OT: Mayor of New Orleans lashes out at feds (MP3)

Phantasm

• Members

His city? It was his city last Friday, when he didn't order an evacuation.

It was his city that didn't use city or school buses to help get people out.

It was his city that had no actual plan to evacuate an area that, sooner or later, everybody knew would need one.

His "name-dropping" is nothing more than trying to shift blame to other people. The fact is, he is the elected leader of this city, and when leadership was needed (before they got hit), he couldn't provide it.

• Members

Originally posted by thelurker

His city? It was his city last Friday, when he didn't order an evacuation.

It was his city that had no actual plan to evacuate an area that, sooner or later, everybody knew would need one.

His "name-dropping" is nothing more than trying to shift blame to other people. The fact is, he is the elected leader of this city, and when leadership was needed (before they got hit), he couldn't provide it.

Uh... they did order an evacuation. Just sayin'.

Although I do agree to an extent about attempting to use city resources to get people out; seems like more could've been done there for those who had no alternative.

• Members

Did you listen to the clip? He talks about the city and school buses and how they were nowhere near enough. How the people who are suggesting that haven't been there and seen the scale of the problem and don't understand why that isn't enough.

IMHO, he has a fair point about the fact that he isn't authorised to do anything right now. Why not? Why does it all have to go through higher authorities? As he points out, noone required that after 9/11.

• Members

They ordered the evacuation on Sunday. They gave no plan, had no directions for what areas should use what roads, and did it 48 hours later than they could have.

Time was the single most important thing in a safe evacuation. The roads would not have been jammed right away, more people would have left when they were told, busses could have made more than one trip in & out to get people to safety.

No mayor wants to "jump the gun" and evacuate when there is no a chance the disaster could be avoided, but this threat was looming on Thursday, and there was not one news source or weather source talking about any last minute "possible safe way out" for NOLA. In fact, they were all convinced that the storm would be category 5 when it hit. The people there were damn lucky it wasn't. The deaths and devastation would be even worse!

• Members

The same guy who "excused" the shootings at the rescue efforts because the druggies can't get a fix and have to take the edge off their jones?

The same guy who demanded every Greyhound bus in the country?

The same guy who "excused" the shootings at hospital evacuation efforts because the shooters are wanting to steal the hospital drugs?

Larry (the other cable guy) was funnier. :rolleyes:

This is a serious situation and making irrational accusations don't help - except maybe at the reelection polls. I see this as noting more than getting attention. It isn't helping the people who need it.

Question: What has the mayor of NO done to stop the shooting at rescue workers and hospital evacuees? Go on t.v. and scream at the federal govt? Did it help?

• Members

Why wasn't the city evacuated, Mr Mayor? The city of New Orleans lies on a flood plane, 80% of it lies below sea level...you knew that Mr Mayor. The only thing keeping the sea and lake Pontchartrain out of New Orleans was a system of earthen levees, a system of levees that has been a topic of concern and discussion for decades...and you knew that too Mr Mayor. You also knew that the levees were designed to withstand a category 3 hurricane and the entire city might be lost should the levees be breached. Katrina was a category 4 hurricane and you knew that too Mr Mayor. So if we're going to start pointing fingers and demanding answers, with a category 4 hurricane bearing down on you, why did you not get your people out?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Melanie

Did you listen to the clip? He talks about the city and school buses and how they were nowhere near enough. How the people who are suggesting that haven't been there and seen the scale of the problem and don't understand why that isn't enough.

IMHO, he has a fair point about the fact that
he isn't authorised to do anything right now
. Why not? Why does it all have to go through higher authorities? As he points out, noone required that after 9/11.

Mel, I took one look at the radar plot on Friday, and then looked at the news, and couldn't believe the entire coast wasn't evacuated. By Saturday it was a 175mph storm....that's equivalent to a tornado that lasts hours instead of minutes. You don't see something like this bearing down on your city which is 15 feet below sea level and NOT order a mandatory evacuation.

At any rate, as a leader, he is stupid for badmouthing anyone. His job now is to lead his city. We civilians can badmouth, and we can question why the response is so slow. He can question later. But not now. Now is time for him to do what he was elected to do.

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

The same guy who "excused" the shootings at the rescue efforts because the druggies can't get a fix and have to take the edge off their jones?

The same guy who demanded every Greyhound bus in the country?

The same guy who "excused" the shootings at hospital evacuation efforts because the shooters are wanting to steal the hospital drugs?

Larry (the other cable guy) was funnier.
:rolleyes:

This is a serious situation and making irrational accusations don't help - except maybe at the reelection polls. I see this as noting more than getting attention. It isn't helping the people who need it.

Question: What has the mayor of NO done to stop the shooting at rescue workers and hospital evacuees? Go on t.v. and scream at the federal govt? Did it help?

I'm not saying that the mayor doesn't deserve some blame for this, but you're charactization of what he said is totally offbase. I don't think he ever attempted to "excuse" the behavior of dryg-addicted criminals, he was just explaining how dangerous the situation was due to the fact that there were crazy, armed drug addicts on the loose looking for a fix. That's not an excuse, that's just a description of events.

Also, he did try to do somehting about the violence in the city besides "go on t.v.". In the interview he says he reallocated his limited personnel to focus on crime prevention instead of rescur operations--a decision that I'm sure was a tough and heert-breaking one to have to make.

There's plenty of blame to go around--but it's now over 4 days later and there are still people trapped and dieing. Frankly, I think FEMA SHOULD do something drastic like commandeer every greyhound bus in the country. Thousands of people are starving and dehydrating to death.

• Members

Originally posted by Smorgasboy

I'm not saying that the mayor doesn't deserve some blame for this, but you're charactization of what he said is totally offbase. I don't think he ever attempted to "excuse" the behavior of dryg-addicted criminals.

He certainly was "brushing aside" any serious questions about these problems. He waved them off and went to the next question, much like any deft politician. No solutions, no fixes, much ado about nothing.

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

Counter-question: What is he actually able to do in this situation?

• Members

That was astounding, I don't believe I have ever heard anything like this. The interviewers getting choked up at the end really got to me. I have the same feelings of uselessness and helplessness.

Regardless of what *could* have been done and who might have dropped the proverbial ball, Nagin is right; do something and do it now! I never heard of this guy before but I like the way he talks, doesnt sound at all like a politician.

I also liked the "No more press conferences" bit... I wonder what will happen if he meets up with J. Jackson down there...this guy sounds like he is at the end of his rope and may just snap.

:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Reverend179

Because the man I would want to control the military if I were one of the people trapped in NOLA is a MAYOR. Yeah. Riiight.

It doesnt sound to me like he is looking to control the military, just have the authorty or means to actually GET things moving, and get past all of this ridiculous red tape.

• Members

capt.flpc21109012015.hurricane_katrina_f

An aerial view of flooded school buses in a lot, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2005, in New Orleans, LA. The flood is a result of Hurricane Katrina that passed through the area last Monday.(AP Photo/Phil Coale)

Link

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

It doesnt sound to me like he is looking to control the military, just have the authorty or means to actually GET things moving, and get past all of this ridiculous red tape.

Well, I'm sorry, but you also have to admit that the emergency services and the higher ups are in a {censored}ing sticky situation. FEMA staffers are getting shot at. Okay, so the standard response is to bring in the Guard, right? Well, what happens when they shoot one of these people? The Guard isn't going to be blamed, the people who commanded them there and caused 'the massacre of innocents just trying to survive' will be. Then the race card will be played, and the whole thing will go to {censored}. If I were in charge I'd do the same thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Reverend179

Well, I'm sorry, but you also have to admit that the emergency services and the higher ups are in a {censored}ing sticky situation. FEMA staffers are getting shot at. Okay, so the standard response is to bring in the Guard, right? Well, what happens when they shoot one of these people? The Guard isn't going to be blamed, the people who commanded them there and caused 'the massacre of innocents just trying to survive' will be. Then the race card will be played, and the whole thing will go to {censored}. If I were in charge I'd do the same thing.

Yea, if nothing else I am sure we can all agree on one thing:

This situation is FUBAR

:(

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

Yea, if nothing else I am sure we can all agree on one thing:

This situation is FUBAR

:(

Pretty much, yeah. Personally, I would not blame a single person if they brought the guard in and SHOT every single person that is being hostile. The loud minority is killing hundreds as we speak, just because we can't get water to them.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

capt.flpc21109012015.hurricane_katrina_f
An aerial view of flooded school buses in a lot, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2005, in New Orleans, LA. The flood is a result of Hurricane Katrina that passed through the area last Monday.(AP Photo/Phil Coale)

Link

Right there, one trip, 5000 people out of the city. WTF were they doing?

Archived