Under powering spekers

SA Rios

• Members

I know its bad to under power your speakers, but how much under is safe. I have an Ashdown ABM500 rated at about 575 watts at 4 ohms. I just sold my 410 and am getting an Eden 210XLT, 8 ohm cab which is rated at 350 watts. If I really crank up the amp, will underpowering by 50 watts really be that bad?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, the head is rated at 300 watts at 8 ohms? If so, it's not really a problem until you've turned your head up so loud it's sending "square signals" through your cab. That is what could damage your speakers. If you don't turn up that loud, you shouldn't have any problems.

Or at least that's my understanding...

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

So, the head is rated at 300 watts at 8 ohms? If so, it's not really a problem until you've turned your head up so loud it's sending "square signals" through your cab. That is what could damage your speakers. If you don't turn up that loud, you shouldn't have any problems.

Yea, around 300 at 8 ohms. cab is rated at 350

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNDERPOWERING SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad:
YOU CAN ONLY BE UNDERPOWERED IF YOU'RE CURRENT RIG ISN'T LOUD ENOUGH, AND YOU'RE PUSHING YOUR AMP INTO CLIPPING, WHICH WILL DAMAGE THE SPEAKERS!!!!!!
:mad:

no such thing? You sure can under power a cab, I don't know who told you otherwise but they be mistaken.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

bp7770's got it right. You don't need to worry about underpowering a speaker, you need to worry about underpowering a situation. If you drive your amp into clipping, you can damage the speakers.

• Members

Originally posted by SA Rios

no such thing? You sure can under power a cab, I don't know who told you otherwise but they be mistaken.

I'm sorry, but you can only be underpowered for your situation. You can run a 300 watt head into a 1400 watt cab no problem, as long as you aren't clipping the power amp. If you run the amp clean, you will never blow the speakers. EVER.

• Members

Originally posted by miles to go

bp7770's got it right. You don't need to worry about underpowering a speaker, you need to worry about underpowering a situation. If you drive your amp into clipping, you can damage the speakers.

Cool, so no prob. I doubt I'll be cranking the amp past 6 or 7 anyway.

• Members

This sounds like an issue of semantics.

As I've heard it explained here before, pushing 200w to a 300w cab will not hurt the cab UNLESS the 200w is the max of the amp and it is clipping. I run my GBE-600 (425w) into my Avatar 210 (600w) and have never hurt the cab. I'm sure if I cranked the amp to the max and sent some nastiness to the cab that the speakers may not respond favorably.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

This sounds like an issue of semantics.

As I've heard it explained here before, pushing 200w to a 300w cab will not hurt the cab UNLESS the 200w is the max of the amp and it is clipping. I run my GBE-600 (425w) into my Avatar 210 (600w) and have never hurt the cab. I'm sure if I cranked the amp to the max and sent some nastiness to the cab that the speakers may not respond favorably.

and thats a 175 watt difference in wattage. I'm only talking about a 50 watt difference.

• Members

and thats a 175 watt difference in wattage. I'm only talking about a 50 watt difference.

I'm trying to figure out your point here? Which would be "worse" by your estimation? I figure that if I max my amp and you max your amp, we're likely to get similar results with our speakers. Of course I could be wrong because I admittedly don't know a lot about this stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm trying to figure out your point here? Which would be "worse" by your estimation? I figure that if I max my amp and you max your amp, we're likely to get similar results with our speakers. Of course I could be wrong because I admittedly don't know a lot about this stuff.

Well thats what I'm trying to figue out here too. is it worse to be under by 50 watts or 100 or 200, etc. or does it matter.

• Members

Well thats what I'm trying to figue out here too. is it worse to be under by 50 watts or 100 or 200, etc. or does it matter.

dude, jus as long as your amp is more powerful than your cab, it will be ok.

been playing most my life, i know what i'm talkin about. so jus be careful not to blow them, that would be the only problem.

but if your amp has less wattage than your cab, you ain't going to get the best sound out of your cab

hope this helps:)

• Members

Originally posted by Geddy'sFavHeadache

but if your amp has less wattage than your cab, you ain't going to get the best sound out of your cab

You mean my cab can sound even better?!?

I just checked the Avatar site. My B210 is rated at 700w. My head puts out 425w. I never turn my amp past about 10 o'clock (not to be confused with "10"). It's loud as hell and sounds great.

So, are you suggesting that I need to get a head that puts out more than 700w to make my cab sound better?

:confused:

Archived