Under powering spekers

SA Rios

• Members

Originally posted by SA Rios

We're all just trying to learn something here. Thats why we joined this forum. Why don't you let the people with knowlege here answer our questions instead of being an ass and
:rolleyes:
roling your eyes at us.

excuse me? if someone doesn't know what they're talking about, then why are they giving bunk answers?

i've been mis led because an ASS went off he said she said bull{censored}!

i'm tryin to help you, don't appreciate you call ing me an ASS:mad:

how bout i stop giving you advice! would you feel better then!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by miles to go

Based on what? Better in what way?

I've run some pretty serious mis-matches in both directions and haven't found one to sound better than the other. As long as you have enough speaker and enough amp to give you the volume you need and enough sense not to blow anything up, you should be fine. [/quote

what i mean is an amp with less power than the cabinet can take, there is a slight difference. i noticed my midrange wasn't as strong.

tha'ts what i mean:)

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

I'd like to suggest that if you pump 700 honest watts into your Avatar 2 x 10", you'll pop those drivers like pustulent zits.

Most power ratings/claims on modern gear is utter bull{censored}.

That sounds about right :D

• Members

Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

excuse me? if someone doesn't know what they're talking about, then why are they giving bunk answers?

i've been mis led because an ASS went off he said she said bull{censored}!

i'm tryin to help you, don't appreciate you call ing me an ASS:mad:

how bout i stop giving you advice! would you feel better then!

you guys so don't get it

i've been playing bass since i was 6 fools

i'm not always right, though am not always wrong!

When you say stuff like this and roll your eyes it makes you come off as a cocky asshole. I'm sure most people on this board will agree to that. And you even say "i'm not always right, though am not always wrong! " So I'm sure some of your answers have been bunk at one time or another.

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

Youse guys is a riot!

yeah, i really don't appreciate their insults:mad:

all i tried to do was help and they {censored} on me!

F^%k em! i ain't in hear to PLEASE them (you). i'm here to learn and help others. and i know others don't appreciate those who are giving false information.

i prove my point, everyone in here knows i mean well, but if some idiot comes into my world and calls me an ASS! that shows a sign of small and insignificant genitelia

• Members

Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

yeah, i really don't appreciate their insults:mad:

all i tried to do was help and they {censored} on me!

F^%k em! i ain't in hear to PLEASE them (you). i'm here to learn and help others. and i know others don't appreciate those who are giving false information.

i prove my point, everyone in here knows i mean well, but if some idiot comes into my world and calls me an ASS! that shows a sign of small and insignificant genitelia

Did you just call me an idiot? Well, I guess we both have small genitelia.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by miles to go

It is the clipped waveform that results from overdriving a solid state power section that is harmful to the speakers. My understanding is that the clipped waveforms produce spikes in the amps output that are much higher than the rated power. So in reality, you end up OVERpowering the speakers. The reason people caution against "underpowering" speakers is that a 400w amp run cleanly will actually have lower powered peaks than a 300w amp pushed into clipping. You will not damage the speaker by sending less than it's rated power to it, so as long as the amp is running cleanly you are safe.

Look at it another way: If underpowering an amp were harmful, you could never turn the volume down.

There are certainly people here more knowledgeable than I on this subject, so I welcome any corrections or additions.

Okay.

There are two things that damage a speaker. Okay, three (forgot about lug MP3's):

More power than the voice coil can dissipate as heat and motion.

More motion than the suspension can recover from.

100 continuous average watts of clipped waveform has no more energy than 100 continuous watts of sine. Assuming accurately rated speakers and amps (and this assumption should not be taken as a given....speaker manufacturers are all on board the "more is better" wagon and are stretching the truth more than ever...an Eminence Delta has magically gone from 300 to 450watts overnight with no actual change in design), you can't thermally damage a speaker with less power than its rating.

Keep in mind that a 100w amp that puts out this power at 1% THD is more than capable of doing double that output when overdriven.

Archived