I'm crippled!

GrooveMonkey

• Members

I went to get out of bed this morning and my lower back went all tweakey on me. I hit the floor and lied ther a while. It feels like a piece of broken glass twisting around in my lower spine. Cindy helped me get up and dressed me for my 30 minute climb downstairs (from the third floor). I sat in the rolling office chair in my kitchen for a while until I mustered up whatever the hell it took to get me to the car. I went to the Chiropractor and he stretched me around a bit and suggested a cold pack, and that I get a doctor to prescribe some mucle relaxers for me. Somehow, in my sleep, I've managed to strain the muscles in my back very badly and they're swelling up against a nerve. My Doctor's office is closed today so I'm back in my chair popping Ibuprofen and trying not to shift my weight around.

Cindy took the day off from work to help me get around. I'd love to go out on the porch and light up a cigar with a nice glass of Bourbon but the door seems about 200 miles away and Cindy's left to go pick up some stuff at her office. :(

• Members

The pain killers kicked in and I made an absoloutley pathetic hobble out to the porch with my cigar, bourbon, and laptop.

I thought to myself "man, what if you take a dive with your laptop and glass O'booze?"

I made it dammit didn't I :mad::D

Ahhh....Ow!

• Members

I feel your pain man! I have a recurring problem with my lower back too. In the past it's been a simple movement, like reaching down to turn on the shower or bending over to pick up a ball, and I'm on the ground unable to walk. Two or three visits to my chiro and I'm good for another 6 or 8 months with no pain between occurences. It has something to do with my SI joints in my hips that get out of whack and screw with the muscles in my lower back.

Not fun. Not fun at all. :mad:

• Members

So what you're saying is that we can all go over to your place, drink all your booze and smoke all of your cigars and there's not much that you can do about it? :D

I hope you feel better soon. I've had it happen once or twice and there's very little worse than a tweaked back. Bad backs suck.

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

So what you're saying is that we can all go over to your place, drink all your booze and smoke all of your cigars and there's not much that you can do about it?
:D

I hope you feel better soon. I've had it happen once or twice and there's very little worse than a tweaked back. Bad backs suck.

My dog still has a good back and she's trained to guard the humidor and liquor cabinet. :D

Come on over, I'll share.

• Members

Originally posted by GrooveMonkey

My dog still has a good back and she's trained to guard the humidor and liquor cabinet.
:D

Come on over, I'll share.

Good man! :D

I'm stuck here in CA, otherwise I'd be there.;)

• Members

Drink enough to numb the pain, but not to overlook it. :)

Totally sympathize. Even minor back pain makes it damn near impossible to do anything. Recalls the old line, "If a man ain't got his health..." :(

Get well!

• Members

Somehow, in my sleep, I've managed to strain the muscles in my back very badly and they're swelling up against a nerve.

Ahhh, the 'ol "go to sleep fine and wake up feeling like someone hit you in the back with a baseball bat" syndrome. Can't even roll over or get out of bed and if you do manage, you fall like a sack o' tatos. Know it all to well. Only mine's up just below the shoulderblade when it happens to me and lasts a good 3 days. Nothing seems to work but painkillers and allot of 'em. Not even getting hammered. Then you're just hammered AND hurtin'.

What I want to know is, HOW THE HELL DOES ONE STRAIN THE MUSCLES IN THE BACK WHILE SLEEPING?????

TEN

• Members

It's been a dozen years or so... I stopped counting a while back.

I fell off a ladder. That didn't hurt a bit! LANDING on the other hand caused a considerable amount of damage.

I was only working about 10 feet up but had my toobelt seriously loaded up, thinking I didn't want to have to climb back down for this or that; I'd just maximize my time on the roof. So I was about 35# overweight at the time.

I lost my balance climbing up and was faced with the choice --a choice made in seconds that seemed like days-- of landing prostrate on my back or trying to land on my feet while moving backward.

I opted for trying to land erect.

Wound up breaking both of my heels and my back in one fell swoop. I still hurt to this day. (Ibuprofen is my best friend, next to my dear wife...)

THe job I was on at the time was in a really old part of town and I was working on a Sunday.

As soon as I landed I tried to stand. That didn't work at all! I had to crawl down the alley to the next house, let myself through the gate, crawl all the way to the front, then back into my customer's yard, and to her back door. About 500' total.

She was fairly suprised to see me there on my knees at her door on a Sunday afternoon...

I spent about a week in hospital and then the next 6 weeks in a wheelchair. From there I progressed through crutches, to cane and ultimately to being able to create the apearance of being 'normal' in my gait. But there's a LOT of {censored} I just can't do anymore.

A freind of mine in the same line of work had a similar accident.

He fell off a third story and landed on his head. Since then he has been in a wheelchair and is barely able to hold a grip on a pencil.

In light of this, I don't feel very sorry for myself.

What I'm trying to tell you is this: While your situation sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, somebody else's sucks more. So count your blessings.

I know from where it is I speak.

Best of luck to you in your travail!

• Members

Yeah, I know the feeling, though not that extreme.

I feel like someone's prodding a finger hard into my lower back 24/7, and it gets worse if I don't use the muscles.

I do martial arts training once a week but I've passed over three weeks now and I feel like there's a big knot in my lower back.

Archived