Cheap upright vs. great acoustic bass guitar

The Unknown

• Members

This is my question right now... For the price of a really cheap upright, I'd get a micheal Kelly... for the price of an half decent upright, I'd get a Martin or a Tacoma... I can play acoustic bass, I'd have to learn upright... But damn, I like the sound and the feel of those big dog houses...

Gotta make a decision while I'm pilling up cash... Any usefull inputs my friends ?

My goals or more or less personnal fun and jammin'

• Members

Originally posted by GrooveMonkey

I just bought a cheap Chinese URB and I'm loving it! But, after $750 for the bass, new strings $140, and adding adjusters to the bridge/setup costs $150, you could buy an Engleheart or a Christopher for a little more and have a better bass.

My $0.02...

I could get a cheap chinese URB with an adjustable bridge (and an acceptable setup) for around 750$ myself (I saw one at a store, played nice) but the question is : will it last ?

• Members

Originally posted by The Unknown

I could get a cheap chinese URB with an adjustable bridge (and an acceptable setup) for around 750$ myself (I saw one at a store, played nice) but the question is : will it last ?

Schools but these and they take a beating. Also, I saw a standup in a music store that they rent out and the bass was totally beat but still played. Didn't have much bloom, though.

• Members

It really depends on what you're looking for...

No ABG is ever going to have the low end thump of an upright, no matter what the quality of it is. It can sound better in the registers that it is in, but they don't have the body size to reproduce those low frequencies properly. It doesn't mean they can't sound good, but that is a subjective thing.

It also depends on what you mean by cheap upright. If you mean Cremona or the like, I'd stay away from those. They play and sound pretty bad IME. For maybe 500 or 1000 more you could get a good sturdy plywood bass like a Strunal or Engelhardt or even a used Kay. If set up properly, one of those is much better than any ABG sound-wise, IMO. I would be leery of any upright that cost less than 1000, used or not.

Is portability a factor? If it is, get the ABG. No comparison there, obviously. ;) I would go for the upright only if you are completely sold on the sound and have the cash to plunk down on at least a couple of lessons to get the basic technique. If you're looking for something acoustic-sounding that you can bring everywhere, go for the ABG.

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash Jazz

It really depends on what you're looking for...

No ABG is ever going to have the low end thump of an upright, no matter what the quality of it is. It can sound better in the registers that it is in, but they don't have the body size to reproduce those low frequencies properly. It doesn't mean they can't sound good, but that is a subjective thing.

It also depends on what you mean by cheap upright. If you mean Cremona or the like, I'd stay away from those. They play and sound pretty bad IME. For maybe 500 or 1000 more you could get a good sturdy plywood bass like a Strunal or Engelhardt or even a used Kay. If set up properly, one of those is much better than any ABG sound-wise, IMO. I would be leery of any upright that cost less than 1000, used or not.

Is portability a factor? If it is, get the ABG. No comparison there, obviously.
;)
I would go for the upright only if you are completely sold on the sound and have the cash to plunk down on at least a couple of lessons to get the basic technique. If you're looking for something acoustic-sounding that you can bring everywhere, go for the ABG.

Hey Thrash you know that Violin maker on Bronson (I think but it has been a while but it has been 8 years since I was there) his name is Peter....some thing long. Anyways i bet you have seen it 100 times. He always had nice used Kay Uprights around $1000-$1200 ...just popped into my head

GO SENS!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by PrestiaRules

Hey Thrash you know that Violin maker on Bronson (I think but it has been a while but it has been 8 years since I was there) his name is Peter....some thing long. Anyways i bet you have seen it 100 times. He always had nice used Kay Uprights around $1000-$1200 ...just popped into my head

GO SENS!!!!

That would be Peter Dawson's Fiddle Factory. I used to rent my URB from there - it was a Boheme or a Strunal, I can't recall. They didn't have any Kays there at the time, but I haven't been there in two or three years... best place to try first in Ottawa though.

GO LEAFS!!! :mad:;)

• Members

Originally posted by Thrash Jazz

That would be Peter Dawson's Fiddle Factory. I used to rent my URB from there - it was a Boheme or a Strunal, I can't recall. They didn't have any Kays there at the time, but I haven't been there in two or three years... best place to try first in Ottawa though.

GO LEAFS!!!
:mad:;)

By any chance, would that Peter have a website or e-mail adress ?

F%$K LEAFS !!! GO HABS GO !!!!!!!

• Members

There isn't an acoustic bass guitar made by anyone that has a soundboard anywhere near as big as the soundboard on an upright. If you are going to be playing real unplugged gigs get the upright. Though I agree with the others that a little more saving to get a better instrument will go a long way.

• Members

For good acoustic bass sound, I choose my upright over my acoustic bass guitar any day. (I have a good upright, and my acoustic bass guitar is a washburn AB-10 *cough*not-so-great*cough*)

However, I have played the Tacoma ThunderChief acoustic basses and they are pretty nice as far as ABGs go.

...my 2 cents worth.

• Members

I love the sound of an acoustic bass guitar, but I also love the sound of mandolin.

The instrument I WANTED was an upright.

If you want an upright .. save up and get one.

If you want acoustic bass geerat ..then get one of those.

Dont {censored} around with something you dont want.

Be sensible with thy pennies and thy penis.

:eek:

Archived