Drummer needs Bass suggestions.

Puck

• Members

Hey guys I was hoping someone could give me some advice based on first hand experience.

I am looking for a bass guitar. Fender P or J style. Most likely a P even though I really dig the sounds you can get from a J.

Big thing is I don't want to spend a lot of money. I will be using it mainly for song writing and some demo recordings.

I have read through here and the sx seems to be a popular choice for the budget bass. Right now I am thinking between a mim fender and the sx. If I got the sx I would probably do a pup swap and maybe the bridge.

In your opinions what is a better bass?

A used mim fender or upgrading a sx?

Or are they both just an OK bass?

Basically I don't want to waste 200-300 dollars and come out wishing I would have just saved up and gotten a decent used bass. I under stand that these are not going to compare to really nice equipment.

I went in to guitar center and played a bunch of fender basses. One of the Mim jazz basses actually felt good and sounded pretty decent. The other 3 I played didn't.

Sorry I know this seems to be asked a lot, but I feel better when someone directly answers my questions. If you guys point me in the way of a sx, if you could point me in the direction of what parts are good to mod it with.

Or maybe there are other brand basses out there that are a good choice.

• Members

Originally posted by Puck

I went in to guitar center and played a bunch of fender basses. One of the Mim jazz basses actually felt good and sounded pretty decent. The other 3 I played didn't.

This is the key.

Much harder to do with a buy by mail SX, although you can return it.

• Members

Nothing is a waste if it sounds good and feels good.

You'll know when you find the bass. It'll whisper sweet nothings in your ear. Telling you everything will be cool with me in your hands. I am your one and only, your one true love.....

...then you'll get the urge to wander a bit. Look at different avenues....and before you know it youre cheating on your bass at every music store on every corner. It happens to all of us.

so the moral of the story is, if youre not 100% on which bass you really want or which bass you should get, then just get the one that will sound the best to you with what money you are willing to spend. Chances are and the chance is high that it wont be your last bass.

have fun

Archived