those.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

So rather than actually participating in the process outlined in the documents you carry there, you intentionally act in a way that will guarantee you get a day off work instead? It's okay to quote the Constitution, but only to the point where it affects you? Is there something I'm not reading correctly here?

I fully intend to participate. Last time I was summoned it was a drug case and I simply said, I'm a Libertarian and I disagree with current drug laws, but I will observe the case to the best of my ability. That got me thrown out.

Don't look at me, look at the lawyer.

• Members

Craig, I don't quote the Constitution in any way. I just live my life by playing the game on a daily basis, with whatever rules apply to that day....not to say I'm out of control, or anything like that, but I still have a lot of fun a lot of the time...

I also don't feel that I've been a good enough member of society to pass judgement in any way on any other person. I've had my problems, and although I've never been arrested, there were several times when I should have been.

I do care about getting dangerous criminals off the streets, that's why I pay an OUTRAGEOUS amount of taxes here in California from each one of my paychecks.

I hope you can tell I'm serious about my reply, here.

The "day off work" comment stung a little, as I'm sure you intended it to.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by timmerz

Craig, I don't quote the Constitution in any way. I just live my life by playing the game on a daily basis, with whatever rules apply to that day....not to say I'm out of control, or anything like that, but I still have a lot of fun a lot of the time...

I also don't feel that I've been a good enough member of society to pass judgement in any way on any other person. I've had my problems, and although I've never been arrested, there were several times when I should have been.

I do care about getting dangerous criminals off the streets, that's why I pay an OUTRAGEOUS amount of taxes here in California from each one of my paychecks.

I hope you can tell I'm serious about my reply, here.

The "day off work" comment stung a little, as I'm sure you intended it to.

My post was a reply to the original post, not yours. I referred to s4001 taking copies of the US and CA Constitutions.

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

Huh, I wonder why they poop on engineers.

They tend to think and be smart (or so goes the theory). Don't want analytical types on the jury. Emotions are better to work at, generally.

• CMS Author

I fully intend to participate. Last time I was summoned it was a drug case and I simply said, I'm a Libertarian and I disagree with current drug laws, but I will observe the case to the best of my ability. That got me thrown out.

Don't look at me, look at the lawyer.

Who're you trying to bull{censored} here? Did you really think you'd be permitted to sit on a jury after saying that? I'm not looking at the lawyer, who did exactly what the law says he must do. Trials are really quite simple. There's a law, and the state believes it was broken. You as a citizen, especially as a Constitution-lovin' Libertarian (and that's not a derogatory) have an obligation to help uphold that law, whether you like that law or not, for the trial. If you really don't like that law, pursue getting it changed outside the courtroom. Don't take it out on the State or the defendant at a trial by trying to get out of serving.

• Moderators

got a jury sommons today. I suppose I'll go down and do my civic duty. However, I'm bringing along my copy of the US Constitution and the California Constitution and my Libertarian membership card. Last time I did that they kicked me right out and I haven't gotten a summons for 15 years.
:D

If you read and understood either of the constitutions you'd understand that you have no use for them on jury duty. Bringing them with you is a childish call for attention and an excuse to be excused. If comedy is your goal, you've succeeded. I actually find jurors like you to be humorous. If educated and responsible civic duty is your goal, you have a ways to go.

• Members

They also tend to dismiss teachers regularly. If you remember, a teacher will listen to how your dog ate your homework, and then give you a zero anyway for not turning it in. No matter what the reason, you either did the work or you didn't, and you were graded on it.

Defense lawyers want someone sympathetic, not someone who will listen politely and then give their client a zero anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Kindness

If you read and understood either of the constitutions you'd understand that you have no use for them on jury duty. Bringing them with you is a childish call for attention and an excuse to be excused. If comedy is your goal, you've succeeded. I actually find jurors like you to be humorous. If educated and responsible civic duty is your goal, you have a ways to go.

Lighten up tiger. I've said twice that I'm going to do my job. It's called humor. I'm glad I've presented some relief for your tedious day. That's what we're all here for.

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

They also tend to dismiss teachers regularly. If you remember, a teacher will listen to how your dog ate your homework, and then give you a zero anyway for not turning it in. No matter what the reason, you either did the work or you didn't, and you were graded on it.

Defense lawyers want someone sympathetic, not someone who will listen politely and then give their client a zero anyway.

Makes sense. Lawyers prefer to play up emotions. They can be easier to work with than facts in the large cases. Anyone seen as more analytical is a threat.

Archived