Tell me about the Peavey Classic 400

1tallbassguy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

oh and I'll bet money it's the black carpet model. Everything I've heard is that they made a LOT more of them than the tweed ones. I think the tweeds were only in the first run.

They used mostly chinese tubes in the later ones... not sure what the older ones used.

If I bought new, I'd pick up 5 real nice 12AX7 and a balanced 12AT7 @ about #10 a pop. Just running the stock power for a while. The 8 KT88 I bought from www.tubedepot.com ran me $200

:thu: can I vote for myself :D

• Members

Peavey put the Chinese 6550 Coke bottle tubes in every Classic 400 that they made. The 12AX7's and 12AT7 are also Chinese made.

I'm glad to see the word finally getting out on this amp. It's greatly under rated and under valued in my opinion. I'm just coming up on 6 years since I bought mine.

I was told earlier this year that one of the major stores in the US had a inventory of new old stock black Classic 400's. When I pressed for more information I was told they weren't for sale (yet).

It surprises me to see that Musician's Friend seems to be "the" store with them. But there could still be another source for the NOS ones I was told about.

TD

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Thornton Davis

Peavey put the Chinese 6550 Coke bottle tubes in every Classic 400 that they made. The 12AX7's and 12AT7 are also Chinese made.

I'm glad to see the word finally getting out on this amp. It's greatly under rated and under valued in my opinion. I'm just coming up on 6 years since I bought mine.

I was told earlier this year that one of the major stores in the US had a inventory of new old stock black Classic 400's. When I pressed for more information I was told they weren't for sale (yet).

It surprises me to see that Musician's Friend seems to be "the" store with them. But there could still be another source for the NOS ones I was told about.

TD

:cool:

Thanks for the info.

I'm glad I had the money to pull the trigger.

Merry Christmas to me!:D

• Members

Originally posted by Thornton Davis

I'm glad to see the word finally getting out on this amp. It's greatly under rated and under valued in my opinion.

Yeah, I know I'm set for life. Thanks again for all the info... I've got a pile of images and text waiting for some free time this winter to get the site built.

• Members

Originally posted by 1tallbassguy

Does the classic 400 run at 2 ohms stable?

I will likely pair it with my XC808 which is 4 ohms, but I also have two 4-ohm 2x10's. My Genz does a great job with them, just curious.

Short answer NO you get 4 or 8

Good news though, I run a pair off 4 ohm Schroeders with mine using a custom "Series" cable that is a big Y. One 1/4" jack at the amp end and a speakon for a Schroeder at the end of each leg.

You get ~435 watt of clean power at either 4 or 8 ohms... this ain't no Solid State stuff :thu:

Actually, I've run it a few times with the pair of 4 ohm cabs in series (8 ohm total load) along with my 8 ohm tweeterless Schroeder Mini 12 :eek:

Talk about Wall of Tone!!!

Here is the place that made my cables.

http://www.procablesnsound.com/

shoot an email to Todd and tell him James sent ya. :cool: (I'm on his links page)

• Members

Originally posted by speddling

How about New at Musician's Friend for $599
:eek:
:cry:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/481340/

dayum!! GAS!! If I was in the US I would nail one of those......frantically searches for Musicians Friend Korea or Canada...gets sad.....jealous..then happy for those who buy one

Archived