Value of Japanese Jazz bass

johng

• Members

I looked at a Fender Jazz Bass today that was 'Made in Japan' .Very narrow nut and the pickups have been replaced with EMG's. Black with red pearl pick guard, maple neck. Nice shape, probably 80%, with a hard case. I have no idea as to the value of a Japanese Fender. The guy's asking $200 so would this be a good deal?

TIA,John.......

• Members

Thanks for the reply. I just looked around ebay and found one that looks similar. Item number 7357525795 . The one I looked at was not so pretty but the the offset waist and the chrome three knob control panel are the same. It 'looks' at least 20 years old but it's hard to tell any more. The neck varnish was nice and yellow.

John........

• Members

Can anyone tell by the graphics on the headstock the age of this one? Sounds nice and plays as nice as I'm able. Strange thing is that yesterday I would have bet that this thing had a maple fretboard but as you can see I'd have lost that bet. The guy knocked 10% off the price and it had a nice non original case.

Yippy, John..........:D

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

MIJ's are *way* overrated, I'd stay away from it if I were you. Send me the seller's contact info and I'll set him straight.
:D

and check out the shipping to the uk...i can check it out for you before i throw it away..

imag017614pn.jpg

imag01774tr.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Members

I have had a Japanese made Fender MB5 for several years and LOVE it. Just bought a 2nd MB5 on eBay for a fretless project.

I paid about $275 for the first one and $120 for the second. The second is pretty beat up but it does have active EMG pickups installed.

The MB5 is a great bass, but not popular, so you can often find a good used one for a steal.

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

MIJ's are *way* overrated, I'd stay away from it if I were you. Send me the seller's contact info and I'll set him straight.

Um, yes...This is what I meant, not the stuff about that being a good deal...But I'll take care of the "setting straight", no need to burden Emprov...

• Members

Alright. It's tucked nicely away at my place. I had already bought it by the time the pics were taken. It sounds pretty cool through my old 6V6 Bass Mate combo but I may have to look for a real rig.

Thanks for all the help, John........

• Members

Forgot to mention that it's a '86. Thanks mrcrow for the link. The only real issue I see with it is that the tone control shaft is a little bent and then all the little nicks and stratches you get after 20 years.

• Members

Originally posted by johng

Can anyone tell by the graphics on the headstock the age of this one? Sounds nice and plays as nice as I'm able. Strange thing is that yesterday I would have bet that this thing had a maple fretboard but as you can see I'd have lost that bet. The guy knocked 10% off the price and it had a nice non original case.

Yippy, John..........

That headstock graphic is used on the JB-45, the base level Japanese Fender Jazz (no pun intended.) It 's a basswood body and so-so pickups (likely why they were changed out.) There are two levels above it, the JB62-58 (basswood & Japanese PUs,) and the JB62-75US (alder & US Fender Vintage PUs.) Here's a pic my JB62-75US headstock.

JB62-75US headstock

The JB-45s were supposed to be sold in Japan only, but so many of them were shipped out Fender ceased production of them last year. (Along with its Precision counterpart, the PB-43.)

The different levels of Japanese Fenders produced lead to a lot of confusion, with people reading glowing reviews of the high-end ones and then coming across a basic one and wondering what all the fuss is about.

But even on the base level MIJ Fenders, the necks are great.

• Members

Originally posted by bruto

That headstock graphic is used on the JB-45, the base level Japanese Fender Jazz (no pun intended.) It 's a basswood body and so-so pickups (likely why they were changed out.) There are two levels above it, the JB62-58 (basswood & Japanese PUs,) and the JB62-75US (alder & US Fender Vintage PUs.) Here's a pic my JB62-75US headstock.

The JB-45s were supposed to be sold in Japan only, but so many of them were shipped out Fender ceased production of them last year. (Along with its Precision counterpart, the PB-43.)

The different levels of Japanese Fenders produced lead to a lot of confusion, with people reading glowing reviews of the high-end ones and then coming across a basic one and wondering what all the fuss is about.

But even on the base level MIJ Fenders, the necks are great.

You're describing current models, none of that info applies before 1997/8...

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

You're describing current models, none of that info applies before 1997/8...

Because that headstock decal is the one used on the JB-45 (or its pre-'97 predecessor.) I've never seen it on anything else.

• Members

Originally posted by bruto

Because that headstock decal is the one used on the JB-45 (or its pre-'97 predecessor.) I've never seen it on anything else.

Correct, since all other models emulate specific historical models and thus have logos appropriate to the era...

However, I didn't say you were wrong to say that logo is from the JB-45, but rather that all the model info you provided is for the current instruments...There was no direct predecessor to most of the current models, as Fender Japan used to be more meticulous regarding specifications...

To assume that the current specs reflect the specs from 20 years ago is to assume incorrectly...That is what I wanted to point out...

Archived