Thinking about getting a G&L Tribute L2000

Waabs

• Members

I would think the Musicman S.U.B. basses should be pretty high on your list. I own a U.S. MM Sterling and it does kick some major ass, and the word around here is MM's S.U.B. basses are pretty sweet. And though I've never tried a G&L Tribute, I have played a U.S. L2000, and the slap tone was killer.

• Members

Originally posted by seccho

I would think the Musicman S.U.B. basses should be pretty high on your list. I own a U.S. MM Sterling and it does kick some major ass, and the word around here is MM's S.U.B. basses are pretty sweet. And though I've never tried a G&L Tribute, I have played a U.S. L2000, and the slap tone was killer.

Hey Waabs...your answer could be in this post right here.

I don't know anything about slapping, but I do own an L-2000 and an L-2500 Tribute. The electronics are the same in each bass, thus I would expect the slapping tone (as mentioned by seccho) to be good. I actually think the Tribute is every bit as good of an instrument as my MIA L-2000 with the exception that I think the toggle switches are slightly noisy on the Trib compared to the L-2000. That's a very small price to pay for the difference in price.

If you want to check out my two G&L's, check out the link in my sig.

• Members

I hear the 4-string Marcus Miller has a pretty nasty preamp in it compared to the fiver. They supposedly don't sound anywhere near as good.

If your looking at the Skylines, check out some Cort Artisans. The A4 and B4 have the same electronics as the 44-01. The A4 is neck-thru too, if that means anything.

And another vote that the SUB should at least be considered. I mean, poor man's Stingray! Same can be said about that Ibanez bass (the ATK?), and the Cort GB series.

But, if your looking at a G&L Tribute, you probably aren't going to get something better than that, just different. The Tribute gives you tonal options that none of these other basses can touch while still having a killer slap tone.

• Members

In that price range, Godin are a good thing to check...

I have a G&L L-2500 and a Godin BG4... and the Godin sounds different but as good as the (non-Tribute) G&L...

I'd suggest you try the Godin BG4 if you can still find one (they are being discontinued) or the Freeway Active (mahogany body, same electronics as the BG4).

Both nice basses, not alot of people are thinking about trying these and I'm sure glad I did !

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Hey Waabs...your answer could be in this post right here.

I don't know anything about slapping, but I do own an L-2000 and an L-2500 Tribute. The electronics are the same in each bass, thus I would expect the slapping tone (as mentioned by seccho) to be good. I actually think the Tribute is every bit as good of an instrument as my MIA L-2000 with the exception that I think the toggle switches are slightly noisy on the Trib compared to the L-2000. That's a very small price to pay for the difference in price.

If you want to check out my two G&L's, check out the link in my sig.

ditto that, except my toggle switches are okay. my pots are noisy though. it's an easy and cheap fix that i just haven't gotten around to yet.

waabs, i think you'd like the g&l for sure.

• Members

Originally posted by j powell

ditto that, except my toggle switches are okay. my pots are noisy though. it's an easy and cheap fix that i just haven't gotten around to yet.

waabs, i think you'd like the g&l for sure.

My pots are fine. The toggles are fine too really. If I flip the toggle gently, there's no noise.

• Members

After months of deliberation and noodling around on other people's basses I've finally decided to buy a Tribute L-2000.

I was wondering though, when it's in passive mode is that a true passive or does it still use the battery?

They sure look good for the money.

• Members

Originally posted by Ravelleman

After months of deliberation and noodling around on other people's basses I've finally decided to buy a Tribute L-2000.

I was wondering though, when it's in passive mode is that a true passive or does it still use the battery?

They sure look good for the money.

True passive and one of the few where the bass and treble controls are pre-preamp so they also work in passive mode.

Archived