Undertoad

• Members

Originally posted by KeroseneTrewthe

I forgot to add this
:D
to the thread.

Sorry.
:p

Ya know what? No... I think you're right. Great idea. Better yet... let's start making basses by tying the neck to the body with 100lb fishing line.

We'll call 'em.... "No Bolt Basses"

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

Ya know what? No... I think you're right. Great idea. Better yet... let's start making basses by tying the neck to the body with 100lb fishing line.

We'll call 'em.... "No Bolt Basses"

Or just glue 'em on! We'll call 'em "Set Neck Basses"!

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

Oh... and by the way... I think they do sound like crap. If it metal was such a great material for make musical instruments... then how come there aren't more like it?

I haven't seen many wooden trumpets, trombones or cymbals lately.

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

I haven't seen many wooden trumpets, trombones or cymbals lately.

The two metals in question are aluminum and steel... not Brass. Besides that, brass instruments have very little resonance to them. The sound you are hearing is a combination of air, the sound of the players lips, and soundwave manipulation trough a sealed tunnel system. It's not the instrument itself. The main purpose of the brass is to amplify the sound.

Cymbals are a different story... but more easily prove my point. Hit a cymbal and see where it resonates. Doesn't quite sound like 100Hz to me. More like 10,000Hz.

The resonant frequency of a particular material is going to decide how useful it will be it specific instrumental applications. Wood is great for reflecting tone. And different densities of wood reflect tone differently. Why do you think denser woods tend to make a bass sound more bright? Because they resonate at higher frequencies.

And because wood resonates at lower frequencies, they actually deaden the acoustical volume to a degree. Like I mentioned about brass. It doesn't vibrate at lower frequencies so the soundwaves are not absorbed into the brass. The brass is used in an acoustic echo tunnel to amplify the sound.

• Members

I was reading in some guitar book that their theory was to cram the neck and body as close as possible to each other so they both resonate as much as possible. But it was pretty quiet and they couldn't figure out why. Then some guy separated the neck from the body a little bit and it was much louder. I guess they figured out that the wood of the neck and the wood of the body resonated differently and when they could resonate on their own more resonation happend. When they were crammed together the resonations were like they were out of phase, cancelling some resonance.

Technical I know, but I remember reading it somewhere. History of Fender electrics or something...who knows.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

I was reading in some guitar book that their theory was to cram the neck and body as close as possible to each other so they both resonate as much as possible. But it was pretty quiet and they couldn't figure out why. Then some guy separated the neck from the body a little bit and it was much louder. I guess they figured out that the wood of the neck and the wood of the body resonated differently and when they could resonate on their own more resonation happend. When they were crammed together the resonations were like they were out of phase, cancelling some resonance.

Technical I know, but I remember reading it somewhere. History of Fender electrics or something...who knows.

Yo.

Actually... that's interesting information. And would make a lot of sense. Especially if the neck and body are made of two different species of wood. They will resonate differently.

Although the theory might hold some truth. But I suppose the ideal situation would be to have a neck and body made, not only from the same type of wood, but from the SAME PIECE of wood.

• Members

Originally posted by KeroseneTrewthe

Hmmm..might put too much pressure on your left shoulder....

What a tick...

Ya know those plastic buckles that they have on nylon straps (such as on sport bags, etc.)?? What if we could do that with bass guitar neck?

Hmmmmmm...

We could call it, "The Buckle Bass". And it can fit almost anywhere!! Think of the possibilities!

Although... it would kind of suck having to tune it up all the time. But I suppose you wouldn't have to un-buckle it all the time.

• Members

I don't know of anyone who has noticed some deficiency in their bass resonance or tone and said..."Hmm, if only I had another screw holding my neck on, this would sound way better".

Mechanically, I think more is better, if done properly....probably more of a durability issue.

Archived