As much as I don't want to give Fender my $...

Caroway

• Members

If Fender could improve it's QC dept. this bass would be the best bang for your buck. They just sound so damn good it's a shame that "crapshootivity" plays a major factor with Fender.

BTW...for the first time ever I'm ordering a Fender instead of trying it out first, it will be a '62RI....the deal I found was just too good to pass up as they are so ridiculously expensive where I live.

Pray for me people.

• Members

Originally posted by Caroway

I've always loved this bass and I want a jazz bass so it just seems natural.

Every bass I have owned has been string thru bridge. Is string thru body better?

Is there a difference?

Strings thru usually means more sustain. I have no experience with a non-strings thru Fender, but my strings thru Fenders sustain about an hour longer than my Stingrays.

I'm very curious...what problems have you guys had with Fender's QC? I'm up to 4 American Fender basses(95 P, 00 P, 03 J, 04/05 J) and I've loved every one of them. What am I missing that you find crappy about them? (I did replace both of the P's pickups with the '62 pickups, but aside from that...)

• Members

Originally posted by JacieFB

I'm very curious...what problems have you guys had with Fender's QC? I'm up to 4 American Fender basses(95 P, 00 P, 03 J, 04/05 J) and I've loved every one of them. What am I missing that you find crappy about them? (I did replace both of the P's pickups with the '62 pickups, but aside from that...)

Many people confuse a poorly set up bass at a shop with a poorly constructed bass from a factory. Also, if you sell a billion more basses than some of your compeditors, you ARE going to have more lemons, just a matter of odds.

• Members

I just received my '62 RI P-Bass from Musician's Friend last week. I ordered it without even trying one out. I just kept reading all of the great reviews this bass got. I used it on a gig for the first time this past weekend and it has been the best investment I've made in my gear so far. The tone cannot be beat and it played great right out of the box, no set up needed. I can see that Fender does put a little more time and care in their American Vintage series basses after playing it.

• Members

For the Fender Jazz it's the necks...frankly I can count on going into a shop and finding maybe 2 out of 6 or 7 J-basses that have what I would call a "serviceable neck" ...this before even deciding whether I even like the sound of the thing...the rest...well...it's off to the archery range.:D

• Members

That's the one thing that kills me about Laklands is they are impossible to find and try. If they were I think that a lot more people would look at them as an alternative to the Fenders...of course there is the issue of the necks. The Laklands have a different neck profile which I for one like better, but if that's not you then you're going to just have to either a) get a Fender or b) suck it up and buy a Lakland (which I believe to be better basses) but that's a "ymmv" type situation.

• Members

Originally posted by KeroseneTrewthe

Nothing wrong with a Fender once you find a good one.

Yeah, i mean if you dont doing quality control for Fender its okay. It doesnt imbue me with the greatist sense confidence, but thats just me.

I play ever instrument before i buy it, but when you've gotta go through 20 or 30 stinkers to find a good bass it seems a bit rediculous. You've gotta do that with Gibson too, thats why i dont buy em.

• Members

speaking as a die-hard fender guy(squire and yammy are good friends of mine too!) I have to say I like their vintage stuff and the RI's a lot better than their current line. Even on my favorite models they make I still need to do a complete setup after getting one home. Out of all the ones I've played in the store, the RI's have yet to show me any factory defects or poor construction. Much as I love fender, I'll always play before I buy unless the only way to get a good deal is mail order.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Many people confuse a poorly set up bass at a shop with a poorly constructed bass from a factory. Also, if you sell a billion more basses than some of your compeditors, you ARE going to have more lemons, just a matter of odds.

Lug is absolutely right...the same line of discussion can be applied to Ampeg as well...

• Members

Originally posted by Thexder

If I'm inexperienced, what can I still do in a store to make sure the quality/setup of a J bass is ok before buying?

I think guality is something you can judge by playing several basses at a time and picking out the one that feels and sounds the best out of the lot.

For a Jazz, the first thing I do in the store is see how the neck feels. If there is a noticeable bow, that's it..{censored} it I can't be bothered and back it goes.

You may be able to straighten it, but you'll probably end up close to maxxing out the truss rod in the process, then you're {censored}ed.

• Members

the problem with jazz necks is more that they twist instead of bow.

I saw one once at Bill's Music in Catonsville MD that looked like a ski slope, right to left at the headstock, and went the other way down by the 19 th fret or so. it was JUNK with a capitol J.

You could have never made that bass play right, and I brought it to the attention of the sales guy. I'm sure he didnt care, but I still did the right thing. it was a late 70's Jazz and highly priced.

my Sx bass has a 20 X better neck than that POS did. It's STRAIGHT with a touch of bow, the way a bass neck should be.

Archived