Anybody got an opinion on Ibanez AEB10 Acoustic Basses?

Bluesman0511

• Members

Is that a Korean Ibanez?

If so, and you have a local Cort dealer, go to that shop instead. I don't have my brochure right now, but Cort has something like 7 different ABGs right now and they have been known to work very closely with Ibanez in the past (compare a Cort X to an Ibanez RG). If Cort makes one like that, it'll be the same thing but probably $50 or so cheaper.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Is that a Korean Ibanez?

If so, and you have a local Cort dealer, go to that shop instead. I don't have my brochure right now, but Cort has something like 7 different ABGs right now and they have been known to work very closely with Ibanez in the past (compare a Cort X to an Ibanez RG). If Cort makes one like that, it'll be the same thing but probably $50 or so cheaper.

How do you know if it is a Korean made model?

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesman0511

How do you know if it is a Korean made model?

I'm not too familiar, but with Ibanez generally they have two lines-Korean and Japanese. Korean is usually the lower end models, like your beginner RG guitars. Japanese are the extreme high-end instruments.

If its at a nearby shop, it'll say on the headstock. If the serial number is preceded by a small "c," then it is also a Cort-manufactured bass.

• Members

I'm not too familiar, but with Ibanez generally they have two lines-Korean and Japanese. Korean is usually the lower end models, like your beginner RG guitars. Japanese are the extreme high-end instruments.

If its at a nearby shop, it'll say on the headstock. If the serial number is preceded by a small "c," then it is also a Cort-manufactured bass.

Far out !!! I'll check that out.

Thanks for the tip.

• Members

Originally posted by sludgebass69

That's a Korean model. I've played that one before at GC and I was impressed. Definitely better than the cheap Fender ABG, not as nice as the $1000 Tacoma but hey......
;)

Cort makes a lot of Tacomas, too. Or it may be Samick, I don't recall offhand.

• Members

aeb10ebk3nh.jpg

Just played an Ibanez AEB10 on my lunch break today. I was impressed. The tone was gorgeous, deep and full. Action felt good. The price won't break my wallet, either $349 sans case.

Anybody got any opinions on this one?

I was also impressed ! Ibanez has 2 new models now : AEB8E and AEB10E

The AEB8E (which I tried) is even cheaper, comes only in black, the rosette is straight foward (no abalone thing), the top-back-side is made of Agathis, pickup is Ibanez instead of Fishman, great preamp, tuner and XLR out built in ! I tried that one without seeing the price tag and prefered it to basses twice the price (Fender, Takamine, Epiphone and Ovation). They go for less then 250$ around here (plus tax, in US $, I made the conversion)

The AEB10E comes in natural or dark violin sunburst (dark brown burst)... mahoganny back and sides, spruce top, fishman pup, same preamp as the 8E (except "tuned" for the fishman pickup), same features except better strings stock and abalone inlaid rosette. I think it's around 340/350$

I haven't tried the AEB10E yet, but I was surprised enough with the AEB8E... When I'll have the money, I'll go out and try both... Unless I get to find something that is as nice at a reasonable price, I think I'm gonna get either one of these.

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

177086.jpg
AEB8E

177087.jpg
AEB10E in dark violin sunburst

Yeah, they sound great, they feel great and ain't they pretty, too!! I am extremely tempted to stop shopping and put my money down. Gotta figure out a way to squeek it past my wife!!!

• Members

Yeah I've played the Ibanez AEB10 several times its one of the best cheap AB out there. Not as deep sounding as the Tacoma but I like its feel & look better than the Tacomas. It sounds better than the low end Fenders (BG-31, BG-29, BG-32) but not as good as the higher end Fender (GB41SCE). I was impressed with the GB41SCE its the best sounding AB I've tried. I haven't tried the Martin or Taylor though. Fender has a Victor Baily signature AB out but I haven't tried that one either. Anybody tried that one?

• Members

groovin: yup, I prefered it the Fenders but if my memory is right, the Fender GP was better and twice the price..

Bluesman: good luck with the wife;)

I'm going back to check those out maybe this week... and pick one up (if everything goes well)...

• Members

When I tried out the AEB10 the other day, the sales guy at Guitar Center plugged me into a monster SWR amp (500+ watts I think he said). The bass sounded great, but now I wonder what it'll sound like on a smaller rig.

I have a 125 Watt Polytone mini-Brute with a 15" speaker ( I don't gig on bass, yet ) and I'm thinking it will be plenty for the acoustic bass. What will it do to the tone, 'tho?

I'm also wondering about using the acoustic bass with electric instruments. The tone is so fat and deep, I'd love to be able to use it extensively, but my feeling is it won't cut through too much of an electric mix.

• Members

When I tried out the AEB10 the other day, the sales guy at Guitar Center plugged me into a monster SWR amp (500+ watts I think he said). The bass sounded great, but now I wonder what it'll sound like on a smaller rig.

I have a 125 Watt Polytone mini-Brute with a 15" speaker ( I don't gig on bass, yet ) and I'm thinking it will be plenty for the acoustic bass. What will it do to the tone, 'tho?

I'm also wondering about using the acoustic bass with electric instruments. The tone is so fat and deep, I'd love to be able to use it extensively, but my feeling is it won't cut through too much of an electric mix.

I can't help you on that cutting thing... I'm buying one for acoustical jams with 1 or 2 guitar(s) (electric or classical) and light percussions. I might need a really small amp to help cut through even in that situation (not sure yet, I'll try before).

As for cutting through an electric band, I don't know... but 125 watt with whatever bass instrument is not always loud enough anyways...

• Members

I've heard the suggestion that you buy the bass, put it behind your others, then when your wife is looking several months from now just say "Oh, I've had that one for years."

That might work. But I'd be nervous until she found it that she'd kick me out.

hubandbooted7tl.gif

Just kidding. She's a good egg!!!

Archived