Anyone replace the stock pickups in their MIA P-Bass?

bbl

• Members

I'm thinking about replacing the stock pickups in my 1996 MIA P-Bass. Has anyone here done this? If so, what replacement pickups did you use and how do they sound compared to the stock pickups? Thanks. :)

• Members

Originally posted by lug

I thought about it untill I dropped a BA II on it, then it was perfection.

My bass has string-thru body, but I still wonder if a BA II would improve the tone. You think? My open E is a little muddy, but I love the open A.

• Members

Originally posted by bbl

My bass has string-thru body, but I still wonder if a BA II would improve the tone. You think? My open E is a little muddy, but I love the open A.

I've heard that the high mass bridges don't help string-thrus nearly as much as top mounts, but my E isn't muddy at all. :confused:

• Members

I've had a Dimarzo model P in my MIA. It was good, more output, good mids. Can't remember much more about it.

I then switched to Seymour Duncan quarter pounders and they are the pickups that are staying in there. They rock! WAAAY better lows than the Dimarzio and MIA stockers. They are good accross the spectrum but the lows are just SO much better.

They seem to get good reviews everywhere but are described as a "rock" pickup more than anything. That's A-OK with me :)

I've got a string through body Fender bridge as well and the SD pickups made enough of a difference that I'm not worried about the bridge anymore. My E string sounds great now.

Archived