Playing bass with a pick is like...

Lanefair

• Members

I use a pick at practices and at shows right now because i've been playing guitar for 15 years. I've been playing bass for about 2 months. I can play a hell of a lot better right now with a pick, but at home, i'm trying to develop some good fingerstyle technique.

and on that note, would a couple lessons at the local music store be good for me, or are there some good online beginning bass lessons? Since you guys are all also beginners ;)

I looked at some of the resources in the HC bass section, but none of them really jumped out at me. any help or suggestions?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by grogthecaveman

I use a pick at practices and at shows right now because i've been playing guitar for 15 years. I've been playing bass for about 2 months. I can play a hell of a lot better right now with a pick, but at home, i'm trying to develop some good fingerstyle technique.

and on that note, would a couple lessons at the local music store be good for me, or are there some good online beginning bass lessons? Since you guys are all also beginners
;)

I looked at some of the resources in the HC bass section, but none of them really jumped out at me. any help or suggestions?

If you've been playing guitar for 15 years I don't think bass lessons would be much use to you.

• Members

Originally posted by oneinchshawn

Maybe, going from my experience the people hired as "teachers" aren't the most proficient players.

that's why i've been hesitant to take lessons in the first place. The ONLY thing i want instruction on is fingerpicking technique. That's why i went online first. I just want to find some good drills i can practice and maybe some illustrations or descriptions of how you are supposed to position your hand to avoid getting tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome.

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

1. Eating spaghetti with out a fork is just wrong.

2. Ironicly, my teacher is the one who got me to improve and correct my right hand fingerpicking technique, and he's a guitarist(and a damn good one at that).

does your teacher eat spaghetti with a spoon?

• Members

Load of cobblers. Providing you sound good, it doesn't matter what you use to play the bass. Inspirational pick-bassists like Chris Squire, JPJ, Lemmy et al didn't spend their time worrying over what is the most "correct" way to play, they just developed a style that suited them and the music they were playing.

• Members
Originally posted by ggoroni

does your teacher eat spaghetti with a spoon?

No, why would he? I don't think they let people who eat spaghetti with a spoon teach at the National Guitar Workshop(not even at the Bass Summit or the bass clinics).

Archived