Let's Help Derek Learn To Play The Blues

Thunderbroom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, so I don't play the {censored}ing blues except on the rare ocassion that someone can convince me to sit in on a song or two... and even then I usually can make it through more than a minute or two before my mind starts wandering and I start getting weird looks due to the weird {censored} I am playing... but here's a quick video.

I had a hard time even doing this without getting bored and made sure to edit the videos before I started wanking too much. My hat is off to those of you who can have a good time playing this stuff.

http://www.hatredalive.com/nicks/blues.wmv

Yeah, it sucks. I flub a few notes and my timing is sketchy in a couple of points... but if you think I am doing more than one take playing this stuff, you're nuts.

Maybe tonight when I get back from band practice I might be ready to make another quick one with some drums, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• Members

Best thing to help me out was the blues scales.

G------------------------
D---------5-7-----------
A-----5-7----7-5-------
E-5-8------------8-5---

thats the lues acale A

play it anywhere on the fretboard

its a blues scaled sounds awsome in most type sof music too

G------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------5-6-7---------
A-------------4----47----7-----------------
E-----5-----5--------------------------------------

bit of a blues riff in the A scale..^^

You can go out of the scales, but only a fret, maybe slide up 2 then back down.

Normally its like...

1st grovbe 4x
2nd grove 1x
1st grove 1x

Chorus

3rd grove x1
2nd groove x1
1st grove x1

And normally basing on the start location it would go like such.

(Lets use it starting in A scale)

A scale x4
D scale x1
A scale x4

chorus

E (on the 7th fret on the a string) scale x1
D scale x1
A scale x1

You just mess around alot with those and blues comes real easily, along with ALOT of other genres.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

Ok, so I don't play the {censored}ing blues except on the rare ocassion that someone can convince me to sit in on a song or two... and even then I usually can make it through more than a minute or two before my mind starts wandering and I start getting weird looks due to the weird {censored} I am playing... but here's a quick video.

I had a hard time even doing this without getting bored and made sure to edit the videos before I started wanking too much. My hat is off to those of you who can have a good time playing this stuff.

Yeah, it sucks. I flub a few notes and my timing is sketchy in a couple of points... but if you think I am doing more than one take playing this stuff, you're nuts.

Maybe tonight when I get back from band practice I might be ready to make another quick one with some drums, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Holy crap I will never be able to play like that.

• Members

Originally posted by DerekDRP

Holy crap I will never be able to play like that.

Nothing complicated in the video, you know. Triads, 8th notes and a typical blues.

You have all the material in this page to play it.

Then it's just a matter of work.

Take your time, don't rush it and don't go to bed until you made it.

Tomorrow you will be feel a bit sleepy but satisfied.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Nothing complicated in the video, you know. Triads, 8th notes and a typical blues.

You have all the material in this page to play it.

Then it's just a matter of work.

Take your time, don't rush it and don't go to bed until you made it.

Tomorrow you will be feel a bit sleepy but satisfied.

Jazz I gotta sleep becuase in the morning I have my lesson, But I will practice this "when i can read tabs that is" And DS thanks again.

Hey guys I hope you can bare with me while i learn it.

• Members

A lot people on this thread have posted their blues thingies 4/4 and major, which I have always associated with boogie rather than blues.

Not that I know anything deeper about blues.

But here's a couple of clips I just recorded for this thread. They're in slow 6/8 and in blues minor. No drums, just bass alone, I didn't even use any kind of metronome so the timing might be way off. All the "exercises" are played twice in these clips.

First a scale I'm using for these clips:
Blues scale A minor

Then a blues thingie I came up with staying in A minor:
Theme in A minor

And finally growing the theme into a full 12 bar riff. I made a couple of dumb mistakes along the way and didn't care to retake, don't be bothered by it:
Moody Johnny's 12-bar blues

• Members
Originally posted by Gruven

Moody Johnny, I like your bass tone a lot. What kind of bass is it?

Tokai passive Jazz Bass with newish roundwounds. Made in Korea (rolling eyes at myself :rolleyes: ), so not exactly boutique equipment, but for the price it's nice. I might have to raise the action a bit. (It's a new acquisition, so I'm still getting familiar with it.)

Archived