Leaving the bass in a hot car

tdempsey

• Members

What's the worst that could happen?

I won't do it on a freezing cold day, because after work when I rehearse, its uninviting to play a cold instrument.

But what is the pitfall of leaving it in the car during a hot workday for an after work practice?

Any experience with this, please share.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Tlaloc

I've done it many times. I havent noticed any problems, but I try to avoid it. It just doesnt seem like a good thing to do.

I've done it quite a bit too, but I try not to whenever I can. Haven't noticed any issues yet. Once in a while can't hurt, but don't make a habit of it.

• Members

I never, ever leave my instruments in my car for periods of time if I can help it. It's really easy to get them ripped off. As for the heat, I think probably if it was a long time in there, the finish might get messed up. It can get really hot in a sealed car.

All that said - I leave my AMPS and cabinets in my car almost all the time. I don't think the heat will hurt them (because they generate heat when they're on), and I figure no one's going to go after a couple of hundred pounds of speaker cabinets...

My neighborhood and my work are pretty safe. Famous last words... :D

...you know, unless I'm going into the city. Then I take everything, period.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

While I don't keep instruments in the car for long periods of time, I wonder how all these nice Korean instruments get here. Do they fly 'em in temp controlled aircraft?
:p

quite a few of them have warped necks by the time the customer recieves them...

• Members

This story is a little extreme compared to the original question, but its worth tellin anyway...

Bout 8 or 9 years ago I was playin a club in Key West. Outdoor club, rained the night before loadout, left my case in the rain, put the bass in it anyway (drunk I think). There it stayed, packed in a van for a week and a half in the middle of summer. Got to the next gig and bout {censored} myself when I opened the case... Headstock had warped into a "U" shape, fretboard was almost completely peeled off the neck, and there was a smelly, slimy green fungus all over the whole thing. Luckily, I found a luthier in Columbus, GA who was able to restore it back to what it was. Unluckily, it cost me about what I paid for the bass to begin with.

Now I realize that leavin it in a wet case was bout dumber than a sack of toenails, but ya live learn. Regardless, this is why I don't take any more chances with the heat.

• Members

I've always avoided doing that when possible. I have never had a problem with leaving my bass in the car in the heat for half a day or so. The case I use is one of the early 80's black plastic Fender cases. The inside is cloth covered styrofoam I think.

• Members

Originally posted by The Insomniac

Also avoid exposing an instrument to rapid temperature changes which could crack the finish.

I think most Basses have a thicker finish on it. But I left my fiddle in the car on a few MILDLY WARM days....... it wasn't a scorcher by any means. The finish cracked all over the place. A couple years later, the neck also popped off. Can't say that's cause of leaving it in the car..... but it was the glue that gave way. Enough heat will cause glue to soften.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

Enough heat will cause glue to soften.

This is true, but for most modern quality glue this temperature is in the neighbourhood of 200+ degree F. I know this from personal experience with the instruments I build. I really don't know how hot it can get in cars in the southern US though.

I would agree with the general consensus that leaving out in a car on a really hot day is not a good idea.

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

I won't be there when you get back.

Hell, I won't be there when he gets back either, it's his bass I'm wondering about! :D

Seriously, bad idea, good way to get it stolen or ruin the neck or even cause the pickguard or plastic cavity covers to warp.

• Members

Originally posted by bholder

Hell, I won't be there when he gets back either, it's his bass I'm wondering about!
:D

Seriously, bad idea, good way to get it stolen or ruin the neck or even cause the pickguard or plastic cavity covers to warp.

Ah {censored}. I didn't even notice the error til you said something. :o

• Members

Originally posted by tdempsey

What's the
worst
that could happen?

I won't do it on a freezing cold day, because after work when I rehearse, its uninviting to play a cold instrument.

But what is the pitfall of leaving it in the car during a hot workday for an after work practice?

Any experience with this, please share.

Thanks!

Spontaneous combustion.

:eek:

Really.

Thousands of basses spontaneously combust each year. It's just not widely reported.;)

Archived