Tell me about the Peavey Classic 400

1tallbassguy

• Members

Originally posted by Benjamin

The burning question is: what is the tone like? Anything you want? An SVT will sound like exactly that, and a MESA 400+ sounds, well like a MESA. What is the Peavey Classic 400 sound?

well, I sound much like I always do when playing through this head... but more defined & rich with a nice 3 dimentional sound field. Kinda HiFi... but not in the sterile sense that the term is usually used in bass amp talk, it's more the lush, full, OMG that sounds good kinda sense. It is pretty responsive to input dynamics... and grunts nicely when pushed too.

Keep in mind I have only heard it with Benavente and Valenti basses plugged in AND only ever going through Schroeder cabinets... so I've no clue what it's like with normal gear.

Also, I was barely impressed with a set a loaner chinese power & preamp tubes... it really opened up with the JAN Phillips, Electro-Harmonix & JJ 12AX7 and the matched set of Sovtek KT88 installed and tweeked by my tech

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I found one today at GC. Price is 647. Looked nice. didn't have time to play through it. It is the black one. It is the GC in Oklahoma city. Call them if you are interested. Wish I had the extra cash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Thanks I will.]

Called them up and they said it is gone.:(

• Members

Originally posted by speddling

Man thanks, that looks like a good deal.

I need to hold off a while on it right now unless I cab find one for around $500.

I will be back in the game after Christmas.

I need to save for a down pymnt on a new truck. Two days ago my employer assigned me to a jobsite 60 miles away, and my old Suburban is killing me on gas, plus because of its age, it isn't as dependable as I need.

• Members

Originally posted by tylytle

I just called, It IS still there! Call back and ask for bass guitars. He walked over and made sure for me.

405-810-9191

OK I did call again last night, and the guy (a guitarist) said he could not negotiate the price. This is the same guy that told me it was gone previously.

He also told me he fired it up and it worked great.

Then I talked to a bassist today, and he told me the unit is having service issues. Said it isnt working properly at all.

So I passed.

• Members

Originally posted by speddling

How about New at Musician's Friend for $599
:eek:
:cry:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/481340/

Unbelievable!!

I had some trouble getting it ordered online. For some reason when I clicked the "Complete Order" button, I was directed back to the home and shipping address page.

I called them and placed the order.

Its on the way, and should be here by next weekend.

Thanks for the heads-up!

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by 1tallbassguy

Unbelievable!!

I had some trouble getting it ordered online. For some reason when I clicked the "Complete Order" button, I was directed back to the home and shipping address page.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Clean out your PM box.

• Members

Kick Ass! I know 3 orders for them so far... wish I could swing a second one to pack away and forget about for a while.

Guess I'll have to settle for just the one I have already :D

• Members

Unbelievable!!

Thanks for the heads-up!

What was the shipping charge?

Archived