Genesis (the band) Appreciation Thread

sheepdog

• Members

Just got their 3CD Boxed set. CD1 had most of the music that people would remember (Invisible Touch and newer for the most part). CD2 and 3 were actually better (IMHO) than CD1 with all their hits on it. Really good music. CD3 has alot of early 70s stuff that sounds very "Pink Floyd/Yes"-esque. Really cool, long songs with lots of instrumental and a little bit of vocal thrown in. I had no idea how cool their music really was. I thought I would be happy with just this, but I now want to go back and get ahold of some of their older albums like "Selling England by the Pound"

a definate must listen at least, must have if you any level of Genesis fan whatsoever.

And Phil Collins rocks on the drums. Very talented!

• Members

The Peter Gabriel era genesis and just after is the stuff worth owning. Lamb lies Down is very different from their other stuff and one of the best concept albums of all time. For a taste of the very old Genesis, I suggest the old Genesis Live album. This takes a bit of getting used to and the recording in marginal, but there is a magic in it once you settle in with it for a while. Think of old english countryside mixed in with prog. :D

• Members

My personal favorite is "A Trick of the Tail", the first album after Gabriel left.

Worked a Gabriel show last year, was surprised to find him eating with the stage crew. He was very polite and friendly, unlike the artsy type I always expected. And, oh yeah, he RAWKED!!! So did Phil Collins 10 years ago.

• Members

Originally posted by thelurker

My personal favorite is "A Trick of the Tail", the first album after Gabriel left.

Worked a Gabriel show last year, was surprised to find him eating with the stage crew. He was very polite and friendly, unlike the artsy type I always expected. And, oh yeah, he RAWKED!!! So did Phil Collins 10 years ago.

You worked a Gabriel show? I hate you!

:mad:

I saw the Growing Up tour and it was hands down the best sounding concert I have ever heard. Ever.

And it was outdoors! :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Mike in Albany

One of my all time favorite bands. Phil was heard mentioning that he would be game for a re-union with him on the drums and Pete on vocals. I'd pay for that show in a hearbeat!

HELL YEAH!

very few reunions would beat that one (Pink Floyd being the only one I can immediately think of)

that would be incredible

• Members

Originally posted by sheepdog

HELL YEAH!

very few reunions would beat that one (Pink Floyd being the only one I can immediately think of)

that would be incredible

The problem is that they only really developed a large following in the states well after Gabriel left. Few typical US Genesis fans would recognize any of the songs.

• Members

Two other things. First, Duke is an AWESOME album, too!

The other, listen to "Genesis Revisited", an album done primarily by Steve Hackett, but done with everybody from Tony Levin to John Wetton. It's re-makes of many old Genesis songs, but done with the London Philharmonic. Bruford's on it too, as well as Chester Thompson, and many others. It sounds awesome!

Listen and enjoy! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Mike in Albany

One of my all time favorite bands. Phil was heard mentioning that he would be game for a re-union with him on the drums and Pete on vocals. I'd pay for that show in a hearbeat!

My favorite band ever. Period. I was introduced to The Lamb just as it was released and was hooked. I have all their stuff as well as a vhs documentary and their "Genesis Song Book" DVD, also a documentary - made after the breakup.

I was on ebay about four or so years ago and couldn't believe my eyes. ALL the Genesis stuff, from guitars to raw speakers and tickets, to drum machines (Including the original Phil used for Duke), was being sold there. And at a time is was temporarily stone cold broke! GRRRRR!!!!

Their live DVD has multiple camera angles, I've watched the concert many times from different perspectives.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

The problem is that they only really developed a large following in the states well after Gabriel left. Few typical US Genesis fans would recognize any of the songs.

Their biggest fan base was in Italy, believe it or not. They were more popular there than pretty much anywhere else.

• Members

Two other things. First, Duke is an AWESOME album, too!

The other, listen to "Genesis Revisited", an album done primarily by Steve Hackett, but done with everybody from Tony Levin to John Wetton. It's re-makes of many old Genesis songs, but done with the London Philharmonic. Bruford's on it too, as well as Chester Thompson, and many others. It sounds awesome!

Listen and enjoy!
:D

Steve Hackett played at the Triple Door here is Seattle last month, a half block from my office. It was an acoustic thing with his brother and another musician. I believe his brother was on flute. I found out about it completely by accident and had already made concrete plans for the night.

I'd love to have seen him play in such a venue.

Bummer again...

• Members

I should probably point out that my handle and sig is from "Dodo/The Lurker" from ABACAB.

"Meanwhile, lurking by a stone in the mud,

two eyes looked to see

where I was.

And then something spoke

and this is what it said to me...(Keyboard solo)

On freerepublic, one of the guys there goes by "the eleventh earl of mar".

Archived