So, i set myself up with an awesome sound system for $28 Canadian

bikehorn

• Members

last year i was randomly surfing eBay when i came across an old stereo receiever, a Superscope(by Marantz) R-1270. it struck me because my parents had one for the longest time...they bought theirs in 1978, the last year it was produced. they junked it some time in the mid 90's after it magically stopped producing sound(probably fixable, sadly tossed).

so i won the auction for $21 shipped and it arrived at my house a little beat up(Jesus loves UPS) and sat on a shelf for about 8 months. i had planned to build a ghetto pair of transmission line speakers to use with it but never got around to it. finally yesterday i decided enough was enough and i needed a sound system for my dorm room at university, for which i'm leaving on the 5th of september. i went to a thrift store and came out with a huge old pair of speakers likely from the early or mid 70's. twin alnico 6" speakers and what looks like a cone tweeter. they're very mysterious...no brand, no label on the back, no label on the back of the actual speaker drivers. in fact, the only way to know which of the screw terminals is positive is a "+" drawn on the back with a sharpie. they have that classic brown grillecloth. i walked away with them for $7, no tax.

i took them home and cleaned them up, then wired them up in my basement just to see if they made noise, and i'd have been happy if they did just that...well, they one upped me, no, ten upped me because they sound amazing! smokes my Panasonic home theatre, as a matter of fact. with audio supplied by my iBook, i was shaking the basement, all 35 watts per channel. i need a turntable, but right now it wouldn't be practical to take a turntable to my residence anyway.

anyway, the setup sounds really warm, plenty of balls in the midrange and beefy low end, as proven when i played Led Zep's "When The Levee Breaks" the first time(ironic given New Orleans' condition...). damn! i'm never going back to newer audio equipment!

IMGP0318.jpg

IMGP0319.jpg

IMGP0317.jpg

• Members

Nice score! I have an old Yamaha receiver from the 70's that is only 15 watts per channel pumped through an old set of 8" Advent bookshelf speakers , it kicks ass!! The foam surrounds on the speakers fell apart, but I replaced them and they are as good as new!:D

• Members

my dad had a rig similar to that, with an early-80's casette deck (he was in hong kong and bought all kinds of electronics) that he picked up in hong kong, with some big 8" driver + folded horn tweeter speakers, beige grillecloth and a pioneer phonograph. the thing was amazing, except the tape deck started playing slow with its age-- then some stupid bastards broke into his house and stole the speakers, receiver and tape deck, leaving the pioneer (which I have and use all the time.)

nice score, though. definitely.

• Members

A lot of those old silver-faced receivers were real beasts. They were rated honestly too, which is something that the consumer home audio industry hasn't done for ages. Congratulations on your score!

Archived