On Stage Banter

james on bass

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Regarding what I said above, of course talk should be kept to a minimum. Talking between every song is way too much. Introducing each song and describing it's meaning is not what the audience wants to hear...

True, if you have to think too hard about what you're going to banter about, it's best to keep quiet. Banter should be off the cuff improv. No one cares all that much about where the song came from.

As for who is doing the banter, I think if the singer can't hack it, then someone else should step up. Although, the singer would be the 1st option.

• Members

In my black metal band our vocalist is something of a dark secret in our community so he doesnt talk much on stage. Plus, onstage banter is mostly in Greek (even if we sing in English) and he has only a tenuous command of the language.

In my other band the singer does all the talking, being a pretty hot chick helps :cool:

• Members

Our setlists are usually an hour each, and each set has three or four "talk marks" scheduled in, the rest of the set is one song into the next. Singer handles the talks beautifully. He includes the normal thanks, make noise, buy our {censored}, tip your bartenders, etc... but he also often uses those moments to lead into the next song by spitting out something relevant to whats comin up. He has a great ability to keep it interesting but still plays to the crowd. He's very good about involving the audience.

Of course, by the third set, we're all pretty much lit up and ya can't shut any of us up. Thats when the comedy routine kicks in.

• Members

If you're going to have on-stage banter, it needs to be worked out somewhat ahead of time, or it tends to sound pretty lame. The worst, of course, is the what-song-do-you-wanna-do-next variety.

Also really annoying is when band members are talking and the guitarist is tuning up (use a tuner with a mute, for gosh sakes) or the drummer is just bashing away (because that's what drummers like to do).

One cool thing to do if it's not overused is to introduce the song while it's starting and then come right in with the vocals or lead instrument, kind of like a radio DJ.

• Members

Originally posted by MDLMUSIC

If you're going to have on-stage banter, it needs to be worked out somewhat ahead of time, or it tends to sound pretty lame. .

I disagree. I think you are much more successful if it's "real time" right now stuff. If it's not comfortable and natural, just don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by THX1138

Of course, by the third set, we're all pretty much lit up and ya can't shut any of us up. Thats when the comedy routine kicks in.

Yeah, the four of us are like the Marx Brothers...:D

...if all four of them were Zeppo.:(

• Members
Originally posted by zachoff

I'm not sure I like the talky talk too much. It really bugs me when singers introduce every song and say what it's about and give their inspiration. Waste of time, IMO. I don't mind when they say, "This is a song called..." type stuff but I don't like the in-between song stuff too much.

I guess I'm just used to punk rock shows where they end a song and go immediately to the next song unless they tune or break a string or something.

Ramones style

hold out last chord
1 2 3 4
start next song
:D

Archived