Avalon U5

Kiwiburger

• Members

Anyone like the Avalon U5 as a DI box? I have ditched my Bass Pod Pro for a Sansamp BDDI and an MXR M80. I favour clean bass sounds for recording (I can dirty them up later). I also have a JoeMeek twin - some people like Joe Meek for bass, but I prefer the 'ampy' character of the Sansamp or MXR.

I've heard good things about the Avalon U5, but i'm wondering if it is significantly better for recording?

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

Anyone like the Avalon U5 as a DI box? I have ditched my Bass Pod Pro for a Sansamp BDDI and an MXR M80. I favour clean bass sounds for recording (I can dirty them up later). I also have a JoeMeek twin - some people like Joe Meek for bass, but I prefer the 'ampy' character of the Sansamp or MXR.

I've heard good things about the Avalon U5, but i'm wondering if it is significantly better for recording?

what language is this?:confused:

• Members

what language is this?

erm ... bass?

It may be a surprise to learn that most of the bass tone you hear on records has nothing to do with a bass amp or speaker or microphone. And in some cases, the bass tones you hear on the record may in fact have nothing to do with the 'bass player' of the band.

Many famous session bass players go DI most of the time, and DI boxes such as the Avalon U5 and the Sansamp Bass Driver are often used.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

Any of them available for sale? I like what i've heard of the Ampeg SVT preamp, but I don't think it exists new anymore? Or are there better?

Sure - the Eclair Engineering Evil Twin is hands down my favorite bass DI. I also wish I'd never sold my old Demeter pre with the +4 mod, and the single rack space Demeter is supposed to be the same circuitry (I don't know that for sure, though). I don't find EQ to be a necessity on a DI, and so for a rack mount, the Great River NV-1 would be slammin' (though it's a mic pre with a DI on it and is quite a bit more expensive. For more flavor, add the rack mounted Great River EQ), and for pretty straight up bass sounds, the A Designs REDDI is very nice - though unlike the Evil Twin and the U5, needs to be plugged into a preamp rather than straight to tape. I also had fun playing with the Valvtronics DI (for the EQ) and the Littlelabs DI (which also needs a pre, as its output level is a bit too low to use without some more gain).

As a matter of general information, DI boxes that put out a substantial line level aren't the usual thing; as typically designed, they put out a mic level (or thereabouts) rather than line level. But for ease and convenience in the studio, it's nice to be able to give the engineer a +4 line that can go straight to tape with no added manipulation by the engineer.

• Members

Thanks. I like the concept of being able to connect the U5 direct to my Lucid converters. The Sansamp and MXR are Mic level, so they need to go through a preamp (currently using the Joe Meek).

I've been thinking about a Great River too - maybe that's what I should get, since I need a great mic preamp anyway.

Anyone else prefer a Great River over a U5?

• Members

The Avalon U5 is an absolute top of the line direct box that is often used in direct recording of bass guitar.

On the other hand, I have a Great River and it absolutely rocks for bass guitar! The tone and clarity is amazing. Nice thing is that the Great River is a microphone preamplifier designed by reference to one of the legendary Rupert Neve preamps. You can use it to record almost anything.

Neither of these use tubes. I also have the Groove Tube DITTO direct box, which is a tube direct box. I get a lot of complements on that direct box for bass.

These DI's are all mucho dinero and unless you're recording a lot the money may be better spent on good wood. After all, a good direct box can't make sh!t sound good.

These preamps are generally a big step up over bass pod or sansamp. What really matters though is whether what you record sounds good and you might get some great sounds with less expensive preamps or DI's with a good bass and a bit of eq.

• Members

I'm looking for the best bass tone possible - it has to stand up against the classic bass recordings of all time.

The need for good wood and good strings is understood. In fact - one appeal of the U5 is that it has a headphone amp, and would be an ideal unit to take to shops when auditioning bass guitars.

Currently I have a Warwick Thumb bolt on, which is probably going down the road because I much prefer my new Highway Fender P Bass. I have an SX Jazz, which weighs a ton but has no dead spots. It's used for cruel and unusual experiments involving pickups and strings.

The Great River is very tempting - but so is the U5. Any other thoughts?

I've ruled out tube gear - twice the price, and twice the problems. I think the Sansamp it tubey enough, and I have good plugins if I want to distress the sound. So quality solid state is what i'm looking for ...

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

Everything I have recorded in the past four or five years has been through an Avalon. Very clean, precise.

And I've heard his recordings....very clean and precise. :D

I have the SVT pre you are refering to, sounds just like an ampeg. :D

• Members

As pointed out earlier in this thread, a Great River is probably more versatile than the Avalon U5 since it can also be used as a mic pre. So, you could also use it with a good mic for tracking your bass or for recording other tracks.

One noticeable thing with the GR that you can really hear with good DI's and pre's is the clarity. The tone seems more focused so it seems to fit nicer in the overall mix without cluttering up the mix. Or having to eq tracks as much so you can hear everything distinctly.

• Members

I suggest you look into one of these;

TD-100-productimage.jpg

Summit Audio TD-100 - Preamp and tube DI. It even has a headphone out.

I like the Avalon but I like the Summit better. It has variable impedence so you can get the best out of your bass, and some pretty cool sonic effects if you goose it well off the spec of your instrument.

It's a $500 or less box.

EDIT; Link

Archived