If YOU had to choose.......

Jerome Howard

• Members

Originally posted by Jerome Howard

I've played a SRX300, and it seemed a little cheesy, but sounded great.

How much better is the SRX700?

i can't really compare, as i've never played the 300, but the 700 is neck-through (which some people swear by, and some could care less about), the hardware is pretty top notch, the electronics are pretty good as well. fit and finish were beyond excellent. my only ONLY complaint about my 700 was the fact that it was heavy...nearly T-40 heavy in fact. other than that, it was an awesome bass.

• Members
Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Of those listed, Fender Geddy Lee. My reasoning:

It already has a better bridge, pickups, and I think finish than the Highway 1 Fender at about the same price.

It isn't a P/J. In most P/Js, you end up getting lots of P and the J does nothing, and you won't get as smooth a tone as a standard J.

The Ibanez and the other Fender are both very nice, but both are active basses. Although active basses DO sound nice, many are somewhat fussy on settings. I prefer passive for everyday playing, and to new players. If nothing else, you won't have to change a battery every other month or so.

The Geddy Lee has a very thin neck. Make sure it isn't uncomfortable first, before buying.

If you have a Cort dealer nearby, also check out the GB99. Its a Jazz bass, with many features comparable or superior to the Geddy Lee. The pickups are not the best but otherwise it should be as good as or better than the Geddy in many respects. Its also passive. Most other Corts in that price are active.

If money really becomes an issue, you can try
www.rondomusic.net
for some cheap, well-made gear.

+2 ....this is (IMHO) great advice....The Geddy is a good solid bass ready to go at a good price...you will not be regret it...like SBB said...good bridge, good pickups and I agree much better finish that the Highway 1

if you want to save some $$ follow the Rondo link and get a P or J from SX....

Cort makes some super instruments and the value is tops...

• Members

Originally posted by Jerome Howard

By telling me WHY, I might learn something.

I've never trusted Fender's QC for starters. That and I've yet to play a Fender I like.

There's a few other forumites that can delve into things more but that's my I'm-tired-and-haven't-had-coffee-yet list.

• Members

Originally posted by Gruven

I'd choose an ash bodied, Mexi standard Jazz and put Duncan pickups in it. Costs about the same and, IMO, will sound better.

there are ash bodied mexi Jazz basses?? I have only seen Alder even on special issues recently...except for the Agathis models they made a few years back....

I wish fender did offer Ash bodies or maple fretboards on their MIM Ps and Js.....

However you could find a good MIJ Fender on ebay or similar...those are sweet and you can find maple fretboards and possible ash bodies....but that Geddy is a nice MIJ Jazz...

• Members

Originally posted by tenyearsgone

I would personally sit on the cash and save up for something better. You can get some higher end quality basses used for the same price as something not-so-great new.

I wouldn't pick any of those, but if I HAD to pick one it would be the Geddy Lee.

for a beginner? I think he is aiming at some very nice gear for his stated level...anything more expensive could be a waste if bass turns out to not be his thing....

others to consider would be MTD Kingston, G&L Tribute SB2

• Members

Originally posted by PrestiaRules

for a beginner? I think he is aiming at some very nice gear for his stated level...anything more expensive could be a waste if bass turns out to not be his thing....

others to consider would be MTD Kingston, G&L Tribute SB2

My bad, I wasn't thinking of the beginner part.

The Geddy Lee.

• Members

OK guys....after trying out a Geddy Lee, an Aerodyne, a Deluxe Active Jazz, and a bunch of other basses, I chose the.....

*IBANEZ SRX700*

I also had a guy play them, who is pretty good, and he played a bunch of styles for me to listen to.

It just plain sounded better to me, and was able to get just about ANY sound I wanted. Bottom end is superb and it can also do a lot of treble. It can sound like a Rock bass, OR a Jazz bass. It can "slap".

The body is Swamp Ash and it has a thru neck. I can pluck a string without it being plugged in, and the body resonates for quite some time. Plugged in, the sustain is such that I can go take a leak, and come back, and its still going.....It is a little heavy, but not bad.

Made in Korea, the quality control was excellent, and I can't find a flaw on it, or anything not to like.

The active EQ gives me a LOT of sound options. The Fender Active did too, but the SRX700 had it for LUNCH! It just plain sounded superior.

The neck feels great, and the action was set up perfectly.

Bottom line......it flat out beat the others, head to head.

• Members

Originally posted by PrestiaRules

I wish fender did offer Ash bodies or maple fretboards on their MIM Ps and Js.....

Just looked at one in my local GC last week. Same price as all the others. It has a rosewood board. They wanted (I think) $439 for it. I'm sure you'll be able to find one somewhere.

I hate it when people do that. I have no reason to bull{censored} anyone. :mad:

• Members

OK guys....after trying out a Geddy Lee, an Aerodyne, a Deluxe Active Jazz, and a bunch of other basses, I chose the.....

*IBANEZ SRX700*

I also had a guy play them, who is pretty good, and he played a bunch of styles for me to listen to.

It just plain sounded better to me, and was able to get just about ANY sound I wanted. Bottom end is superb and it can also do a lot of treble. It can sound like a Rock bass, OR a Jazz bass. It can "slap".

The body is Swamp Ash and it has a thru neck. I can pluck a string without it being plugged in, and the body resonates for quite some time. Plugged in, the sustain is such that I can go take a leak, and come back, and its still going.....It is a little heavy, but not bad.

Made in Korea, the quality control was excellent, and I can't find a flaw on it, or anything not to like.

The active EQ gives me a LOT of sound options. The Fender Active did too, but the SRX700 had it for LUNCH! It just plain sounded superior.

The neck feels great, and the action was set up perfectly.

Bottom line......it flat out beat the others, head to head.

• Members

The Ibanez. Fender hasnt advanced their necks, tuners, bridges, or pups enough since the 70's to interest me. With but few exceptions those things are stuff I'd replace on most of todays fenders same as back then, to bring it up to speed. The Ibanez allready has very good neck, tuners, bridge, & pups. No upgrades needed. Whereas a full hardware and pup upgrade, would be desired with most all fenders of today if I was to get one and want it perform as I'd want a bass too. Prefers 24 fret basses also. Something fender doesnt really do.

• Members
Originally posted by Gruven

Just looked at one in my local GC last week. Same price as all the others. It has a rosewood board. They wanted (I think) $439 for it. I'm sure you'll be able to find one somewhere.

I hate it when people do that. I have no reason to bull{censored} anyone.
:mad:

did you miss the part where I asked you?

there are ash bodied mexi Jazz basses?? I have only seen Alder even on special issues recently...except for the Agathis models they made a few years back....

why would anyone have reason to bull{censored}....I had never seen an ash bodied MIM bass before, can't find one on www.fender.com and was asking for confirmation....

relax man...:rolleyes:

Archived