Bag of tricks

Dthraco

• Members

So I'm working on some new songs and I'm finding out that I'm a bit lacking when it comes to a vocal "bag of tricks". For Guitar and Bass I have all kinds fo tricks and riffs and licks that I can use when writing or jamming. But when it comes to singing, seems a bit of a different ball game.

i.e.

Switching to Falsetto for certain phrases

Sing slow and then bunch up the words in a verse. (is there a term for this?)

Hold a long note over a busy musical part

How about sharing some of the tools in your "bag of tricks"?

• Members

You guys don't ever just hear weird little melodic ideas in your head and try to create them with your voice?

I personally find singers that have a "trick bag" end up sounding really "samey" - like they're just showing off their tricks in their songs (a la Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Christina Aguilera) rather than really putting their heart and soul into them.

I always thought all those gospel runs and things were just Pharisee-style wankery, like a "hey, look at me! I'm praising Jesus with LOTS OF NOTES!"

But that's just how I hear it...I'm sure it touches other people more.

Brian V.

• Members

I'm particularly fond of breaking your voice on purpose - it conveys so much emotion. Sighing is great too if you can pull it off - check out the beginning of Every Rose has its Thorn for an example. If you do these, try to look as though they're coming from a legitimate emotional place inside, and not the result of acting (even though they are).

• Members

I think because I spend so much time on a single song that I obsess on what to sing about and how to phrase it...wanting the song to be the best it can.

Eightstring - yes, phrasing!

MusicalSchizo - I have an X3 Live now! Using it for bass in the cover band, but will eventually use it for acoustic gigs.

• Members

I think because I spend so much time on a single song that I obsess on what to sing about and how to phrase it...wanting the song to be the best it can.

Eightstring - yes, phrasing!

MusicalSchizo - I have an X3 Live now! Using it for bass in the cover band, but will eventually use it for acoustic gigs.

Cool! I hope it works well for you. It's served me well for bass, and I played an acoustic gig with it with my Variax and it sounded awesome (I actually play a few acoustic songs during the cover band's shows on a regular basis and the X3 Live really shines for that as well).

Brian V.

Archived